PostFri Nov 11, 2022 12:17 pm 

BW, runup, Pyrites, ChinookPass, GaliWalker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 2:30 pm 
"The Tree" - Japanese Maple - Portland Japanese Garden
"The Tree" - Japanese Maple - Portland Japanese Garden

reststep, lanzscape, JimK, Sculpin, half fast, Chief Joseph, mike, Prosit, Olympic Hiker, ChinookPass
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 am 
Zion Branch Dance (1 of 1)
Here's a shot from early November 2018 near the Virgin River in Zion's main valley. I really enjoyed wandering around there in the morning while the sun was being reflected off the north wall of the canyon onto the shaded terrain around me - it's really special light and at this time of year it lasts for a good while. I just revisited this shot because I had trouble processing it in such a way as to get the color and tones to match what my mind recalls from the scene - this finally gets close to that "mind's eye" image.

JimK, Anne Elk, mike
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 3:14 pm 
Virgin Cottonwoods (1 of 1)
Virgin Cottonwoods (1 of 1)
Here's another shot from the other side of the valley in the afternoon, when the light is on the other wall...

JimK, half fast, meck
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 9:47 pm 
Gnome fishing at seekrit lake
Gnome fishing at seekrit lake

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 1:42 pm 
Rim Lit Zion Ridges (1 of 1)
Rim Lit Zion Ridges (1 of 1)
Another belated edit from my 2018 Utah trip, this one also from Zion, along the trail up to Observation point (the trail I hiked out of the main valley on this hike is currently closed due to rockfall btw). I enjoyed this hike much more than the wildly popular hike up to Angel's Landing - more varied, great views, less people. I think I made it back to the trailhead just in time to catch the second-to-last shuttle of the day after spending much time in the morning taking pictures down in the valley and then again in the afternoon up high on this hike doing the same.

Anne Elk, ChinookPass
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 pm 
First light near Frenchglen, OR. September 6, 2022. Climbing the hill on the way out of town on a bike tour of central and southeast, Oregon.

Sculpin
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 3:28 pm 
If some of you are wondering what has happened to Wildernessed.....he still gets out. Here he is with Steve and I up at Horse Lake today.
Up on Horse Lake near Wenatchee.
Up on Horse Lake near Wenatchee.

Get Out and Go, joker, ChinookPass, Sculpin, RichP
gb

gb
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 4:05 pm 
joker wrote:
Here's a shot from early November 2018 near the Virgin River in Zion's main valley. I really enjoyed wandering around there in the morning while the sun was being reflected off the north wall of the canyon onto the shaded terrain around me - it's really special light and at this time of year it lasts for a good while. I just revisited this shot because I had trouble processing it in such a way as to get the color and tones to match what my mind recalls from the scene - this finally gets close to that "mind's eye" image.
In the desert where I've not been in a few years, now, that is my favorite kind of lighting because it is so rich and warm from the sun on opposite walls. Eliot Porter did a great deal of that photography in his book, "Glen Canyon the Place No One Knew". Porter called that canyon lighting. His photography was the artistic inspiration on my first trips to canyon country in the early 90's. https://catalogue.swanngalleries.com/Lots/auction-lot/ELIOT-PORTER-%281901-1990%29-Portfolio-entitled-Glen-Canyon?saleno=2536&lotNo=213&refNo=770329

joker
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 8:37 pm 
gb wrote:
that is my favorite kind of lighting because it is so rich and warm from the sun on opposite walls.
It's a whole different aesthetic, I think - the attention is drawn to the compositional elements. I used to do a lot of flat light photography in the mountains and often found contrasty lighting to be a distraction. Jim, your "Zion branch dance" is one of the best I've seen on this site in that regard. It would make a fabulous giant print. up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Nov 22, 2022 1:06 am 
gb wrote:
Eliot Porter did a great deal of that photography in his book, "Glen Canyon the Place No One Knew".
His work has been an inspiration to me also, and that book is a fantastic piece of work.
Anne Elk wrote:
gb wrote:
that is my favorite kind of lighting because it is so rich and warm from the sun on opposite walls.
It's a whole different aesthetic, I think - the attention is drawn to the compositional elements. I used to do a lot of flat light photography in the mountains and often found contrasty lighting to be a distraction. Jim, your "Zion branch dance" is one of the best I've seen on this site in that regard. It would make a fabulous giant print. up.gif
Thanks - it's one of my favorites of mine in that reflected light in the canyons. I have another I really like from right along the highway through Capitol Reef (you can't tell the highway is right there behind me though :-) - also with some tree trunks whose gestures caught my eye.

gb

gb
PostTue Nov 22, 2022 7:52 am 
joker wrote:
gb wrote:
Eliot Porter did a great deal of that photography in his book, "Glen Canyon the Place No One Knew".
His work has been an inspiration to me also, and that book is a fantastic piece of work.
Anne Elk wrote:
gb wrote:
Thanks - it's one of my favorites of mine in that reflected light in the canyons. I have another I really like from right along the highway through Capitol Reef (you can't tell the highway is right there behind me though :-) - also with some tree trunks whose gestures caught my eye.
One hike I've done three times is the Moody Canyon loop. On each occasion, I took the same image, or nearly the same image of two different walls, both with canyon lighting. I later found that Philip Hyde (Hyde's gallery of images: https://lumieregallery.net/4146/philip-hyde/) took essentially the same images in the early 60's I believe. He famously named one of those walls. I've not scanned the above images, so don't have them in digital form. But here is one from my last 2014 trip. The desert is a very special place, especially for photography:

meck, graywolf, Anne Elk  joker
half fast

half fast
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 7:50 am 
Ruby beach... These were taken on my phone...not the best quality but a beautiful day

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast

Chief Joseph, joker, ChinookPass, meck, tinman, Ski, kite, graywolf
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 8:43 am 
Stunning pictures Half Fast....now I gotta go to the coast.... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

half fast
mike

mike
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 9:10 pm 
couple lighthouse shots...
Lime Kiln
Lime Kiln
Cattle Point, Thanksgiving
Cattle Point, Thanksgiving

Slim, Anne Elk, GaliWalker, half fast, joker