Forum Index > Food & Grub > Costco Food Finds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 12:56 pm 
I thought there was a Costco thread here in the Food/Grub forum but I couldn't find it. I know there is one in the gear section. ANYWAY ... Le Chic Patissier Original Stroopwafels 40 pack of wafels for only $6.79 in-store until November 20. That’s only 17 cents each! Rumi PS: Feel free to post your Costco Food Finds in this thread.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 3:30 pm 
Well, there's this ... lots of nuts, plus cheesey bites:

RumiDude, Tom
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 11:37 pm 
You can usually run into a decent Mountain House stock at Costco. Can usually run into some 'House there. They usually have the packs that have the BEEF MAC and a couple other throw-ins like the chickens/rice type ones. Frequently these packs contain a couple breakfasts. The breakfast ones are good as a powerful breakfast to push through the previous night's Mountain House.

RumiDude
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Nov 13, 2022 2:58 pm 
I'll have to look for that Keto mix next time. Usually I buy the small bags of mix at Grocery Outlet (realllllly good, come in flavors). My only problem is I don't eat Brazil Nuts often, too many at once isn't good for most people (read up on it).

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:41 pm 
I've been looking for that keto snack mix at Costco the last month or so but never showed up in warehouse and I couldn't find it online either. I asked Dayhike Mike who works at Costco if they still carried it and he said it looked like it was being discontinued. To my surprise yesterday it showed up in the Issaquah warehouse. Not sure if they changed something in the mix but I was disappointed. While it has a nice mix of premium nuts, I found it somewhat under salted (you really can't get enough salt on keto so I'm not sure why it's so lightly salted being marked as keto). The only thing that makes it a snack mix is they throw in a few cheese crisps which IMO aren't anything to write home about either. They are salty so maybe that's where the flavor is supposed to come from but my wife tried one of the crisps and gagged, lol. Needless to say these will be going back to Costco, just one person's opinion, actually two if you count my wife, but if you are on keto or a low carb diet and want a really tasty snack mix, Catalina Crunch is crack. Maybe not the cleanest ingredients but it's hard not to eat the whole bag when you need your crunch fix.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 10, 2023 3:20 pm 
Hey Jack Daniel's lovers, you can buy a barrel of whiskey at Costco for <only> $8600....I wonder if there is the nearly 50% Wa "Sin Tax" also added on to that price? Not a huge fan of JD, there are way better bourbons and whiskeys out there...just to name a few, Knob Creek, Makers, Bulliet, Woodruff Reserve, and my personal favorite, Basil Hayden. I have a habit of leaving a shot or two in each bottle and I tried some Jack that had been sitting for 2-3 years and it was sooo much smoother than a fresh bottle. ymmv https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/6i244j/costco_sells_jack_daniels_by_the_barrel/?rdt=65419

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
domaz

domaz
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 3:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have a habit of leaving a shot or two in each bottle and I tried some Jack that had been sitting for 2-3 years and it was sooo much smoother than a fresh bottle. ymmv
Leaving anything in a mostly empty bottle probably means it oxygenated heavily, or in this case all the alcohol evaporated away, making it smooth indeed!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 5:08 pm 
The bottle was sealed so I doubt that much if any oxygenation occurred and "no alcohol evaporates at room temperature, so 40% vodka will be 40% in the morning. Alcohol evaporates at 174 degrees, only cooking can reduce the abv.". https://www.google.com/search?q=does+alcohol+evaporate&rlz=1CAUSZT_enUS1025US1025&oq=does+alcohol+evaporate&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l9.10229j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 6:28 pm 
Spirits indeed do oxidize once a bottle is opened and the emptier the bottle becomes the more oxidization occurs. Thus it changes the taste. That is why whisky/whiskey collectors have devices that insert inert gasses into bottles, thus displacing the air and its component oxygen in opened bottles. Also, alcohol does evaporate at room temperature. Just open any bottle of Everclear @190 proof or food grade ethanol @200 proof and you will immediately smell it. That smell is the evaporated alcohol. And if you put some in a glass and leave it out overnight, there will be less in the morning. Even water evaporates at room temperature. As a matter of fact, ice can evaporate below freezing temperature. In whisky production, a portion of alcohol will evaporate through the barrel as it ages. The longer a spirit is aged in the barrel, the more alcohol will evaporate. This is called the "angels share". Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Navy salad
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 9:29 am 
From the above link: "Its molecules will evaporate not just when alcohol reaches its boiling point ... but any time it is exposed to the air."

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 10:04 am 
The Mountain House freeze dried ice cream sandwiches are amazing and light. I don't buy freeze dried food usually.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 11:38 am 
Navy salad wrote:
From the above link: "Its molecules will evaporate not just when alcohol reaches its boiling point ... but any time it is exposed to the air."
Lol, apparently I neglected to read the last line, reading is fundamental. My bubble is now burst, still think that Jack Daniels is vastly over-rated.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 6:37 pm 
domaz wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have a habit of leaving a shot or two in each bottle and I tried some Jack that had been sitting for 2-3 years and it was sooo much smoother than a fresh bottle. ymmv
Leaving anything in a mostly empty bottle probably means it oxygenated heavily, or in this case all the alcohol evaporated away, making it smooth indeed!
So the alcohol does slowly evaporate, however it should still have the same alcohol content since the other liquid in the bottle will also evaporate and likely faster. As far as oxidation, not sure what that would do, maybe effect the taste? But to me as I said it tastes much better. Got out of Costco cheap today, less than $150. Bought a whole deli chicken, frickin' awesome, large and juicy! They also have Elysian Bi-frost ale for $28 per case, $7 per 6 pack is cheap for micro-brew. Found some Orvis hiking pants, very nice for $18. Bought some Sanders salted dark chocolate caramel, good but a bit salty for my taste. Also scored a pair of decent Solomon hiking shoes for $10 at a thrift store. Good day but my wallet needs to be re-filled.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 7:27 pm 
Good thing I no longer consume sugar
Good thing I no longer consume sugar

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 7:39 pm 
Wish I had seen those, I bought a large package of Twizzlers instead. I checked out their pumpkin pies....they are frickin' huuuuuge! Going to pick one up for T-day for sure.