Forum Index > Trail Talk > Carbon River area hammered again
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 6:22 pm 
Obviously my attempts above to try to describe the conditions were not clear. Here is another attempt:
Carbon River Road - before and after
Carbon River Road - before and after
For reasons I myself am not totally conversant about, the elevation of the bottom of the streambed rose to the point where it is currently higher than the road prism. The reasons get into technical stuff - they have a title for the people who study this stuff - hydromorphologists or something like that - it gets into glacial activity and all that. Most of it's a bit above my pay grade - I was never a big math whiz. Rivers are dynamic - they are never static unless they're "contained" (e.g. Mississippi) but even then, now and then they let everybody know who's boss (e.g. Yellowstone River 2022.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

sarbar
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 6:26 pm 
That's why in the 2006 flood the river ran down the road. The road was lower, and the river breached the forest between the river and road...and well, goodbye!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 6:33 pm 
That's why in the 2006 flood the river ran down the road. The road was lower, and the river breached the forest between the river and road...and well, goodbye! That was the road under the tree in early 2007, after the water had receded.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

Ski
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 9:52 pm 
^ exactomundo. ergo: totally a lost cause. nothing to be done to "fix" it. bk

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 1:09 am 
Maybe "fluvial geomorphology" is the term you're looking for. If you're interested in how streams behave there's endless reading there.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 7:22 am 
^ yeah.... if you need some reading material, let me know. wink.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 1:03 pm 
Ski wrote:
For reasons I myself am not totally conversant about, the elevation of the bottom of the streambed rose to the point where it is currently higher than the road prism.
The high river flows dump new bedload; when the water goes back down to normal levels, the riverbed is higher. There's probably more to it than that, but I think this is the gist of it. And think of all those skipping-stones people try to skip across the water - even when it's silly to try it - and the stones drop. There's that, too.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 2:28 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
The high river flows dump new bedload; when the water goes back down to normal levels, the riverbed is higher.
Kayaked the SF Puyallup from West Side Rd on down to Orting once and experienced this phenomenon in the section with glacial outwash deposition just downstream of WSR to maybe the park boundary. Very unique experience floating along in the river looking down upon the broader riverbed on either side of you.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 2:42 pm 
^ as I recall - my memory on this is a bit fuzzy - glacier recession pushes more gravel into the channel. the gravel, which had previously been held in place by the weight of the ice on top of it, is now free to move down the river channel. causes me to wonder if somebody wrote a paper on it yet. most of these get pretty thick, but they give a fairly good overview of what's going on: Channel-planform evolution in four rivers of Olympic National Park, Washington, USA: the roles of physical drivers and trophic cascades 2016 East et al A Process-Based View of Floodplain Forest Patterns in Coastal River Valleys of the Pacific Northwest 2010 Naiman et al Dynamic patch mosaics and channel movement in an unconfined river valley of the Olympic Mountains 2006 Latterell et al Influence of vertical channel change associated with wood accumulations on delineating channel migration zones, Washington, USA 2006 Brummer et al you should be able to download any of those from academia.edu or archive.org. if not, p/m me and I can email them. (* and you did know, of course, that you can download all kinds of your favorite classical hits at archive.org, right? worth a look. * )

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Nov 23, 2022 1:23 pm 
River Aggradation, common for glacial streams as mentioned above.

I desire medium danger williswall.com