Forum Index > Trail Talk > ATAK iTAK thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 4:55 pm 
Good point. It is quite unlikely that the whole thing sits on top of a fairly new (or at least newly available) system. But this begs the question: How much of ATAK sits on top of other software that has been available for years? It is also possible that CalTopo is retrofitting some of its software to use ATAK, assuming there are features that ATAK is better at, or ATAK is a better base in the long run. Major retrofits have occurred in the software world (e. g. Firefox) and since CalTopo is fairly new, they probably built it to be fairly flexible. Who knows though. I don't want to suggest that CalTopo is spectacular, or the end-all of GPS based software. But I feel like they are engineer driven. They load up the thing with features, just because they can. In contrast, Apple -- no slouch in any respect -- seems more design driven. They may not be the first to implement a feature, but when they do, it is easy to use.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 6:45 am 
Here is an article about using ATAK for hiking. Shows how to install ATAK, get basemaps, etc Includes a video and screenshots https://paul-mandal.medium.com/atak-for-hikers-d96d5246193e

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Nov 22, 2022 8:03 am 
I was just looking at the ATAK user guide (http://7n7.us/civtak4manual) and near the end are instructions for how to (1) customize which interface buttons appear on the screen and (2) share that customization with others. Most hikers will have no interest in the features behind a number of those buttons. Currently I am finishing the documentation for a major update to GISsurfer. I will start a different thread when that update goes 'live'. Then I am going to take a swing at writing a Hikers Guide To ATAK and iTAK.