Forum Index > Trip Reports > Berdeen Lake 8/28 - 9/5, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Prosit

Prosit
PostWed Nov 23, 2022 7:04 pm 
This is a little late, but sometimes it’s fun to revisit a summer trip during the dark season. I’ve visited the upper Bacon Creek basin that includes Green and Berdeen Lakes a number of times, using each of the five common access routes. But despite these many trips, a spark to explore and spend more time in this beautiful basin continues to draw me. This year I decided to do a trip focused on the shores of Berdeen Lake, which in the past I’ve stayed at only briefly before continuing on to other traverse destinations. I chose Porkbelly Ridge for both my entry and exit. This route has gained some notoriety, but this is the third time I’ve used it, and I have an appreciation for its virtues. Part of its appeal are the fine views that start on the 4840’+ top of the ridge and run all the way to the pass that provides access to the Berdeen Lake basin. geyer and kloria took some memorable photos in fantastic light from this area on their 2019 trip. But there are many dramatic perspectives to see along this traverse, as well as more intimate sights.
Electric Butte through the trees
Electric Butte through the trees
Bacon Peak
Bacon Peak
Mt Despair in Clouds at Sunrise
Mt Despair in Clouds at Sunrise
Clouds and Light
Clouds and Light
Cloud Forest
Cloud Forest
Trees in Morning Light
Trees in Morning Light
East Fork Bacon Creek
East Fork Bacon Creek
Five Ptar-mi-gans!!! ...four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves...
Five Ptar-mi-gans!!! ...four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves...
Meltwater pond reflection
Meltwater pond reflection
Mt Despair emerging
Mt Despair emerging
Mystery Ridge in Clouds
Mystery Ridge in Clouds
Mystery Ridge Pt 6514
Mystery Ridge Pt 6514
Mystery Ridge and Mt Despair
Mystery Ridge and Mt Despair
Once you get to the pass and see the lake, it feels like a kind of baptism, and you want to get closer. Different places along and around the lake have different characters, and lead you to focus on different things, which makes exploring the lake’s large basin more interesting.
Bacon Peak over Berdeen Lake
Bacon Peak over Berdeen Lake
Mt Hagan over Berdeen Lake
Mt Hagan over Berdeen Lake
Lonely Peak
Lonely Peak
Lonesome Peak reflected in Upper Berdeen Lake
Lonesome Peak reflected in Upper Berdeen Lake
Berdeen and Upper Berdeen Lakes
Berdeen and Upper Berdeen Lakes
Berdeen Falls and Meadows
Berdeen Falls and Meadows
Berdeen Falls
Berdeen Falls
One morning, isolated storm cells were passing swiftly overhead right at sunrise and caught the light magnificently. A few brief showers produced a partial double rainbow, and the light reflecting off the massive clouds illuminated the otherwise shaded landscape in warm, radiant light.
Another morning, as I walked along an opposite shore, low clouds condensed over the southwestern end of the lake, lowering and softening the light. It was quiet, with only the hint of a breeze in the fresh morning air. As I stepped through the rocks, a gentle sound of water lapping upon the stony shore arose. It felt so soothing that I stopped to lower my pack, sit on a rock, and listen for a while. As I listened, sunbeams came through to light up my area, sending pleasing shivers of warmth down my spine.
Mirror mirror on the lake, what's the fairest route to take?
Mirror mirror on the lake, what's the fairest route to take?
Weather was good for the entire trip, with only one evening/night of significant rain (but it poured that night!). I like trips with varied, interesting weather; everything from bluebird skies to stormy clouds, and this was just such a trip. Smoke from the Chilliwack/Whatcom Pass area fires created haze on some days, and though I did see plumes of smoke engulf areas in the distance, for the most part it didn’t directly invade the Berdeen Lake basin, which was a big relief.
There is no short or easy way to access the upper Bacon Creek basin, and I am thankful for that. There are relatively few telltale signs of human visitation in the basin, and I fervently hope it will remain that way. It’s a special place, requiring special effort, and deserving of considerate and thoughtful care if you go there.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

mossbackmax, BarbE, Brushbuffalo, RAW-dad, pjhorst, Kascadia, Silas, Now I Fly, SpookyKite89, zimmertr, Gimpilator, Bootpathguy, neek, Bramble_Scramble, fffej50, half fast, yukon222, John Mac, reststep, Waterman, Bowregard, meck, Nancyann, RichP, brewermd, flatsqwerl  jaysway, abkoch3  Downhill, fourteen410, Bushwacker  resilient, rubywrangler, Slim, wyattmullen, Tom, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Nov 23, 2022 8:14 pm 
Simply incredible, Prosit. You are a master of appreciating the moment and the small details of being in the mountains. This might be your best photography yet, too. Thank you for blessing us with this wonderful trip report! borank.gif

brewermd

brewermd
PostWed Nov 23, 2022 8:24 pm 
Thank you for the report, this area is already on the short list for next season.

wyattmullen
Wyatt

wyattmullen
Wyatt
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 1:13 am 
Every single one of these photos is incredible! This area has been on my list for years and the only reason I didn't make it out this year was because of the wildfire smoke which I thought would impact views, but obviously it wasn't as impactful as I imagined. You're definitely making me think that I would want to spend more time and not less around the lake. You got so many different conditions there! The rainbow and the sunsets and all the other photos are unforgettable. Definitely some of the best of the area I've seen. Thank you so much for sharing!

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 7:43 am 
Am at a loss of words!!! Wow....thanks for sharing!!! Happy Thanksgiving from Thailand.

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 11:14 am 
Absolutely stunning.
Prosit wrote:
^ What a cool shot.

BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 3:45 pm 
Spectacular photos! Too many great ones to pick a favorite.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 8:57 pm 
Wow! Wonderful photos of a beautiful trip. Thank you! It appears you go to the effort of packing a 'real' camera. Thank you as well for leaving the the details of ingress and egress a bit skimpy. Those who would follow will have to do a bit of homework and navigation on their own. It it's own small way this may help the area remain lightly visited.

Brockton

Brockton
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 9:56 pm 
Many of these photos are amazing. At first, I couldn't figure this one out. I knew it was a reflection of some sort but it just didn't make sense. I literally had to turn my laptop screen upside down to see what was going on.
fourteen410 wrote:
Absolutely stunning.
Prosit wrote:
^ What a cool shot.

reststep
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 10:05 pm 
Prosit wrote:
Cloud Forest
Cloud Forest
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 2:37 pm 
Some of us cant do these hikes any longer, so its with much appreciating that I say think you for posting. You give us the ability to live however shortly thru your experiences. Wonderful work. If you would please. Explain "Porkbelly Ridge". Im familiar with most of the approaches to this area. Im not familiar with that one.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
contour5

contour5
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 11:16 pm 
You really captured the magic! Very nicely done.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 4:16 pm 
Appreciate this report very much. It was all snow covered when I was there, even the lake. Nice to see more of it in your photos.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 8:44 pm 
Excellent TR and pics!! Thanks for sharing your awesome trip

Eric Eames
Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostSun Nov 27, 2022 12:16 pm 
Porkbelly Ridge is between the forks of Bacon Creek. I think John Roper came up with that excellent name.