Forum Index > Trail Talk > If it ain't one thing, it's another; snow next week?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 6:12 am 
NWS extended Discussion this am:
Quote:
On Sunday, a robust shortwave trough dives quickly south from the Gulf of Alaska to the coast of WA. Plenty of moisture along its associated sfc cold frontal boundary will spread another quick round of widespread precipitation across the area. This will likely lead to a period of heavy mountain snow above 2000 feet, especially across the Olympics, with rain in the lowlands. This feature will then slowly begin to migrate inland over the area, where it will help drop snow levels down towards 1000-1500ft (500-1000ft in the Cascades). A period of heavy snow is possible in the Cascades into Monday, with showers elsewhere. Currently, the best chance for a rain/snow mix appears to be across Whatcom County where snow levels may hover between ~700-1000ft. There is some discrepancy at the end of the forecast period in regards to the location of the upper low, but the majority of ensemble solutions prefer to keep it very close to the coast and very strong. Snow levels are likely to drop further as this takes place, to perhaps between 800-1000ft (just a few hundred feet over the Cascades). Moisture is in question by this time, with mountain snow showers a sure bet if moisture is present. As for the lowlands, areas up north from Skagit to Whatcom could see either a rain/snow mix or some light snow if moisture is present. Elsewhere currently looks like cold rain showers with perhaps a wet flake or two mixed in, especially on hilltops. Snow levels will continue to be monitored during this time period, as they have been slowly trending lower. Moisture is not overly impressive at this time, even if snow levels were to trend lower. Kovacik

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 8:11 am 
Central Oregon, around Bend, already got several inches of snow yesterday. It's snowing hard on I-84 from Pendleton to Baker City and at Siskiyou Pass on I-5.

Cyclopath
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 8:50 am 
Short half inch at our place in Sequim this morning.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 6:36 pm 
The white death has arrived in the Sunny Okanogan.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

ChinookPass, runup
gb

gb
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 6:37 am 
treeswarper wrote:
The white death has arrived in the Sunny Okanogan.
I most likely got my last hike into Eastern Washington on Wednesday to Cowiche Mountain. I wonder if I will still be alive (at my age) by the time spring finally comes; it certainly doesn't seem so philosophically at this time of year. Soon the pall of smoke will be forgotten and the endless veil of cloud and fog will descend; 33 degrees and foggy. Cowiche was beautiful with still lots of birds and fall colors not yet at peak at the base of Cowiche Mountain. The day began mostly sunny, but it soon became evident that there was a wall of snow coming out of Wenas Valley. In due course, towards the top of Cowiche, it began to snow or flurry, was windy and pretty cold. But the snow did not stick, yet. But one could see at least some fresh snow not very high up above a lot of 90. The Mission Ridge webcam showed maybe 4" of new snow. The west side did not get these snow squalls. Good night, Irene.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 10:19 am 
We had just enough to turn the ground white, then things warmed up and it turned to rain. The snow is gone in the valley. It's just a very dark day.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
philfort

philfort
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 1:23 pm 
Impressive amounts of rain at Snoqualmie Pass today - averaging more than a half inch an hour for the past several hours. Middle Fork Snoqualmie is at 13100 cf/s (previous record for today was 10200).

fourteen410, joker
gb

gb
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 5:08 pm 
philfort wrote:
Impressive amounts of rain at Snoqualmie Pass today - averaging more than a half inch an hour for the past several hours. Middle Fork Snoqualmie is at 13100 cf/s (previous record for today was 10200).
I looked up Alpental, the rainfall of .83" in one hour (and .76" the next) is the heaviest I've ever seen on telemetry. https://nwac.us/weatherdata/alpental/now/ A friend that lives near Alpental is sending me a video. She says the creek looks like it is going 30mph. Paradise has also had a humungus amount of rain. Stevens has also had heavy rain. We will have lost some trails for sure.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 5:12 pm 
Meanwhile, NE of Redmond we have been in the rain shadow donut hole most of the day. Edit to add: Snoqualmie Falls stream gage https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=sew&gage=squw1

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 8:14 pm 
Power has been out here in Verlot since about 6:30 tonight. Fired up the generator so have lights, and 'net, can't get the DISH network going, good thing no games on tonight. Having a beer and cooking a pizza on the propane BBQ....good times! Then supposed to be rain and snow mixed here the next couple of days, the fun has begun! Glad I'm not at Priest lake though, supposed to be down to 8 degrees early next week.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
philfort

philfort
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 8:15 pm 
Nisqually entrance to Rainier is now closed due to flooding bawl.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 9:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Power has been out here in Verlot since about 6:30 tonight.
Isn't that one of the hallmarks of the Stillaguamish valley, CJ? In addition to being one of the wettest microclimates on this side of the Cascades, the valley is also a pretty good wind tunnel. Speaking of microclimates, I looked at the radar early this afternoon and saw the same rain shadow donut hole over Seattle that Joey mentioned passing over the Redmond area. I was able to get in several hours of weeding and bulb planting. The UW Atmospheric Sciences radar page is darn handy for short-term planning. I just checked it again (9 pm) and we're still in it.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 04, 2022 9:35 pm 
USGS gaging station Queets River at Clearwater - was running at 334 cfs the first couple weeks of October until it started to rise on the 19th.
USGS gaging station Queets River at Clearwater - was running at 334 cfs the first couple weeks of October until it started to rise on the 19th.
The pattern you are seeing on the graph isn't anomalous for this time of year, although generally I don't see it jump up into the 50000 range until November. It's important to pay close attention to the numbers running up the left-hand side of the graphs - they have to compress the upper end of the graph to fit the image to the size.
USGS gaging station Nisqually River at National (downstream from NPS boundary)
USGS gaging station Nisqually River at National (downstream from NPS boundary)
Pretty significant rise in a pretty short period of time. That's about what it looked like when it flooded when I was up there about 15 years ago. Hopefully that levee wall held up at the upstream end or the road between the Nisqually gate and Longmire will wash out.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

gb, Secret Agent Man, Anne Elk
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 7:50 am 
I think I will wax the Yooper Scooper today.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 1:00 pm 
Coming down at the rate of an inch per hour here. 6 inches so far and it is not Champagne Powder. My big maple tree did not shed its leaves and is getting quite droopy.

Chief Joseph