Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Buying firewood off Craigslist.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 12:33 pm 
Jordan wrote:
I sell my half cords for $360-$460 with delivery, not cheap.
With all due respect that seems insanely high...likely cheaper to heat with electric and for sure with natural gas. I had a guy up at Priest Lake quote me $500 per cord, cut, split, delivered and stacked. I was like hell no, I am not disabled, I will do it myself....hence the cord of THE best Tamarack ever for $250 cord, delivered not split, it's splits easy though and burns like coal, hot, slow and clean.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 1:45 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
With all due respect that seems insanely high...likely cheaper to heat with electric and for sure with natural gas.
If people will pay that, more power to him. It took 2 summers for my GREEN DF to be dry enough to burn. After 3 it was even better. After a few years, I had my chimney cleaned. There wasn't much buildup in it, but it also was one of the newfangled WA EPA approved stoves. The chimney sweep guy was impressed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 2:10 pm 
Very true, I guess some just want a wood fire for the ambiance. campfire.gif I burned about 3.5 cords last winter and when I did the chimney sweep this summer, there was not much in there, mainly just fine powder. Over here in Verlot I am burning some very well seasoned white fir mixed with some somewhat green alder and it's working ok. I have a short chimney stack that's easy to dismantle and clean, so a bit of creosote buildup is not a big issue.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Jordan
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 2:55 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Jordan wrote:
I sell my half cords for $360-$460 with delivery, not cheap.
With all due respect that seems insanely high...likely cheaper to heat with electric and for sure with natural gas. I had a guy up at Priest Lake quote me $500 per cord, cut, split, delivered and stacked. I was like hell no, I am not disabled, I will do it myself....hence the cord of THE best Tamarack ever for $250 cord, delivered not split, it's splits easy though and burns like coal, hot, slow and clean.
I've never had tamarack but hear it is a great burning wood. I'm not even the most expensive around here. Some of the professional firewood guys sell a full cord for over $1000 for oak or madrona. I've got a tree guy that will deliver to me on occasion. Years ago he laughed when I told him I was selling cords for $250. I only sell the best cuts from the wood I chop, I take the cookies and uglies.

none
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 3:57 pm 
I will have to thank my son-in-law for helping me split and stack a couple cords of maple that I have been drying for the last two years. We had some culls taken out and the arborist actually gave a discount if we kept the wood.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Jordan
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 4:21 pm 
Jordan wrote:
If you are still need of firewood send me a message. I can spare about a half cord form my personal stash but its alder. Same BTUs as fir though and coals up nicer. You can come take a look first if you are worried about it being seasoned. I don't sell wood with rot or insect damage. This is last seasons inventory. I'm north of Seattle. Thanks
Thank you Jordan for the offer and the careful explanations with photos. I actually may have found someone here in this part of town with some available wood. Waiting for a call back. Your splitting video was impressive. ~z

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 4:31 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Jordan wrote:
If you are still need of firewood send me a message. I can spare about a half cord form my personal stash but its alder. Same BTUs as fir though and coals up nicer. You can come take a look first if you are worried about it being seasoned. I don't sell wood with rot or insect damage. This is last seasons inventory. I'm north of Seattle. Thanks
Thank you Jordan for the offer and the careful explanations with photos. I actually may have found someone here in this part of town with some available wood. Waiting for a call back. Your splitting video was impressive. ~z
Thank you, I take a lot of pride in my firewood.

none
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:38 pm 
Went up the loop by red bridge yesterday and cut up about a half cord some seasoned alder, ready to burn, cost me about $5 in fuel, permits are free....I even stacked it for free. wink.gif Last week we unloaded some alder that only needed to be split in half. Since alder is so easy to split I was curious how it would work to just give it a whack while it was on the ground instead of putting it on the block. Doing it that way I was able to split the entire load in about 10 minutes, swinging the ax like a baseball bat. I love alder. Btw, the place that sells the WELL SEASONED Maple down in Chehalis charges ONLY $175 half cord and you won't find better wood for that price, you haul. PT Barnum would be proud of the folks paying 1k per cord. clown.gif

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 2:49 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
the place that sells the WELL SEASONED Maple down in Chehalis
Is that ONP maple? I only burn maple if it's sourced directly from ONP!

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:17 pm 
Bigleaf maple burns great, but I don't like it. Once it is fully dry if you pick it up with bare hands you are likely to be picking microscopic splinters out of your fingers for awhile. I get sick of taking my gloves off and on every time I want to add wood to the fire. First world problem I guess. rolleyes.gif I have had a lot of problems with cherry. Burns great, but impossible to split by the method Jorday used, at least the stuff I had. The grain was so twisted and gnarled that it just laughed at my silly axe.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:29 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Burns great, but impossible to split by the method Jorday used, at least the stuff I had.
That stuff I was chopping was really straight grained big leaf maple. Exceptionally easy to split.

none
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:33 pm 
Not sure where they get the maple. We had a live standing big leaf maple go down on my property a few years ago. My son split it up and burned it since we were out of wood....very easy to split and burned pretty well considering it was green...get the coals hot enough and nearly anything will burn. Went up Pilchuck road today, found a bit more alder and a small amount of season doug fir....didn't get a full load since the gate is now closed at Heather lake TH.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 4:17 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Went up Pilchuck road today, found a bit more alder and a small amount of season doug fir
You're living the dream, being that far out and just going up the road for wood. Is the MLH open to the ice caves still?

none
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 5:10 pm 
Yea, and at my place in Idaho I have 6 acres of timber, need to fell some and let season. They closed the Deer creek gate yesterday. Might take my bike up there and check out the repaired bridge-caves.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 9:27 pm 
Maple has been plentiful because so many trees were dying and may still be.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities