Forum Index > Trail Talk > Search underway for missing hiker ONP 11/03/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fedor

Fedor
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 10:38 pm 
That's very worrisome with the cold temperatures. Hoping for her safe return.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 4:26 pm 
Still nothing. Nothing. No clues, none of her gear found; not a trace. The family is reaching out to "several non profits" that may be able to "look into" it once SAR has done all they can. I don't know what that means (as in, what non profit would continue the search), or when that will be, but they have been searching for 9 days; yet the weather is still favorable (for them to search, not for a lost, likely wet, hiker).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 5:29 pm 
Fedor wrote:
A huge part of the worrisome bit is that this is a straight forward trail. If she mistakenly took the Graves Creek trail instead of the Quinault, I could understand getting lost and/or off trail. Otherwise the trail to Enchanted Valley is just a river walk. Noname and Pyrite Creeks can be challenging if the water is high. Trying to figure out what happened and thus where to look is a head scratcher. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Pyrites, CS
chilge

chilge
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 6:14 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Fedor wrote:
A huge part of the worrisome bit is that this is a straight forward trail. If she mistakenly took the Graves Creek trail instead of the Quinault, I could understand getting lost and/or off trail. Otherwise the trail to Enchanted Valley is just a river walk. Noname and Pyrite Creeks can be challenging if the water is high. Trying to figure out what happened and thus where to look is a head scratcher.
A head scratcher for sure. A family member stated in the Facebook group that the current focus of the search is the area between Pony Bridge and Fire Creek.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 6:37 pm 
Hoping for a good outcome. Most lost hikers are thankfully found by Search and Rescue wonderfully volunteers fairly effectively, but there are outlier cases, let us hope this doesn't end up that way. https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/geraldine-largay

RumiDude
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:15 pm 
A statement from the family of Laura Macke. Today Search and Rescue has determined Laura’s survivability is not expected. Limited Continuous Searching will occur as technology and weather conditions align. The family would like to thank Olympic National Park, the many Search and Rescue personal and you for your support in this difficult time.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

KascadeFlat, chilge, CS, Ski, SpookyKite89, HikingBex, tinman
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:48 pm 
My condolences to Laura's family and friends.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 2:34 pm 
Incredibly sad news and heartbreaking for the family. Peace and condolences! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
gb

gb
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:51 pm 
I am very sad for Laura and her family. I am proud that many at NWHikers showed that they cared so much. I only hope that in the near future Laura's family will get some final closure, which is but a small consolation for a loss so great.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 8:02 pm 
It's always so sad to hear of a missing hiker. My condolences to Laura's friends and family.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 8:24 pm 
Sad and bad. I've been thinking of her several times a day. I remember a German woman getting stuck on the PCT several years ago and this electronic community connecting the dots for a positive ending. Was hoping for a repeat of that. RIP hiker Laura, condolences to her friends and family.

Off trail rambler

RumiDude
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 9:38 am 
So many people and organizations devoted their time to trying to find her. This is very impressive. Olympic National Park partnered with 19 agencies on this search effort: Mount Rainier National Park, Olympic Mountain Rescue, Jefferson County Search and Rescue, Clallam County Search and Rescue, Tacoma Mountain Rescue, Pierce County Search and Rescue, Mason County Search and Rescue, Pierce County German Shepherd Search Dogs, Snohomish County German Shepherd Search Dogs, Kitsap County Search and Rescue K9, Mason County Search and Rescue K9, Pierce County Explorers Search and Rescue, Kitsap County Explorers Search and Rescue, King County Search and Rescue, Quinault Indian Nation, Wildlife Enforcement Program, Washington State Search and Rescue Planning Unit, US Coast Guard, US Customs & Border Patrol, Air & Marine Operations, and US Navy, Search & Rescue. Olympic National Park also works closely with the NPS Investigative Services Branch.

jditty, grannyhiker, Slim  fourteen410
huron

huron
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 6:19 pm 
Family posted today "A piece of equipment belonging to Laura was recovered from the area of her expected hike. Focused drone searching in this area continues." That's significant news since it eliminates a myriad of other possibilities.

CS
LikesHikes

LikesHikes
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 2:25 pm 
Reminds me of Shirley Baumann on the Quartz Creek trail in North Bend a couple years ago. Still no body. Folks please do not hike alone in remote areas unless you have the essentials.

hearingjd
yorknl

yorknl
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:42 pm 
The posts today (11/28/2023) about a missing person (Mark Martinez) made me recall this thread about Laura Macke, from November of 2022. I remember thinking at the time that while the odds of her being found alive were very low, there was a decent chance that with the return of better weather and more hiking traffic on the Enchanted Valley trail in 2023 some evidence of her fate would be found and her loved ones would at least obtain some closure. A Google search tonight doesn't yield much. On the FB page for her SAR effort there's mention on 8/15/23 of finding a piece of what may have been her tent, and a reference to finding a rainfly last year. But other than that, nothing. Maybe that shouldn't surprise me given the severity of the terrain away from the trail, but it does. Or, it at least makes me sad to contemplate what happened to her.