Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Empire Builder - James J. Hill & Great Northern Railway
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 2:38 pm 
I used to go with a girl from Ballard when I was at the U. I remember lots of fishing boats moored in Salmon Bay during the winter. We had many Norskies and Swedes on Whidbey when I was growing up there in the 40s. A many were fishermen. We lived at the extreme south end of Whidbey, and the distance to the GN tracks along the sound was not that far. In the winter, on a calm cold night you could hear the steam whistle across the water. If this condition existed plus a ring around the moon, snow was expected. I had a cousin that lived in Leavenworth, and he would occasionally take the train across the pass. We would pick him up at the train stop in Mukilteo. Those old steamers were certainly impressive. Anybody out there remember Stan Boreson?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Apr 21, 2023 5:48 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I stand corrected. He also is the origin of the old saying, “What in Sam Hill” for a nutty statement.
I always thought the same but I just spent the week at Maryhill and learned otherwise. It's actually a much older phrase, probably from Samuel W. Hill, an early Michigan surveyor

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Apr 21, 2023 8:59 pm 
North Dakota was another spot Scandinavians landed before moving to the coast. My great grandfather came from Norway to New York then tried his hand wheat farming in North Dakota before settling down in what became Bothell. For me I always thought the train would be a pleasant way to travel but my experience tells me it is all relative. It was probably a great way to travel when the alternative was horse and buggy but these days you would have to be comfortable with that motion to really enjoy it.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Apr 22, 2023 7:43 am 
Schroder wrote:
I just spent the week at Maryhill
I was in Maryhill last week, too. I was heading elsewhere, but had some time to kill so I stopped off at Stonehenge and wandered around the state park for a bit. I went looking for the restrooms and discovered someone had set some disc golf baskets up in the park. I had my bag with me so that was a bit of fun, too. The Wikipedia page on the Sam Hill euphemism mentions the Maryhill Sam Hill as a "non-contender" for the reason you outlined.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch