Forum Index > Trip Reports > Burnt mnt to Old Baldy Loop - Oct 6 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 12:29 pm 
Happy Thanksgiving! Well the food is all prepped and no one is here yet so I guess I'll post this trip report...although a bit late. I've been up Burnt mnt several times and Old Baldy once and have been wanting to do the connecting ridge between them thus making a nice little loop trip. I parked right after the big bridge crosses the Carbon river at the start of Cayada rd. From here you follow the logging roads that lead to the upper clearcuts. Exit the highest point on the eastern edge of the clearcut. there is a trail in progress here linking game trails that rises up and bears east. Eventually you pickup the open broad summit ridge road. Great views now for a mile or so. Follow east until it dead ends and you have a big talus slope directly north. Follow talus directly up to the treed summit. From the summit the choice is obvious...follow the ridge east scrambling around and pushing through scratchy trees. I was an hour on this ridge section dinking around until I found myself close enough to Old Baldy to have to choose which side to approach it from. I chose the North side. It was in the shade and seemed like the 'road less traveled'. I stayed at the top of the talus field ( like the goats ) wrapping around the NW flank of Old Baldy. Then I just went straight up, gained the N ridge of Old Baldy and it was an easy walk to the top. Descent is straight forward. Drop down heading SE across the scenic basin/open slopes until a point on the ridge at about 4900ft. Keep descending heading east to pick up the old road at about 3900 ft. This road has been recently worked on and may be private property. I ran across a trashy outpost with a shipping container ( open) and trashed. Within a half mile of this sight I then saw private property keep out signs. Soon I was on Cayada road and 3 miles later, my car. No water on this trip until hitting the old reworked road.
top of the clearcut
top of the clearcut
from Burnt
from Burnt
looking back at Burnt
looking back at Burnt
on the NW flank of Old Baldy
on the NW flank of Old Baldy
on Baldy looking west
on Baldy looking west
descending Baldy
descending Baldy