Forum Index > Trail Talk > Garmin published some SOS data
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 12:20 pm 
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/saved-by-garmin/data-insights-from-10000-garmin-inreach-sos-incidents/ For example, what were people doing when they called for help?

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CS

CS
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 8:54 pm 
I wonder what that one sos from Antarctica was about…

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 10:57 pm 
Bipedalism is a dangerous and the data proves it.

KascadeFlat
Owler

Owler
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 7:41 am 
Well this proves the "trail runners get hurt more in the back country debate". I don't see trailrunning on the list! wink.gif

catsp

catsp
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 8:21 am 
Owler wrote:
Well this proves the "trail runners get hurt more in the back country debate". I don't see trailrunning on the list! wink.gif
Although it doesn't actually indicate it in any way, because it supports my preferred narrative I'd have to say that logic and common sense dictates, indeed mandates, that trailrunning is almost certainly included within the hiking category to begin with. Moreover, there's another graphic in the blog post that shows "who are the people triggering an SOS for?" Nearly 20% are made not for the inReach subscriber, but for a third person. Although it doesn't actually provide any further specificity whatsoever, under the same line of reasoning it seems manifestly obvious that these third party SOS overwhelmingly represent hikers triggering an SOS for woebegone trailrunners.

brewermd  KascadeFlat
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 9:28 am 
catsp wrote:
Although it doesn't actually indicate it in any way, because it supports my preferred narrative I'd have to say that logic and common sense dictates, indeed mandates, that trailrunning is almost certainly included within the hiking category to begin with. Moreover, there's another graphic in the blog post that shows "who are the people triggering an SOS for?" Nearly 20% are made not for the inReach subscriber, but for a third person. Although it doesn't actually provide any further specificity whatsoever, under the same line of reasoning it seems manifestly obvious that these third party SOS overwhelmingly represent hikers triggering an SOS for woebegone trailrunners.
With this "logic" you might as well just declare it manifestly obvious that every slice of every graph is referring to elephants. It's obvious! The truth is the data simply doesn't say what you want to read out of it.

catsp

catsp
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 8:35 pm 
I believe my wholly unsupported inferences have simply followed the data, and have unwavering confidence in my unwarranted conclusions.

Kim Brown  breadcrumb, joker, KascadeFlat
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 11:19 pm 
When Curtis Brothers rose to power in the Los Angeles business scene, he claimed that going based on gut feel was still the way to go over looking at these statistics

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 9:45 pm 

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 10:08 pm 
catsp wrote:
I believe my wholly unsupported inferences have simply followed the data, and have unwavering confidence in my unwarranted conclusions.
Lol, reminds me of something I watched on the world news tonight regarding an ex-NFL player. wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 11:12 am 
Pie charts are hated in the data visualization industry. Too ambiguous. A bar chart would have been way easier to read. Add tool tips to show underlying data for each one. But in fact it does all boil down to 42.

"May you live in interesting times"