Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Off Grid Toughness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 7:10 am 
Gotta love it. Some areas in the county where folks have bought land and moved onto in order to be left alone now are asking for volunteers to plow their roads out as they are running out of food and stuff. It hasn't even been a week since it snowed. Don't move to the sticks if you can't afford plowing. We have winter here. Meanwhile, I get in a ranting mood from trying to walk around town safely. If snow can't be moved via an atv or small piece of rideable equipment, it doesn't get done and those machines do a poor job of it. It's an ADA lawsuit just waiting to happen, or a fall injury. People are lazy. I walked out in the street instead.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

sarbar
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 8:09 am 
Got pics?? Actually sounds kind of fun to volunteer to help save people from their own ego.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 9:49 am 
Maybe these newcomers will move back the hell hole of King County and leave the countryside to actual country folks. But they will probably just buy a bigger truck and get a plow attachment.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 11:38 am 
Growing up in Northern Michigan everyone either owned a tractor, a truck with a plow, or a friend with one that you paid to come plow you out every couple days. The idea of trying to push snow around with a quad is hilarious to me.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 12:42 pm 
Um. I don't know the area you live in Treeswaper. Are you talking Packwood or Republic or Silverton, CO?

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:50 pm 
We have a guy plow us out near priest lake, we were paying 3-400, now 500 which is a great deal, he probably comes by 9-12 times per year and brings his backhoe once or twice too. I do spend a bit of money at his bar-restaurant. Luckily we live on a county road so that is plowed frequently.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:58 pm 
I use the snowplow app.

Layback, Snowdog
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 12:57 am 
It's CHAINS REQUARRED out there!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 11:18 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
It's CHAINS REQUARRED out there!!
True, I got stuck once on level ground in 3" of snow once (ice underneath) while on the way home from the bar, but also my tires were bald. My Mom wasn't impressed but I rode the snowmobile down the road in the morning and brought her rig home, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 9:38 pm 
A couple of years ago, I was at an auto mechanic place trying to talk to them. Their phone kept ringing and ringing. Finally, there was a break, and the guy said "Snowplowing has started so there are lots of troubles." Apparently snowplowing is very stressful on the truck, especially if the truck is not made for such a thing. The first plowable snowstorm swamps the mechanics with those.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:06 am 
Well treeswarper, are you going to volunteer to help these folks out? Seems like a neighborly thing to do, no matter where they're from.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 28, 2022 4:39 pm 
Nope. They wanted to live in the sticks and have low taxes, that's what they got. I'm mean.

sarbar
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 28, 2022 7:00 pm 
Trailhead wrote:
Well treeswarper, are you going to volunteer to help these folks out? Seems like a neighborly thing to do, no matter where they're from.
I think the perception that country folk are generally more helpful is somewhat related to that in decades past , populations in rural areas were far more static than they are in urban areas or rural areas today. So in the 50's when your neighbor down the road needed some help you tend to be more inclined to help them , because they are also your cousin. With the more dynamic society in urban areas and in rural areas that a being gentrified by urban escapees , the newcomers are strangers whom you don't know from Adam. I tend to think people are more likely to help each other out when they have a history of social connection, such as going to school together, attending the same weddings attending church together, etc. It your only interaction is seeing them in produce section in Hanks, your investment in helping them is naturally less.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Dec 15, 2022 8:49 am 
There are 2 types of country/rural livers. One you help, because they help you as well. They know what they are doing. City folk like to mock these types, and call them "good ol' boys". The other type is the "new-to-the-life" who don't have many skills. Some can move up to type 1, because they want to learn. Most don't. Where I live now the majority of my "neighbors" are retired and have very few skill sets. But expect anyone under 55 to help them. Without even offering payment - especially to my 25 yo. My direct neighbor, I'd do pretty much any chore for them. They are good people. Tree comes down, we go buck it and clean it up. If they needed food, I'd walk over and help them. The rest of them? Not so much. They are not neighborly. One neighbor, on the other side of our land, she has been trespassed off our land years ago. She's a nut job. (To everyone) My husband took the CERT class a few years back and the fire chief said to his class that the real issue is the age where we are. There are only 2 people CERT trained for miles in our area. We are the only ones "young" (and I say that with a laugh, we ain't young). In the event of a major emergency, we would secure our land, then if possible go help others. I know multiple neighbors living rural are over 70 and use oxygen. One cannot walk. The fire chief said to my husband that in the event of a major earthquake to expect he will be signing houses with spray paint that the people are dead if it's a bad event. No water, no meds, no power. Especially in winter. You can only really help them stop gas leaks, tarp a roof. You cannot save them if they have no meds or oxygen. The chief said that when the big one hits they expect a high mortality rate due to age. The other summer we buried a neighbors horse who had to be shot due to a broken leg. We have an excavator. Husband remarked dryly that this was as deep and wide as a human would need. He had no experience, but figured it out by reading up how deep a grave needs to be for a beast. We "joke" he has grave digging on his resume now. Never quit learning new skills. Know how to drop trees, how to buck, how to use heavy machinery, how to clear snow, how to build a fire. How to kill animals. And you will do far better. And yeah, I will never understand those who run out of food in a week. shakehead.gif A month? 2 months? 3 months? Meat running around outside is important, in its fresh stage. That's what the roosters are for.....cock-a-doodle-doo.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Dec 15, 2022 10:38 am 
sarbar wrote:
There are 2 types of country/rural livers. One you help, because they help you as well
Molly Ivins said: "There are two kinds of people, those who think there are two kinds of people, and those who don't." There are hospitality cultures, and not-so-hospitable cultures, which is what Molly was trying to tell us. If your viewpoint comes from the former, you do not begin a social interaction by judging the other person. You figure out whether they need help and you help, full stop. Favors are expected to be paid forward, not back. It is a way of life.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

graywolf, Kascadia  sarbar