Forum Index > Trail Talk > gulo gulo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sticky buns

sticky buns
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm 
Just sharing this short video about the Cascade Wolverine Project. The video was recently released online. I found it well done. If you're out in the backcountry in the winter, keep your eyes out for tracks. video: https://vimeo.com/629606430 info on documenting and submitting tracks: https://cascadeswolverineproject.org/get-involved/

grannyhiker, Anne Elk, Bramble_Scramble, Kascadia, Lightning_bug, brewermd, jstern  abkoch3  Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 10:33 am 
This was a fantastic watch. Thank you for sharing this with us! Anybody who hasn't seen this yet, it's worth your 27 minutes.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 10:37 am 
Love it! Thank you for posting. I didn't know about the sheep history; I mean the why there were so many here; I knew about the impact of vegetation, but didn't realize about the poison humans used to protect them.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 12:41 pm 
I think it's less than accurate to claim that the wolverine's numbers declined so precipitously due to poisoning/trapping/shooting by sheep ranchers in the 1920s and 1930s. All species of fur-bearing animals were trapped almost to extinction here under the auspices of the Hudson Bay Company and the British Crown, who figured that if there were no fur-bearing animals left, there would be no reason the Americans would want the real estate. What good are mountains, anyway? Most species of fur-bearing animals in Washington and Oregon were fairly well wiped out prior to 1900 - it's amazing the sea otter, fisher, and wolverine managed to survive at all.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Bootpathguy
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 12:48 pm 
It contributed, and that is something I didn't know about.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 12:59 pm 
Oh, it contributed to their demise significantly - same as the cougar shooters up on the Peninsula - but their numbers had already been reduced significantly prior to 1900 by trappers/shooters. It's an obscure snip that has conveniently been omitted from history books. We seem to make a habit of doing that - failing to mention our most serious errors in judgment, particularly when they might sully the otherwise sterling reputations of both the U.S. and Britain when it comes to "protecting the environment".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Navy salad, Bootpathguy
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 2:02 pm 
Well I think the video Stickybuns posted is more about researching their recovery, so I didn't expect it to go into a million details about how they got to where they are. As I noted, it was interesting to know the reason there were so many sheep herds back in the day. This video, and this video's particular subjects, was really interesting to watch.

Bootpathguy
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 8:38 pm 

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

Navy salad, Cyclopath, Ski, brewermd, Lightning_bug
PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 7:01 pm 
Opening audio is hilarious "fresh deer kill, tons of blood, everything you could want". I give my money to the orangutans but that's just me.

Ski
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 7:41 pm 
Thanks, sticky buns, for sharing this fascinating video!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey