Forum Index > Gear Talk > Overnight boot drying ??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 5:20 pm 
I just discovered that my boots are still wet from being filled with snow and meltwater much of Saturday. I'm going to want to wear them again tomorrow. Is there any good way to dry them overnight? confused.gif Or, if I just go ahead and wear them wet, will it damage them? confused.gif A surprisingly inexperienced older hiker wants to know. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 5:43 pm 
Shove newspaper in them! DO NOT artificailly dry them! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cookiejar

cookiejar
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 5:50 pm 
Set them up in front of a fan. They still won't be bone-dry in the morning, but it should be enough to not matter with wool socks on. This technique is also useful for spreading the boot smell around the room. (I don't know if this is considered artificially drying them, but I haven't had a problem with it.)

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 7:42 pm 
Dry Boots
I’m with Backpacker Joe. Crumple up newspaper and place in your boots. Usually you replace every 12 hours, but to soak out the water faster you might replace the paper every couple of hours. I have seen boot drying machines advertised but I have never tried or talked to someone who has used one.

El Puma

El Puma
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 8:28 pm 
Another idea I use in tents: Wrap a Nalgene bottle or similar filled with hot water in a sock and put it in the shoe overnight. In the morning the boots are usually dry. (Is that an "artificial" method?) I do keep my leather boots well lubricated (another topic: Nixwax?) and feel that does help in their preservation process. At home I do participate in the newspaper process, however. Cheers-

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 9:34 pm 
Thanks. Newspapers in. ....... But I think I'll plan on taking several pairs of dry socks. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Bootstrap

Bootstrap
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 11:51 pm 
Could be wrong, but methinks it was Dave Page who said that newspaper thing is a bunch o' bunk... makes them take longer to dry. That fan idea sounds good. To answer your q, Scrooge, yes you can wear them wet. Anybody who does overnight trips is well acquainted with this, believe me! They'll even dry out if you wear them a few... weeks... due to your warm feets.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Nov 28, 2002 3:27 am 
Those little cheap boot dryers made for ski boots do work, and so does newspaper, though not as fast. The papers also soak up any smells that may be lurking. I have forced air gas heat in my house, and setting the boots near (but not on) does expedite drying. Also, pull out orthotics, footbeds, or the stock foot filler thing, that is obvious but helps. I always put them upside down, ditto. As far as sealants go, I still like the good old snow seal-and-oven method. Works better than modern solutions as far as I am concerned. Dave Page is not the best boot shop in town, go to Ramuta's on 6th and Stewart for everything but molded sole resoles. And of course they do the finest rock sole resole this side of France. biggrin.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Nov 28, 2002 9:51 am 
At what temperature does the drying become unnatural?

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Dec 02, 2002 2:34 pm 
I used a Peet Boot Dryer during the years I had to slog through whatever Mother Nature threw at me each day. It dries slow enough not to visibly distress the leather over night. Dry enough to give them another greasing or waxing (another controversy I'm sure) in the morning. I don't know how you can duplicate the conditions boot makers call for (cool dry) any better than the Peet.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
salish

salish
PostTue Dec 03, 2002 7:40 am 
I'm leaning towards a Peet boot dryer myself. At $69 it's not a bad investment, especially considering the amounts of money I've spent on boots over the past thiry years. And the testimonies from folks who use these gizmos is pretty convincing. I would be careful with the oven drying method. I used that for a few years but it's really easy to screw up and heat your leather boots too much. I know a couple of people who ruined boots that way. I've never had a problem with newspapers. For grease on my leather boots I've been using a new product this year called Montana Pitch Blend boot dressing, which is available only from the Birkenstock shoe stores in our area right now. I'm impressed with this stuff. Great thread. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostTue Dec 03, 2002 8:22 am 
$69. Ouch! That must be the downtown price. Should be able to find them for $35.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Quark

Quark
PostTue Dec 03, 2002 9:04 am 
My fave, West Coast Shoe Company (Westco) (founded by a guy named Shoemaker), and other boot companies' boot care booklets warn against heat drying. Dave Page warns against it, the shoe repair guy in Wallingford warns against it, the shoe guy over on Mercer Island warns against it. I once, by mistake, left a pair of perfectly good Raichles in the sun while I was out of town for a few days, and when I got back, the leather was pretty much ruined. So I'm thinkin' heat drying isn't such a good thing. Westco sells a boot dryer (uses a fan with no heat element) for $35.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostTue Dec 03, 2002 10:39 am 
My Mistake
Timber Cruiser wrote:
$69. Ouch! That must be the downtown price. Should be able to find them for $35.
Woops - that's for the "outdoor propane model", I see the indoor electric model is $29.99 (White's Boots catalog). I'm familar with WESTCO (Shoemaker), too. Say Timbercrusier, have you ever done much hiking in a White's Smokejumper style of boot? Same goes for Westco. I've got a coworker who has a 30 year old pair of White's Smokejumpers, and although they are heavy, he prefers them to hiking boots for all off trail recreation. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostTue Dec 03, 2002 2:40 pm 
Salish, The only White's I've owned are the pac type but I have had the smokejumper style in just about every other make. My first pair were Buffalo's (when they were still made and sold down on Lake Union). I've always bought steel calked boots, which aren't good for trails (imagine someone trying to pound blunt nails through the soles of your boots) but are essential for off-trail work. The leather uppers can protect your shins when bushwacking or give support to weak ankles, but they are fairly heavy and hot in warm weather. Some people have trouble with the high-counter-heels and walk off the side of the boot. Leather quality has slipped quite a bit over the years. If you are looking at a pair under $200 (say West Coasts) they aren't going to be the best for durability. The other extreme would be a pair of hand builts by someone like Kulien down in Centralia. $400+ and I hear he keeps the leather in a valult!