Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gifts for hiking or outdoors
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostWed Nov 09, 2022 11:51 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Wow! Have you or anyone you know used this thing? I have lots of partially used canisters that I'm not comfy taking for an overnighter, so save up for a car camp which I don't often do.
There's a discussion about it here. Hitthetrail posted a link for one that's $20. I bought it but have yet to use it. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8035387&highlight=fuel

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 10:15 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Wow! Have you or anyone you know used this thing? I have lots of partially used canisters that I'm not comfy taking for an overnighter, so save up for a car camp which I don't often do.
Not worth the risk IMO. Take 2 containers when in doubt; the extra weight is negligible. That gives you redundancy too, say in case one leaks. These canisters aren't meant to be reused. Try puncturing an empty one to get a feel for how flimsy they are. If someone gave me one of these devices, I wouldn't use it. Of course I've been accused of being paranoid so YMMV.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 10:29 am 
just my two cents on that one: I have twice in my life experienced extensive second-degree burns. (First time was both legs up to my thighs, second time was face, neck, torso.) There is no way in hell I would screw around trying to move flammable and explosive gasses from one pressurized container to another. Feel free to call me chicken. Burns are one of the most painful experiences in the galaxy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 10:31 am 
and if anybody wants to buy me "outdoor gifts": socks. socks always work. new-fangled gizmos that look cool to you at the mall don't equate to a piece of equipment that I am going to carry for miles in my pack. just sayin'

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 11:02 am 
Ski wrote:
new-fangled gizmos that look cool to you at the mall don't equate to a piece of equipment that I am going to carry for miles in my pack.
100%. I will, however, put in another plug (lol) for the CuloClean and similar devices. I even use mine at home when we run out of TP cool.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 12:14 pm 
^ When I was cleaning out the house this past summer, I posted something here to try to give some stuff away - photos are probably still in the "trading post" or "gear" thread - and got no takers from this bunch. I put the stuff on the curb and was actually surprised that it took almost three days for it to disappear. As I recall, one of the items was a "Titanium Spork" that actually hurt my mouth when I tried to eat with it. Another was a wind-up flashlight that weighed more than three D cell batteries. I know, I know.... "it's the thought that counts." Just wish they'd think of socks instead.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 12:17 pm 
Garmin 735XT is going for $120. Very old technology but it has the basics. This isn't something that will appeal broadly to most hikers, but could be a good gift for some people.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:00 pm 
neek wrote:
...I will, however, put in another plug (lol) for the CuloClean and similar devices
Just a quick question: Don't you end up all wet "down there", in which you you may need TP anyway? Not being a cynic, just not quite understanding how this works...

BW

BW
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:40 pm 
Anyone have a recommendation for a women's sun hoodie? For summer/fall WA state mountain conditions. Breathability and sun protection top factors.

neek

neek
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 7:08 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Just a quick question: Don't you end up all wet "down there", in which you you may need TP anyway? Not being a cynic, just not quite understanding how this works...
To be honest I've only tried it twice and am still working on technique. Collapsible bottles make aiming difficult, let's leave it at that. If you get a direct hit, the moisture isn't a big deal unless you're Chewbacca or something. Frigid weather might make things interesting. It beats snow at least, and (presumably) pinecones and such. Ultimately cleaner than TP, if you're thorough.

Navy salad
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 7:48 pm 
IMHO, gift certificates and socks are safer! BW, that hoodie won't protect your face, but this hat does the job! The draped back may look dorky, but it protects the back of your neck without bumping into your pack. Mine has been to 12,000 feet in the Wind Rivers and Colorado Rockies, and no burn despite the harsh sun. That's especially important because I'm allergic to most sunscreens. Mine is well into its second decade and at age 87 I still wear it whenever I'm outdoors. I pull my rain jacket hood over it (doesn't damage the brim to pull the sides against my head or get the front of the brim wet) for warmth or rain protection.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

BW