Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Buying firewood off Craigslist.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 2:07 pm 
I am considering getting some firewood off Craigslist. I am interested in clean, dry, seasoned firewood. I would like Madrone, Maple, and/or Fir. I have found some sellers and note that the prices are all over the place but tend to be rather high. I think a half-cord would be sufficient. I don't really have a woodshed and I don't want to overload the porch. I should think that I would want to drive out to see the wood first rather than have some one drive up with a load that might be not up to standard or desirable. My truck bed is short and the cubic volume is 33.9. A half cord is 64 cubic feet. So I reckon I would have to have it delivered and pay a delivery fee too. Otherwise I would have to make two trips there. Probably best to find someone within a reasonable drive of West Seattle. Been trying to read up on it a bit. Wondering if anyone here gets their wood from CL and what sort of experience they had? Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 3:24 pm 
I have a friend that lives in Ocean Shores that found a place down around Tacoma I think, I will send him a message. Last year he was able to go pick up some good, well seasoned maple at a good price. I think they also sell half cords which many sellers don't. I will text him for further info.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 3:58 pm 
He just messaged me and unfortunately the place is a lot further than I thought, it's in Chehalis. If anyone wants the info send me a PM.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 4:02 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
it's in Chehalis
Hoo boy. That's a drive. But thanks for checking. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 4:40 pm 
Good luck. There's a lot of unscrupulous firewood sellers out there. If they deliver, try to get them to stack it so you can measure it. Shouldn't take long to do that with a half cord.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 8:34 pm 
I don't have a real email address for David but he is in the Redmond area. $250 per generous cord delivered to my Redmond address. Mostly nice Doug Fir. He has a 1 cord dump trailer. Early this summer I bought 2 cords and would buy again. Kicking myself that I do not have a real email address for this guy. This old one from Craigs likely is no longer any good. b38d401cc2013a1cafb001114442250c@sale.craigslist.org Says he donates all the $ to his son's boy scout troop. Later in the summer a neighbor had a tree service take down some semi dead Doug Fir. I wound up with the logs and put up 4 cords of Doug Fir. The bucking/splitting was done during the roasty toasty weather but when I hauled the logs home chained to the tractor bucket I dropped them around a couple of big trees in our pasture so I could always work in the shade at different times of the day.

Chief Joseph
iron

iron
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 12:59 am 
as someone who has collected 20+ cords of free firewood from CL ads, i feel qualified here (even though i've never bought presplit stuff) there is no single seller out there that will give you seasoned wood. none. it's not possible. for them to season it means that they split it, stacked it in a dry spot for at least a year, likely two, and now is handing over to you. not gonna happen. some stuff seasons faster than others, but unless it's split to 2" pieces, it takes at least a year. before we moved to canada, i had 14 cords of storage cobbled together around the perimeter of my house. it was a lot of work late at night to go get the wood, then split, and stack, and burn, and clean, etc. but, my wood was perfectly seasoned. i argue that you need a 3 year rotating cycle to get correct seasoning of wood in W. WA.

