Forum Index > Trail Talk > Search underway for missing hiker ONP 11/03/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 3:58 pm 
Thursday Nov 3 2022 15:40 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Search underway for missing hiker ONP 11/03/22 PORT ANGELES, Wash. – A search is currently underway for a hiker reported missing at 10 am on November 2, 2022. Laura Macke is a 35-year-old female, 5’6” tall, 200 pounds with curly, light brown hair in a bob cut. Macke had a backcountry permit for October 30-31, 2022 and was traveling solo with an intended route to the Enchanted Valley, stopping to camp at Pyrites Creek. She indicated that she would still be in the backcountry on November 1 but has not returned. Macke is known to hike in a black and white striped shirt, black rain jacket and maroon colored puffy jacket. Search and Rescue personnel hiked into the wilderness on Thursday to begin a hasty search of the area after Macke was reported missing. A US Coast Guard helicopter conducted a preliminary search but was impeded by changing weather. Additional searches will take place on Friday, November 4. If you were in the area of Lake Quinault, Graves Creek, or Enchanted Valley between October 30 and November 1 or have any information regarding this individual, please call or text the tip line at 1-888-653-0009, submit a tip online at go.nps.gov/SubmitATip, or email nps_isb@nps.gov Information from other day hikers and backpackers is often extremely valuable. CALL or TEXT the ISB Tip Line: 1-888-653-0009 ONLINE: go.nps.gov/SubmitATip EMAIL: nps_isb@nps.gov EMERGENCY: Dial 9-1-1 -NPS-
Laura Macke NPS 11/03/22
Laura Macke NPS 11/03/22

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 9:33 pm 
Presumably a strong pair should have made it as far as the chalet, while making a brief pass through the few off trail benches by now.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 2:33 pm 
Hoping for good news. The weather has not been kind.

Kellbell
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 2:52 pm 
The weather is nasty out there on the west end. Hoping for a good ending on this! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 4:09 pm 
I wonder of her vehicle was located at the trailhead. I've been asked "how much further to the chalet" on the N. Fork of the Quinault. Hope she's found soon!

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 10:20 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
The weather has not been kind.
I can't stop thinking about what it would be like to be lost out there these last couple days. "She'll have a great story" is what I keep telling myself. I sure hope that is the case, anyway

chilge

chilge
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 8:31 pm 
Can you please share the source of your info? I really hope it is true. The family has started a Facebook page to share updates and I don't see anything to indicate she was rescued. The latest update was that they stopped searching for the day at 5 PM with no findings.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 9:48 pm 
I haven't seen anything about her being found either.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 10:04 am 
Yea, I haven't seen anything on any of the Peninsula hiking, park, or news pages about Laura Macke being found. I think the above report that she was found is mistaken. Still holding out hope for a good ending on this. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 10:48 am 
We were in about 6 mi and back last month. The trail is an abandoned road to the point where it drops to Pony Bridge. The drop part is quite steep and loose as mule teams had been on it to reconstruct the bridge. The ridge had some gaps that were being filled. I do not know if work had been completed but the mules left when we were there. The section past the bridge is a steep side hill with near 100’ sheer drops to the gorge in places that were somewhat obscured by undergrowth. We turned around when the trail neared the river. There were many through hikers on the trail that day. Hope she is OK.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 12:18 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
There were many through hikers on the trail that day.
There is a through hike in the Olympics?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 12:25 pm 
Short one from Dose to Quinault over Anderson pass, not exactly the PCT doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Chief Joseph
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 1:03 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Short one from Dose to Quinault over Anderson pass, not exactly the PCT doh.gif
Also the PNT comes through the Olympics and ends (or starts depending on East vs West start point) at Cape Alava. Rumi

Chief Joseph
Doomgoggles
Valar

Doomgoggles
Valar
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 1:21 pm 
Yes, her car (a rental) was found at the Graves Creek TH: https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/woman-missing-5-days-is-experienced-hiker/ As of this morning, S&R is still operating, now with an infrared drone: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1599582887166512

Now for wrath, now for ruin...and the Red Dawn!

Kellbell, KascadeFlat
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 7:58 pm 
She's still out there, it's been 10 days since her trip began. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

RumiDude  KascadeFlat, chilge