Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cougars dont discriminate between wild & domestic
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 12:55 pm 
^ Oregon's famous "OR-7" was a juvenile male that got booted out of a pack in NE Oregon (?) and was spotted down near Medford ... presumably looking for a girlfriend. There's a thread (or discussion) about him here somewhere.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 11:39 am 
Ski wrote:
^ There was an issue in Yellowstone National Park with the resident rainbow trout population, which had been reduced almost to extinction. The introduction of the wolf in Yellowstone NP resulted in a behavioral change in the foraging habits of the resident population of elk, which gave the riparian vegetation a chance to get re-established along the banks of the Yellowstone River. The rainbow trout population subsequently recovered. In the case of Yellowstone National Park, the introduction of the wolf was a positive. The papers written by Beschta and Ripple on Yellowstone are pretty much the basis for the argument in support of re-establishing wolf populations everywhere else, but the same rules don't apply when you change the geography - not all the wildlife biologists are in lock-step agreement that the wolf will provide for some kind of panacea that will solve other problems - that's simply not the case at all. Idaho and Montana don't seem to be able to "manage" very well because they're too focused on catering to the wants of hunters and cattle ranchers.
Rainbow trout aren’t native to the Yellowstone river

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 11:52 am 
On topic, I don’t think encounters between canine and cougars are always in favor of the cat. My two dogs got into a pretty good scrap with a large male cougar up near Mission Peak in the Wenatchee mountains. They’re certainly not wolf size both were around 55 lbs, but they gave it go and we sent that cat running. Spot had multiple tooth and claw punctures but Zeke was unscathed but had a large scrape on his chest were he ran into a stob when he joined the fray.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 1:59 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
stob
Lol, new word for me. A couple of stobs nearly did me in twice while riding my off-road motorcycle. One hit me in the forearm and threw my sideways off my bike, if not for the pads in my jersey it would have been bad. The other stob was hidden in some leaves and when I ran over it, it stabbed (stobbed?)....me in the ribs, if didn't hit bone probably would have impaled me. Stob fear is real! eek.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 3:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
it stabbed (stobbed?)....me in the ribs
Where I come from, it would be "jobbed," but I don't think the rest of the world has caught up.