Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin inReach Mini 2 - New & Inproved
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fn1889m

fn1889m
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 7:08 pm 
I am not obsessed with tracking. But the InReach is just for emergencies. I also deleted my google apps. I am not going to make it easy for them. But it’s not about the inReach. It’s about the slow loss of wilderness. The InReach is representative of the injection of infrastructure into wilderness recreation. Electronic devises, use fees, and a digital interface, are really a form of infrastructure where we otherwise prohibit roads. People have differing ideas how wilderness can be accessed. A personal satellite transmitter is a little like bolting a route. I am not against them. To each his own. But don’t play your radio in camp.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 8:25 pm 
fn1889m wrote:
I also deleted my google apps
Because this seems important to you. FYI. You can buy faraday bags.

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 10:07 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
fn1889m wrote:
I also deleted my google apps
Because this seems important to you. FYI. You can buy faraday bags.
Will it double as a bear bag?

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 11:55 pm 
Trip gear report. I used the Inreach Mini2 for two trips. The first was a one day climb of Shuksan via Sulphide, and the second was a hike up Easy Pass for Fall color. Both trips: it was turned on, set to leave a location mark every 4 hours, and I sent a few preset messages to a friend. All messages were received, and showed location on the MapShare web site. I received the reply messages on the Inreach. I could have also read them on my BT linked phone. But no reason to do so. The two best features of this device are its very good battery life and its apparent toughness. The battery showed 90+ percent capacity at the end of a 23 hr day, though with minimal usage. At that rate it would have lasted for about 9 or 10 days. And it was in conditions that would have killed my cell phone. I believe the battery life and some gps receiver electronics are the main improvements over the previous model. So the short conclusion is that it works for its intended purpose, is small, tough, and costs $400. But the software interface is primitive not intuitive/circa 1990 linux.

JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 5:00 pm 
You can use the app too, with the more recent inreach devices (Mini 2 etc). https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/893837 This copies the Zoleo implementation, where you don't use (or pay) for messages sent/received over cell/wifi data.

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 3:13 pm 
The Garmin Messenger App is not currently compatible with the Inreach Mini. It only works with the Garmin Messenger. (This is from the Garmin web site as well as my failed attempt.) The Garmin Explore app does work with the Mini2. The Messenger device is a satellite text messenger. The Mini2 is first an emergency signal device.

Gil

Gil
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 7:09 pm 
Oh boy, the tin foil hats are out on this thread. I have the original Inreach Mini. The UX interface is pathetic, but I use it to send nightly positions to my family when I'm out, and for that it works pretty well (as long as you are not deep in a side canyon of the Grand Canyon). I turn it off when I'm not using it, so as to save battery. On my recent travels, I charged it on Oct. 9 before I left, and again about two weeks later between trips in southern Utah. I carry a physical map, so I don't need to use it on the trail, unless I want to confirm a position (as happened in Cedar Mesa). So I don't feel I need to upgrade at this point. And the InReach Mini can be used to send text messages.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
huron

huron
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:06 pm 
if you are considering a Garmin, InReach could be obsolete for some soon. Apple SOS service was announced this month and is supposed to be available with software update 16 only on eyefone 14 models. There are several unfortunate design disadvantages in this system that make it less than ideal. It uses Globalstar rather than the more reliable (in my experience with both) Iridium sat network that InReach uses. There appears to be no facility to test the system without dispatching emergency services. There is also no functionality to send periodic ok-pings with location to others which to me is the primary function of such a device. What is essential is to get a message to loved ones when delayed to PREVENT emergency services from being called. The feature is being described as “free for 2 years” which probably means they will turn it into a paid service at that point hopefully with expanded functionality.

neek

neek
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 8:39 am 
This came up in another thread.
Huron wrote:
There are several unfortunate design disadvantages in this system that make it less than ideal. It uses Globalstar rather than the more reliable (in my experience with both) Iridium sat network that InReach uses. There appears to be no facility to test the system without dispatching emergency services. There is also no functionality to send periodic ok-pings with location to others which to me is the primary function of such a device. What is essential is to get a message to loved ones when delayed to PREVENT emergency services from being called.
Yeah. These are serious deficiencies. I wonder how many unnecessary rescues will be triggered. Still, have to start somewhere.

huron

huron
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 9:37 am 
So many peaks and destinations missed because I needed another night and didn't want anyone to freak about not being back home when planned. waah.gif

Now I Fly
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 2:01 pm 
$50 off at REI sale - https://www.rei.com/product/208257/garmin-inreach-mini-2

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"