Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Waterproof phone cases?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 3:32 pm 
I use a pattern to unlock my phone. Or my watch. Fingerprint sensor has always been imperfect.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 7:44 pm 
On every phone I've ever had with a rear fingerprint sensor it's been perfect. The instant your finger touches the sensor it unlocks. No need to add multiple fingerprints like you need to do on the pixel 6 just to get it to recognize one fingerprint. And then they limit how many fingerprints you can add so you can only add a few fingers with multiples. Pattern unlock takes about as long as the pixel 6 takes to read a fingerprint. They have improved it slightly with software updates but it's still not as good as the front fingerprint sensors on competitor phones.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 8:06 pm 
Skip to 11 min for fingerprint sensor.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 8:27 pm 
Oh, it's war Tom jab.gif Here are 17 unlocks for you on my Pixel 6, recorded with my Pixel 3 (After struggling for about 2 to get it to open the camera app):
Here is my Pixel 3 STRUGGLING to upload the video I took above:
Here is my Pixel 6 RAPIDLY uploading the video I took of the Pixel 3 struggling:
I think Tom has weird fingerprints. bart.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 7:21 am 
I'm just trying to help others make an informed decision. If slow or spotty fingerprint unlock doesn't bother you then it might be an excellent choice. Even you brought up the fingerprint sensor before I said anything so I don't think it's my thumb, I think you've gotten used to it. Also, your video is of the flattest part of the finger on the sensor. More common scenario is partial tip or corner of thumb on sensor while holding phone, it will be slower and struggle more, see the Flossy Carter video for real world examples. If it had face unlock as an alternative I'd be much happier. Hopefully the Pixel 7 will implement a faster sensor on par with other flagships. If you want to do a speed comparison, compare against another flagship device. Of course, a 4-year-old phone isn't going to be as fast uploading videos. BTW double click the power button twice to open the camera app. No need to unlock and way faster than anything else. The reason I disabled the screen lock on my Pixel 6 is to subsequently review images with fewer expletives.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 9:46 am 
Getting back to the OPs inquiry about waterproof options, I ended up dunking my Pixel 6 yesterday and it survived without incident. Had it in my top shirt pocket and it fell into the lake while bending over to filter some water. Was immersed for 5 about seconds in a foot of water. Despite my quibbles, it's hard not to recommend as a camera phone. I'll put up a TR later with a variety of pics but overall I was impressed. Edit: pics here. Processing is improved over my Pixel 3, I had to tinker less with the images to get the result I wanted, while keeping things real. In terms of the 4x zoom, I'm a little torn. its really nice to have that 4x when you want it (see cropped shot of fighter jet) but it's a little long for most shots and the 1x is actually quite wide, much wider than my Pixel 3.

fourteen410
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 10:18 am 
Does it allow to turn the software sharpening down?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 10:38 am 
By default it doesn't really oversharpen and results are pretty natural, more so than other phones. About the only options you have up front are white balance and exposure, but the camera does a great job on both, especially the exposure as that's were you're getting a lot of bang for your buck with the processing. There is a RAW option if phone you want to mess with the finer details. I'm really impressed with google's post-processing options. Lots of options, in many cases better results than photoshop. Sadly the more robust options are only available on the phone. Not sure why, maybe it has more photo data to work from, but the web version of google photos doesn't hold a candle.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 12:01 am 
Had one that went to FULL SUBMERGE. it held out under FULL SUBMERGE

neek

neek
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 8:06 am 
Random thoughts on a few of the comments here. I had a Fire phone once (!!) that was destroyed by sweat. Modern phones hold up better under a...full submerge, although I do worry a little about cumulative effects. Waterproof case seems like a reasonable idea, and for those of us who have a tendency to pull our phones out way more often than necessary, may come with other benefits. (As an aside - while I don't like solving tech problems with yet more tech, I have found that a good watch can partially solve this problem as well, since it provides most of the functionality you need in a phone and none that you don't. Although this isn't quite as true when your phone is your camera.) Anyway let us know if you find a good case. I've come to dislike phone photos not because of sharpening (with that small of a sensor you kind of need to be heavy handed with sharpening and noise reduction) but because of HDR and whatever other computational photography they're applying to get the most instagram-worthy images. On the Pixel you can turn off HDR+ but then it still goes overboard with tone mapping (or something) IMO. For sure, many phone pics are just fine, and the computational tricks can indeed make impossible lighting scenarios serviceable. But you're always going to be limited by a small sensor and cheap optics, there's no way around that. The newest phones have face recognition AI that is supposed to improve lighting on faces but often just makes them look like they're photoshopped onto the scene. HDR (especially in iphones) completely murders sunsets. (I'm basing this all on a fairly small sample size, so folks may very well have counterexamples.) With a real camera I have to deal with blown highlights and difficult shadows but I've come to appreciate getting what you want out of a scene vs. what the phone thinks you should want. It means extra time post processing, but I'd rather have quality over quantity. Done with off topic and unsubstantiated rant, now for the off topic Pixel stuff. My wife has a 6 (not Pro) and I agree there are some rough edges but it's not too bad. No surprise given that that model overhauled the camera, processor, fingerprint sensor, and other components. My 3XL is on its last legs but I'm holding out for the 7, hoping it will be more or less a refinement of the 6. Hard to say whether the Pro will make sense; zoom is nice but more at stake if you lose or drop a heavy expensive phone. 7 will have face unlock which might make people care less about the fingerprint issues.

fourteen410
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 8:50 am 
Shooting in raw should solve most of your image processing complaints which is supported by the new camera app. But then you have to do post processing on your images which is something I personally never feel I have time for. Sunsets aren't the only thing Apples image processing murders. Their artificial pixel paint-in stuff makes photos look like an oil painting up close instead of noisy and I really dislike that.

neek

neek
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 9:05 am 
zimmertr wrote:
Their artificial pixel paint-in stuff makes photos look like an oil painting up close instead of noisy and I really dislike that.
Oh no kidding. I think people who post digital-zoom shots must have vision problems. Or assume no one is going to view full size. Waste of bandwidth, although I'm sure they compress well. I do wonder, however, if AI enhancement may one day (automatically) fill in these details better than hardware could. Kind of scary to think about. Hey, the bear didn't really have hairs exactly like that, but it looks completely real, so who cares? (Sorry, now I'm way out in left field.)

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 10:53 am 
Whose eye is that, on the right?
Whose eye is that, on the right?

Slim
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 2:37 pm 
Coming back to the original "waterproof phone case" theme for this thread smile.gif , an inexpensive, easy, yet very waterproof option is to make your own bag using "iron to seal" waterproof nylon from Seattle Fabrics. Here is a pic of a camera bag I made years ago for Seakayaking:
I drew a red line to show where the heat sealing starts along the outer edge. The only sewing is for the closure. And if I were doing this for a phone, I wouldn't bother with the sealing strap shown, I would just make it using a roll top seal with mating velcro strips.

Cyclopath
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 11:56 pm 
That is similar to the float bag I got for my GPS years ago. Only problem is you cannot use phone in it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Tom