Forum Index > Gear Talk > What are you using as a ziploc alternative?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 3:14 pm 
If you're like me, you have a pile of ziplocs and other plastic bags in some state of reuse in your gear closet. I feel good about how much I reuse them. New ones are used for garbage, trailmix, etc. When I get back from a trip, if a new one hasn't been used, it's still in the "new" pile even if it came with me. Then as they get more use they go down the ladder of usability, cycling down through guyline bag, starbucks via bag, rando cord bag. I still feel like it's wasting a lot. Does anyone use a truly reusable ziploc alternative that's just as lightweight? I have some of the heavy ziploc style multi-use bags for kid's lunches, etc, but they are heavier, less pliable, and tough to clean.

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 3:52 pm 
wish there was, because even though I try to reuse them over and over, I'm always amazed at how many end up either in the recycle or going to a landfill. at least the effort's being made to reduce the quantity.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 4:01 pm 
Freezer bags can be reued a lot longer. For God's sake when they are shot, take them home for a decent burial.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

sarbar
fjoro

fjoro
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 5:14 pm 
Find a neighbor with a Ridwell box and sneak them into the Plastic Film sack.

How would Horatio Alger have handled this situation?
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 12:35 am 
Rick Davis used to keep cereal in those things

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 2:26 pm 
As Mal suggests, I use the freezer bags. I use them over and over and over and over again. Haven't purchased a box of these things in a very long time because I re-use them.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Luc

Luc
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 2:38 pm 
I'm using freezer bags for food and smelly items but they are on the same track of reuse. Depending on the intensity of trips, I can get maybe a dozen uses out of them. But once they've been abused by the backcountry they're no longer usable for food/smelly items.

GNGSTR
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 10:59 am 
I stayed at a backcountry ski lodge that as of last winter had gone from providing Ziplock bags to something like these (might even have BEEN these) - silicone sliding channel type bags that they use over and over from week to week. I have no idea how long they last since I only used the one they gave me for my daily snacks storage, but they seemed robust and quite washable.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:12 pm 
I use and reuse pretty much as others have described here. Don't throw away unless they start leaking or the seal falls apart. If I'm particularly worried about a bag's previous contents (like meat), I soak them for a while in a dilute bleach solution. My local market has large disposal containers for "plastic film" although I don't actually know if this includes this kind of plastic.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Luc

Luc
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:18 pm 
joker wrote:
something like these (might even have BEEN these) - silicone sliding channel type bags
That's what I was referring to. I have some in my kitchen for kid's lunches, but think they're too heavy for gram counting. To Anne: same on reuse until big leakage. I don't wash them very often though. Instead I cycle them through different uses. If there are tiny holes, I'm still fine with using them for things like fishing gear or guy lines, etc.

GNGSTR
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 2:04 pm 
Luc wrote:
joker wrote:
something like these (might even have BEEN these) - silicone sliding channel type bags
That's what I was referring to. I have some in my kitchen for kid's lunches, but think they're too heavy for gram counting.
Yeah, I think there's no free lunch here though. To be durable enough for long haul reuse, I think a molded silicone sorta thing is probably about what's needed, and I can't imagine making a lighter one that would hold up. If you're going to use a bunch of them for a backpacking trip I can see the gram weeny concern but at least for handy dayhike snacks I didn't think this was unacceptably heavy.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 6:07 pm 
Clearly, the guys who made the first ascents of Everest (etc) were made of tougher stuff than 21st century outdoors persons. Hey! that could be a new kind of test-your-mettle challenge for those who are into such things: do (whatever gee-whiz thing you just accomplished) with the equipment from about ... 1940. Or 30. See how you hold up. hockeygrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 6:31 pm 
I wrap my lembas in mallorn leaves. Works pretty well.

zimmertr  Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 7:15 pm 
I recently finished off a large bag of beef jerky with a zip lock top and I noticed that it is the perfect size to fit two 10-12" trout depending upon heads or sans heads, so I saved it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Nov 18, 2022 10:47 pm 
FWIW, got no idea if these work well, but saw this review last week. https://www.backpacker.com/gear/stoves-cookware/cookware-reviews/this-reusable-ziploc-bag-is-changing-how-i-cook-in-camp/ "This Reusable Ziploc Bag Is Changing How I Cook in Camp Goodbye clunky plastic containers and disposable packaging: This is how I'm rehydrating my meals from now on."

Off trail rambler