Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bill to make daylight savings time year round.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I can just hear the howls about kids having to go to school in the dark.
And the whimpers of adults who go to work in the dark and then come home in the dark, only ever seeing the light of day on nice weekends, slowly evolving into Mole People. frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Dec 05, 2021 10:38 pm 
catsp wrote:
Seems like there is a very simple and straightforward solution. For much of the population time is determined by automatically adjusting timepieces. Simply have the clocks by which everyone's timepieces are set adjust forward by like 3 minutes a day beginning mid-March, hold fast after the 1 hour advance is reached, then at the appropriate time start the taper to return to standard time by early-November. Indeed, through this method we can adjust the daylight savings even further to take maximum advantage of the increased daylight hours. E.g., if desired we could add minutes all the way up to the summer solstice before starting the taper. Not sure why Rubio isn't all over this.
Making work mostly asynchronous (where possible) is a big part of the answer, but then you're out of phase with your friends which is a problem for making hiking and skiing plans on weekends.

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:12 am 
catsp wrote:
Seems like there is a very simple and straightforward solution. For much of the population time is determined by automatically adjusting timepieces. Simply have the clocks by which everyone's timepieces are set adjust forward by like 3 minutes a day beginning mid-March, hold fast after the 1 hour advance is reached, then at the appropriate time start the taper to return to standard time by early-November. Indeed, through this method we can adjust the daylight savings even further to take maximum advantage of the increased daylight hours. E.g., if desired we could add minutes all the way up to the summer solstice before starting the taper. Not sure why Rubio isn't all over this.
That would be very complicated! "Oops, sorry I'm late.. Forgot to reset my Rolex by 3 minutes today" Absurd! I don't see what the big problem is just changing the clock by just 1 hour only 2 times a year. But I work day shifts, then night shifts with only 24 hours in between so I'm adjusting my sleep once a week. So if we abolish DST, what would you rather have....sunrise at 9:00 am in the winter or sunset at 8:00 pm in the summer?

hikerbiker
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 4:43 pm 

Navy salad  ejain
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 5:26 pm 
Easy solution...Spring forward needs to happen at 4pm on a Friday and fall back needs to occur at 8am on a Monday, no more complaints will be heard. wink.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

Navy salad, fourteen410, Sore Feet, Cyclopath, Pyrites, Chief Joseph
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 09, 2022 1:09 am 
For me, it's whatever time I CLAIM it is!! I enforce this upon the people I deal with.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Mar 09, 2022 1:48 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
For me, it's whatever time I CLAIM it is!! I enforce this upon the people I deal with.
When I was a kid - not long after a daylight savings got established - we were living briefly in a small rural Oklahoma town. The Doctor in this small town decided that HE wasn’t going to be ruled by this communist, god-less, man made new time, by gum! He called DST “crazy-time”, and so he made ALL his appointments in Standard Time. You can imagine the confusion….people showing up an hour early and an hour late…..

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 5:24 pm 
And yet, there are plenty of other studies and scientific opinion that say reversion to permanent Standard Time is better for our health.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 6:16 pm 
I would say it's like most things in life, if there is a positive there will then be an equal negative, so there is no clear choice as to which time method is best. I think the thing that bothers many people, myself included, is just the fact we don't like change, so pick one and stick with it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 5:38 am 
I've got no problem with change (says the guy "accidentally" sitting here at 4:37am when he wanted to leave the house at 6am). Edit: Ha! Per the timestamp of the post, looks like even the NWHikers clock forgot to fall back...