Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > PSA re online privacy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 7:55 pm 
A related op-ed piece from this week's NY Times: We're about to find out what happens when privacy is all but gone A few tidbits from the article:
Quote:
Amazon announced that it was creating a show called “Ring Nation” — a sort of “America’s Funniest Home Videos” made up of footage recorded by the company’s Ring doorbells. These video doorbells, sold by Amazon and other companies, are now watching millions of American homes, and they are often used by police departments as, effectively, surveillance networks. ...after the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs, which eliminated the federal right to abortion ...[Americans] now understand that their phone location data, internet searches and purchase history are all fair game for the police — especially in states that do not protect abortion rights, and where women can be hunted down for their health care choices. In 2019, Times Opinion investigated the location tracking industry. Whistleblowers gave us a data set that included millions of pings from individual cellphones around daily commutes, churches and mosques, abortion clinics, the Pentagon, even the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency. “If the government ordered Americans to continuously provide such precise, real-time information about themselves, there would be a revolt,” the editorial board wrote. Yet despite years of talk, Congress is no closer to passing robust privacy legislation than it was two decades ago when the idea first came up.
Tom! We also need a faceplant emoji.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 9:25 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
I blame our fearless leaders in Congress for allowing this stuff to get so out of hand.
This is comedy gold!

Navy salad  Josh Journey, Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 10:24 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
A related op-ed piece from this week's NY Times
I feel like talk about abortion can get a lot of people up in arms and have this thread go sideways quickly, so I'm going to try to tread lightly. Garmin is a company we're all familiar with, as hikers. They make great watches, for runners and hikers and skiers; with GPS, navigation, fitness and wellness tracking, etc. They have menstrual tracking features. Women are being recommended not to use them because some jurisdictions will aggressively prosecute, a natural miscarriage can be caught in the crosshairs, and Garmin has a great privacy policy but cooperates with subpoenas. Just simply having data makes anyone a target, both for hackers and for law enforcement.

Jumble Jowls
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 10:47 am 
Randito wrote:
If you believe there is such a think as privacy on the internet, you are bound to be disappointed.
The centrifuges at Natanz weren't even on the internet! They were "air gapped" and were still vulnerable. NSA created a virus, Stuxnet, to sabotage the centrifuges but weren't able to get it into the centrifuge controller. Unit 8200 put Stuxnet into an aggressively spreading worm. It infected the laptop of somebody who worked at Natanz and that laptop was used to push updates to the industrial control system. It also showed the world one of our capabilities, causing a rift between USA and Israel. This was a long time ago. We used to think not being connected to the internet made a computer not vulnerable. We've learned a lot since then. You can move data out of an air gapped system if it has SATA cables. These emit radio frequencies during certain types of use, and can be made to literally broadcast your data over the air for short distances. This is called SATAn. There's a way to steal data without the internet with the status LEDs built into several parts of a computer, too, EtherLed. Or the power supply. Remember the term "military intelligence?" That's kind of what IT Security feels like.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 3:23 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Some friends laugh because I assiduously avoid "linking" of my devices, "cloud" anything, photo and file "tagging", fingerprint and face device unlocking, and etc. to preserve, as much as practically possible, some privacy and anonymity. Privacy in this country? You have none. This NY Times article proves it. Google flags dad as criminal for sending kid's pics to the pediatrician We're expected to just go along for the greater good. It's outrageous that Americans go crazy over other "rights", but not this. One commenter to this NYT article asked, "What's the difference between perpetual monitoring of all citizens for potential crime and unauthorized wiretapping?" The most disturbing thing about this incident is that all of the victim's accounts, files, emails, you-name-it associated with Google were permanently blown up, even though LE had cleared him. The least they could do would be to lock accounts until the person is cleared and then restore them, but I guess Google just can't afford that. Probably Apple is no better in its own way. Europeans have more privacy rights than we do, and the tech companies are expected to comply. Even Canadians have more privacy rights in some spheres, than we do; e.g. I discovered in BC that property ownership is private info unless you have a "need to know". Here it's public record and if you need to protect yourself from a stalker, say, you have to petition the gov't for your name to be removed from the public record. But of course the aggregators have probably already captured you. Any of our NWH techie members have ideas about alternatives for (at least) more email privacy?
I feel the same way about wanting as much privacy online as possible. I'm not overboard about it, too late to worry much anyways, everyone is online and vulnerable. One thing I do, and you may find this helpful, is I never use the same name or handle on two separate forums or sites. I've read from a familiar Ann Elk post in the Seattle Times comments. Just something to think about if you are worried.

none
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 5:28 am 
and do not EVER put your real birth date or birth year on any website (you'll notice I've removed mine from this site in my "profile")

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am 
Jordan wrote:
a familiar Ann Elk post in the Seattle Times comments.
LOL - a different spelling there, but obviously a lot of Monty Python fans out there. Maybe I should change my NWH ID just on that account ... but I've been here too long.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 23, 2022 8:38 pm 

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:54 am 
https://www.wired.com/story/fbi-google-geofence-warrant-january-6/amp Trigger warning, this is somewhat political. It's also a good read for anybody interested in this topic.