Now I Fly, Ski
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 1:35 am 
What you say makes sense Iron, especially in the high humidity of the Robe valley rain forest. I cut some silver fir two years ago and it still is not quite there. It's much better in the lower humidity of Northern Idaho, drier conditions and hotter summers. I have only bought wood once in my life as I typically cut my own, but I have a friend near Priest lake that has a line on THE best firewood that I have ever used. It's ancient dead standing Tamarack that burned decades ago in a fire. It is bark free, and twice as big around as any live Tamarack I have seen, about 40" circumference. It splits easy, is very heavy, yet burns perfectly like coal, for wood of that quality I will pay. $250 per cord, delivered but mostly not split....still well worth it.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 7:39 am 
iron wrote:
not gonna happen.
That also goes for having the person who delivers the wood stack it for you. Unless you pay extra above what was quoted for delivery, not gonna happen.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 9:15 am 
iron wrote:
"...free firewood from CL ads..."
Always multiple listings for free firewood after any major windstorm. Check the ads on Monday - there will be several. Be sure to have a sharp chain on your saw and a full tank of gas in your truck when you go to pick it up. That guy that came over and picked up all the madrone out in front brought his three kids with him to help load. He took it off at the ground and hauled off everything that was bigger than an inch in diameter. They were here for about three hours. Took me another two hours to clean up the rest of the litter and haul it off.
and yeah .... iron's comments are spot on.... obviously the man has been burning wood for a few years. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 12:33 pm 
I bought firewood once. The guy did offer to stack it. I'd only bought a cord. Maybe it has to do with being a woman? I also knew the guy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 2:33 pm 
Yea, my Mom received 3 cords per year for 250 each delivered split and stacked and even split small so sho could lift it. But then she used him a lot for odd jobs and construction too. There are a few sellers that have well seasoned wood. My friend said that the place on Chahalis keeps a backstock of wood for several years before they sell it, it’s commercial operation.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 2:53 am 
iron wrote:
as someone who has collected 20+ cords of free firewood from CL ads, i feel qualified here (even though i've never bought presplit stuff) there is no single seller out there that will give you seasoned wood. none. it's not possible. for them to season it means that they split it, stacked it in a dry spot for at least a year, likely two, and now is handing over to you. not gonna happen. some stuff seasons faster than others, but unless it's split to 2" pieces, it takes at least a year. before we moved to canada, i had 14 cords of storage cobbled together around the perimeter of my house. it was a lot of work late at night to go get the wood, then split, and stack, and burn, and clean, etc. but, my wood was perfectly seasoned. i argue that you need a 3 year rotating cycle to get correct seasoning of wood in W. WA.
As a person that has collected 14-16 free cords a year from craigslist, for the last 7 or so years, and chopped it all by hand , to sell 10 of those cords (only hardwoods)on craigslist, all stacked in half cords, on pallets and top covered, seasoned to 20% or less, I feel I am also qualified. I give people seasoned wood every year, without complaints and with return customers. I sell my half cords for $360-$460 with delivery, not cheap. All but a couple species around here will season within a full 365 day year, most in 6-10 months. The only two types of wood I have come across that will not season in a year is oak and Hawthorn. Everything else I have chopped will season fully within a year. We have a pretty good selection of firewood around here. Some of the wood species I've had experience with are; Oak, Beech, madrona, holly, yew, dogwood, locust, apple, cherry, plum, hazelnut, walnut, maple, birch, fir, tree of heaven, poplar, cedar, pine, gum, elm, alder. I do chop my wood smaller than most people on craigslist from what I hear from customers and I do agree that craigslist is a total crapshoot. But there are a few out there that still do it right. Three years is good for oak maybe but birch is going to be mush by then. I used to burn 6 cords a year as the primary heat source for my house, october to march. We had an open fireplace up until this past year when I bought a Lopi hybrid insert. Wow what a difference and a great investment. I figure I will burn less than three cords this year. Man I could talk firewood for hours. Check out my video "man chopping firewood" on youtube. Took the Men's Mental Heath Chopping Challenge.
My stack was 14'x10'x1.5' or about a cord and a half. 48 minutes to chop it all. If anyone is looking for firewood next year send me a message. It'll be seasoned and ready to go by late august. I'll be all sold out by oct though so don't wait. I'm about 15 miles north of Seattle.

none

Chief Joseph
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 3:24 am 
Sculpin wrote:
iron wrote:
not gonna happen.
That also goes for having the person who delivers the wood stack it for you. Unless you pay extra above what was quoted for delivery, not gonna happen.
Absolutely. I'll deliver for $60 to most places around Seattle but I will not stack for any reasonable amount of money. Love chopping, hate stacking.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 3:39 am 
zephyr wrote:
I am considering getting some firewood off Craigslist. I am interested in clean, dry, seasoned firewood. I would like Madrone, Maple, and/or Fir. I have found some sellers and note that the prices are all over the place but tend to be rather high. I think a half-cord would be sufficient. I don't really have a woodshed and I don't want to overload the porch. I should think that I would want to drive out to see the wood first rather than have some one drive up with a load that might be not up to standard or desirable. My truck bed is short and the cubic volume is 33.9. A half cord is 64 cubic feet. So I reckon I would have to have it delivered and pay a delivery fee too. Otherwise I would have to make two trips there. Probably best to find someone within a reasonable drive of West Seattle. Been trying to read up on it a bit. Wondering if anyone here gets their wood from CL and what sort of experience they had? Thanks, ~z
If you are still need of firewood send me a message. I can spare about a half cord form my personal stash but its alder. Same BTUs as fir though and coals up nicer. You can come take a look first if you are worried about it being seasoned. I don't sell wood with rot or insect damage. This is last seasons inventory. I'm north of Seattle. Thanks

none

Joey, Sculpin