Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Lake Pass - Red Mountain Pond Traverse
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 10:03 pm 
I love this country and have wanted to tie this route together for a while. Ran the idea by Bryan and he bit! I thought it was a fun day, but maybe not for everyone.
Snow Lake Pass - Red Mountain Pond traverse
Snow Lake Pass - Red Mountain Pond traverse
We parked at the Commonwealth (PCT) trailhead, then walked the road to Alpental. Took the newly rebuilt Snow Lake trail to the Pass, then headed XC towards Avalanche Peak
Traveling towards Avalanche Peak.
Traveling towards Avalanche Peak.
I love this stuff.
I love this stuff.
The upper Avalanche Pond.
The upper Avalanche Pond.
Avalanche Pass area.
Avalanche Pass area.
After gaining what I'll refer to as Avalanche Ridge we dropped into the Thunder Creek drainage and traversed towards Snoqualmie Mountain. I had done this section with the Puzzlr a couple year ago, and a few times since.
Traversing upper Thunder Creek drainage. Price and Big Snow beyond.
Traversing upper Thunder Creek drainage. Price and Big Snow beyond.
Gaining Snoqualmie's West Ridge from Thunder Creek basin can be challenging, but there are serval lines that work (some easier than others). Once on top of Snoqualmie's (what will become) West ridge you are forced to stay on the south side. This works well. No need to stick too closely to the top of the ridge. Travel about .50 miles until you reach some cliffs bands. I always want to cut up early here, but don't let yourself be drawn up too quickly. Nice lines through steep meadows and rock bands come soon enough.
Traversing the south side of Snoqualmie's West ridge.
Traversing the south side of Snoqualmie's West ridge.
I've found it best not to drift too far to your right at this point. Your goal is to gain a prominent rock outcropping at about 5,600 ft. I refer to it as the 'lunch counter', but I'm really not sure that it has a name (or needs one). It is a favorite spot.
The Lunch Counter.
The Lunch Counter.
the Lunch Counter and beyond. Lake Katrine fire in the distance.
the Lunch Counter and beyond. Lake Katrine fire in the distance.
The "Lunch Counter", and the Middle Fork Valley. Avalanche Peak near left of center.
The "Lunch Counter", and the Middle Fork Valley. Avalanche Peak near left of center.
Moving upward, take the path of least residence, heading to Snoqualmie's summit. You'll pass an anchor the skiers use to drop into the Snot Couloir. I've always stayed left of the obvious gendarme as you approach Snoqualmie's summit.
The Snodome, in the sunshine, from Snoqualmie's summit.
The Snodome, in the sunshine, from Snoqualmie's summit.
From Snoqualmie's summit take the boot path to the saddle immediately east of the false summit. Traverse below the stunning rocky ridge on its south side (it must have a name?), on loose choss, staying as high as is comfortable. Climb back to the ridge, or just continue traversing, over and up to the Snow Dome.
Looking back on route from Snoqualmie Mountain
Looking back on route from Snoqualmie Mountain
Traveling between Snoqualmie Mountain and the Snow Dome.
Traveling between Snoqualmie Mountain and the Snow Dome.
Middle Fork views from the Snow Dome-Lundin Ridge.
Middle Fork views from the Snow Dome-Lundin Ridge.
From the Snow Dome follow the ridge towards Lundin, at times traveling on the Middle Fork side.
The Northwest is burning
The Northwest is burning
The Northwest burns
The Northwest burns
The Northwest burns
The Northwest burns
Working towards Lundin from the Snow Dome. The trick is seeking out the green sections.
Working towards Lundin from the Snow Dome. The trick is seeking out the green sections.
I think it's best to start working down before reaching the boulder fields that lines the base of Lundin. somewhere between 5,200 and 5,000 you'll want to cross the boulder field and continue along the base of the cliff. Head towards the prominent Fir tree passing directly above it. No need to climb at this point, simply continue a traversing descent along the base of the cliff. Avoid being drawn upwards to soon. Just below 4,800 you'll come to an easy passage through the end of the cliff. climb for a mere 200 feet then traverse over to the Red Pond.
Smoke filled in the Commonwealth as we hiked down the Red Pass Trail.
Smoke filled in the Commonwealth as we hiked down the Red Pass Trail.
Pick up the Red Pass/Commonwealth trail, then head back do the Commonwealth TH and the car! Fun Day, and we almost avoided the smoke. smile.gif 11 miles. 4,200 ft. elevation gain.

Kascadia, ChinookPass, neek, reststep, JimK, RichardJ, day_hike_mike, RichP, rubywrangler, jaysway, ALW Hiker, Randito, SeanSullivan86, hot.choss, zimmertr, hikergirl1234, fourteen410, mosey, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 5:47 am 
Now I Fly wrote:
My lord, what a shot! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Now I Fly
penquin

penquin
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 4:52 pm 
Such a great route! Thanks for showing me the way. Next time I'll bring my better boots so I don't slow you down.

Now I Fly
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:18 pm 
Great trip and photos. Between thinking about the terrain and your photos my knees started to hurt just reading your TR.

Now I Fly
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 1:55 pm 
Great trip report and photos!

Now I Fly
BarbE

BarbE
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 10:41 am 
Brian, great trip and pictures! Didn’t know the traverse from Avalanche ridge to Snoqualmie Mountain was doable. Always enjoyed exploring the East Snoqualmie Mountain area but never ventured as far as Lundin. Didn’t know the bare rocky summit was called Snowdome. A watercolor from my last trip to Avalanche Mountain of the impressive Snoqualmie northside.
Snoqualmie Mountain
Snoqualmie Mountain

Prosit, RichP, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 12:02 pm 
BarbE wrote:
Snoqualmie Mountain
Snoqualmie Mountain
I Love this, friend! Beautiful! And yes, one can traverse over to Snoqualmie from Avalanche. Quiet and remote traveling through the headwaters of Thunder Creek. I'm hoping to find a route around Copter Peak, then up the Snowdome for a loop. I made an attempt at a solo scramble of the Crooked Couloir but felt a belay might be in order. I believe I first heard the name Snowdome (Snoqualmie-Dome) from Mr. Vanderbilt, maybe. B

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 9:44 pm 
Great painting Barb! I could have sworn that the Mountaineers used to call that rounded bump "Snow Dome". Many years ago they used that area for classes to teach glissading, arresting and other snow skills. I thought it was called "Snow Dome" on these maps, but now that I look it's just "The Dome". I still like Snow Dome, though. There is another Snow Dome on the upper Blue Glacier on Mount Olympus, but that's not an official name either.
1931 Mountaineers map
1931 Mountaineers map
1952 Mountaineers map
1952 Mountaineers map

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

BarbE, fjoro, Now I Fly