Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Feline flea treatment?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 12:00 am 
So my cat had no fleas (that I know of) when I returned to Verlot from Idaho about a month ago, but due to the unseasonably warm and dry weather here up until about 2 weeks ago the fleas were horrible. I have used Frontline drops in the past with good results but the last time I treated him he went crazy, running in and out of the cat door. I guess it was either burning him or the fleas were going crazy, who knows? I also treated two other cats at that time and they didn't seem to have a problem. I have been using a flea comb on him frequently and sometimes find none, sometimes 4-5. I have read that natural remedies like lemon juice and vinegar don't really work, but I am hesitant to use harsh chemicals on him because of his age (15) and the reaction he had, plus last June he got really sick, lost appetite and weight and nearly died, so that makes me even more afraid of chemicals. I joined a social media cat lovers forum and a lot of people recommended a Seresto flea collar, seems like that might be a better alternative than drops since I can remove the collar when the fleas are gone or if he has a reaction. Anyone have experience with those collars and/or might have a better recommendation? I also ordered some flea traps and spray and have considered flea shampoo but giving a cat a bath could be a problem. I also heard that Dawn soap works good, maybe applied to the flea comb?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 9:34 am 
Bravecto flea drops are every 2 months. Work very well, and don't have to do often. I don't think they hurt, cats just hate being wet. Bear doesn't trust me for a few days afterwards.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 12:49 pm 
I vacuumed my lab. He liked that. Vacuuming a cat? It might work, or not, but no chemicals are used.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 3:01 pm 
That's funny. When I vacuum my cat evacuates the area immediately. Then out female orange cat just sits there looking annoyed, amazing how much different their personalities can be. I found that salt helps repel them, so I sprinkled a bunch on the carpet and bedding. I also have some food grade Diatomaceous earth that I put on the carpet and furniture and I think it can be mixed in with their food as well. I wouldn't be as worried about it but I don't want to infest my Mom's place when I go to Idaho here in a few weeks and there are also two cats there too. Essentially I have declared "War on Fleas"....but don't really want to use Chemical Warfare..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 4:12 pm 
The Slightly Used Dog I have now is deathly afraid of the vacuum. I would feel cruel if I used it on her.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Chief Joseph
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:19 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I found that salt helps repel them, so I sprinkled a bunch on the carpet and bedding. I also have some food grade Diatomaceous earth that I put on the carpet and furniture and I think it can be mixed in with their food as well.
When I had a dog, I used the services of "Fleabusters" to do my home. Totally non-toxic. It "dessicates" the fleas. But you can now buy their product and do it yourself, just follow directions carefully. I don't know about diatomaceous earth or salt; at least one reviewer on their website says they don't really work.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:52 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The Slightly Used Dog
Funny, I sometimes morph our pets names into something else...my cats actual name is Dakota, then my daughter called him 'Coda, then I called him Bearcat, then sometimes Spare cat since we had so many cats at the time. Now sometimes I call him Bear Kitty, but usually it's Bearcat. Thanks Annie, might try that. The flea trap thing came in the mail, it plugs into the wall, fleas are attracted to it and are killed, can't hurt I suppose.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 1:52 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
When I vacuum my cat evacuates the area immediately.
I got a robot vacuum because Parsley has asthma. Vacuuming every day helps a lot. Bear thinks the vacuum is a playmate. He follows it around, sometimes he'll lay in its path taunting it with belly.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 9:02 pm 
We used to get a flea medicine from the vet, and it worked well, but they stopped producing it. The vet recommended either Frontline or Advantage, which I was able to get from Costco, but it barely seems to work. The fleas are so bad this year! I just got a bag of diatomaceous earth from the bougie pet store. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know if it works. The gal there also said to vacuum around the house where the pet is every day. You can also put diatomaceous earth in the vacuum canister to help kill the flea eggs and fleas in there. Apparently if you buy the food grade it can even be eaten by the pet? And kill parasites inside? I really hope this works, we are having a really hard time with the stupid parasites this year, and we don't even have carpet any more.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com

Chief Joseph
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 9:58 am 
My Vet. wife, Board certified in Internal Medicine, says while diatomaceous earth ‘might’ kill flea and tick eggs in your vacuum or house, feeding such to your pets will do nothing. (Although, it probably isn’t harmful to them, either.)