Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Username lookup
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:47 pm 
Slight change, removed the username lookup button when sending PMs in favor of auto complete. Just start typing username and it should automatically find it. Only works in modern browsers. Let me know if there are any glitches, or if by chance there are any masochists still using a vintage browser, if it interferes with sending a PM. Similar functionality also added to the Search screen when searching by username.

Josh Journey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 4:58 pm 
Worked right away in the most recent version of Firefox for Linux. up.gif up.gif Perhaps it can be implemented for the member search? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8004796 Would be incredible if applied to the photo tagging feature. It's still the best tagging implementation I've ever seen. The fact that other members can contribute blow away social media implementations.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 5:42 pm 
Not sure what you mean. You can search by username on the search screen and autocomplete works there as well. Or do you mean tag users in posts? That gets kind of tricky and would require adding some sort of notification for mentions similar to likes. Personally I get kind of annoyed on FB when I'm typing something and username suggestions pop up.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 8:01 pm 
Tom wrote:
Not sure what you mean. You can search by username on the search screen and autocomplete works there as well. Or do you mean tag users in posts? That gets kind of tricky and would require adding some sort of notification for mentions similar to likes. Personally I get kind of annoyed on FB when I'm typing something and username suggestions pop up.
My first statement was meant for the member directory list page: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/memberlist.php Awesome to know for the search page. Just found that now. cool.gif Regarding tagging members in photos, it could only trigger when starting with a @ sign. So to tag you in a trip report captioned 'Tom with Blanca lake' I'd have to type it as '@Tom with Blanca lake'. Here's a little JavaScript article that uses keys to trigger events: https://www.section.io/engineering-education/keyboard-events-in-javascript/#prerequisites We could trigger the new AJAX form to appear when a user types the '@' in specific forms which could then insert username text into the caption.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 12:06 am 
I added something to the memberlist page to search there as well. Mentions probably won't be implemented any time soon as I'm not sure there is enough value added to justify the effort.

Josh Journey
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 7:46 am 
Member list search works amazingly well! Thank you Tom. Honestly faster than Facebook's.