Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 7:34 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
Anybody know why there was so much smoke in the valley 10/10?
I think the cold, stagnant air traps smoke from homes burning wood & smog from cars in valleys. Was pretty shocked to see some parts of Seattle had AQI ~100 this morning!

zimmertr  Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 8:10 pm 
Yeah Newcastle had pretty bad air yesterday too. Sucks.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 9:14 pm 
Hound pound! hink.gif Oxbow, Bessemer Rd, CCC, Middle Fork Rd., for the loop. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44468754@N04/albums/72177720303703488/with/52500918734/

HikingBex, ALW Hiker
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 11:48 am 
Melakwa Lake 11/13/2022 Snow from the trailhead with a nice bootpack all the way to the lakes. Only slippery part was in the first mile-ish where the snow was really compacted and had melted & refrozen a bit, but I never put on microspikes. Denny Creek was low enough that we just walked across in mountaineering boots at both crossings (the log at about 2.5 miles in was a little treacherous with snow on it). The sun dipped behind Low Mountain at about 1:30pm, and that was the last of our direct sunlight for the day! So fun to do this trail covered in snow & without the summer crowds - only saw about 10 people all day. Absolutely beautiful day to be out!

Nancyann, SpookyKite89, Tom, RichP, Bowregard, zimmertr, Now I Fly
mosey

mosey
PostFri Nov 18, 2022 12:04 pm 
Amazing weather window, snow is fairly icy and consolidated with 1-2cm of hoar and lots of wind scoured areas up high.
lemah
lemah
kaleetan
kaleetan
lunch break
lunch break

ALW Hiker, Tom, Now I Fly, HikingBex, zimmertr
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 18, 2022 5:36 pm 
Back in the USA recovered from Covid. First trip to Snow Lake this year fairly crowded (suprise). Incredably beautiful blue bird day some wind easy with spikes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Nancyann
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 11:33 am 
Another post Covid recovery hike, just an easy walk up the Foss River Trail to Trout Lake on Wednesday. Hardest part was removing part of a log blocking the road. A bit snowy and icy on parts of the trail so I wore Microspikes but Hiking Partner didn’t need them.
Old folks getting it done!
Now we can drive through. smile.gif
Normally busy lake was very peaceful.
I always hug this tree. wub.gif
Alpenglow at the outhouse.

jaysway, hikerbiker, Now I Fly, RichP, mosey, zimmertr  KascadeFlat
hikergirl1234

hikergirl1234
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 7:24 pm 
Wright Mountain via Snow/Gem Lakes After being sick with a cold earlier in the week and spending far too much time indoors working, I was eager for a mellow-ish day outside! Beautiful day tagging Wright Mountain via Snow Lake/Gem Lake trail - destination chosen after reading several beautiful TR's on the WTA site. There's well-defined bootpath all the way to the top of Wright Mountain. A special opportunity to explore the area in low avy danger conditions, I imagine conditions, ease of access, and safety could all change quickly after a big snow dump.
Crossing Snow lake's outlet
Views from the summit Equipment: poles were extremely helpful, brought and did not use spikes but my friend found microspikes helpful for a few slippier parts. Stats: RT approx 10.6miles and just shy of 3k ft total elapsed gain, about 5 hours moving time.

jaysway, mosey, Nancyann, Now I Fly, ALW Hiker, awilsondc, RichP  KascadeFlat
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 9:22 pm 
November isn't often a kayaking month but this hasn't been an average November. Paddled around the east end of Spada Lake on Saturday. With the reservoir drawn down there were some interesting things to see; I stopped at the Williamson Creek mud flat/gravel plain and explored some on foot. The bridge shown crossing the creek upstream of the lake is still in great shape, although the road on either side is very overgrown. I was surprised to see a faint footpath and pink flagging heading along the east side of the creek along the old road--perhaps a few folks are still headed to Copper Lake? A helicopter did fly overhead going up the creek before returning a half hour later, so maybe some of the mining claims up that way are still active. Back at Spada I briefly headed towards the Sultan River inlet but couldn't make it far with the low water. I did run cross the old bridge pilings of what was an old road from the south side of the Sultan River over to Williamson Creek; I assume this bridge was in place and in use until the dam was raised in 1984, though maybe someone more familiar with the history knows for sure. I'm interested to come back to Williamson Creek now that it looks like the old road is not a total brush bash.
Vesper and Morning Star
Vesper and Morning Star
Rojo and Red
Rojo and Red
Like glass
Like glass
Williamson inlet
Williamson inlet
Gravel flats of Williamson Creek
Gravel flats of Williamson Creek
Approaching the old bridge
Approaching the old bridge
Looking east on the old bridge
Looking east on the old bridge
Faint trail on the E side of Williamson Creek
Faint trail on the E side of Williamson Creek
Hall Peak overlooking Williamson Creek
Hall Peak overlooking Williamson Creek
Old bridge piling and approach + Red
Old bridge piling and approach + Red
Old pilings up close
Old pilings up close
Snags and Hall Peak
Snags and Hall Peak

hikerbiker, Bramble_Scramble, ALW Hiker, mosey, Lightning_bug, JimK, Nancyann  KascadeFlat
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 2:41 pm 
Frankly its amazing that access to Spada is still allowed. Considering the terrorist threat these days. Its nice to see it again.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 5:47 pm 
Took a trip up Tiger 1 & 2 today before predicted storm hit no pix. Went to Highpoint East site of T4 up Highpoint to TMT East to Preston Trail. Preston trail to clearcut backtrack on upper bootleg. Cross country to closest tower 3-5” snow on ridge top. Went to WT1 friendly pickup driver on road working on towers. Then over to WT2 and down to K3. Saw a number of trail runners but no hikers. Back down to Marats bridge and back to car 7.6 mi. 2750’ elevation. Afraid it will get a lot harder after tonight.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Now I Fly
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Nov 27, 2022 1:23 am 
Ran into you lower down on my way up, one of a few times we've crossed paths over the years tongue.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 27, 2022 9:06 am 
Did you see mother bear with cubs?

mosey
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Nov 28, 2022 12:33 am 
Spent a short Thanksgiving weekend in the Oregon high desert. It's been 30 years since we've been to Smith Rocks, climbing back in the day. It's good to see the park service has built trails/belay base areas to support some of the high use routes. What a spectacular place! We did the Misery Hill loop (clockwise) to get some exercise on a cold, bluebird day.
Mandatory monkey
Spent 2 more days touring, it's really fun to spend time in such different ecosystems. The area is enormously interesting for the geological/evolutionary record that is preserved, looking forward to going back. Those colors are real! And the juniper trees.........

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

KascadeFlat, mike, jaysway, Now I Fly, Tom, SpookyKite89, mosey, RichP, Slim
RichP

RichP
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 8:57 am 
I visited the Roslyn Urban forest for the first time yesterday and hiked to the 3760' highpoint, Cle Elum Ridge or Roslyn Ridge depending on your source. I parked at the end of Nevada Ave and took the Crooked Tree Trail up to The Main Ridge Rd to finish up. About 5 miles RT and 1400' of gain. Deep, powdery snow made for tough trail breaking with snowshoes.
trying to not step in ski tracks
trying to not step in ski tracks
I soon veered off to trackless snow
I soon veered off to trackless snow
Looking back to my route from the main Ridge Rd
Looking back to my route from the main Ridge Rd
These snowmobile tracks were a welcome relief after knee-deep trail breaking
These snowmobile tracks were a welcome relief after knee-deep trail breaking
Bench or hitching post near the highpoint
Bench or hitching post near the highpoint

KascadeFlat, Now I Fly, fourteen410