Forum Index > Gear Talk > "20 game changer pieces that changed backpacking gear forever" from BPer Magazine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostWed Nov 23, 2022 10:20 pm 
The frame pack did not make the list? that would be my addition.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 10:15 am 
PowderPawn wrote:
The frame pack did not make the list? that would be my addition.
I would have included the JanSport D2. You could carry incredible loads in that frame.

Carbonj
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 11:14 am 
Pretty good list. I almost always carry one Nalgene with me. I don't like narrow mouth water containers for a couple of reasons. I take protein powder to make a morning shake and it is just way easier to get it into a wide mouth Nalgene. And then it is easier to get water into it as well. I shave weight elsewhere. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

rossb, graywolf
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 2:52 pm 
catsp wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I shave weight elsewhere.
Me too. That's why I think I would have included the Lawn Mower on the list.
I shave my way and you "shave" your way *bigmanscapinggrins* Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
pula58

pula58
PostMon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Pretty good list. I almost always carry one Nalgene with me. I don't like narrow mouth water containers for a couple of reasons. I take protein powder to make a morning shake and it is just way easier to get it into a wide mouth Nalgene. And then it is easier to get water into it as well. I shave weight elsewhere. Rumi
In WA state it seems like we are melting snow for water Late October through sometime in July. Try pouring melted snow from your cook pot into a smartwater bottle. Nope! I'll stick with Nalgene bottles!

RumiDude, graywolf
uww

uww
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 9:47 am 
Do the 'waterproof' down products actually stand up to the weather we have in the PNW for jackets? I have been sticking to synthetics for fear of down wetting out. Sleeping bags I can keep dry in my pack and tent so I go down there for weight and compressibility. The article says treated down is now ubiquitous in jackets and sleeping bags- is that really the case? I would think they would still be bragging about it and I only rarely see it in the descriptions.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 2:54 pm 
pula58 wrote:
Try pouring melted snow from your cook pot into a smartwater bottle.
That's exactly what I am doing here. So it is not that big of a deal. YMMV biggrin.gif
Melting water WTF ?
Melting water WTF ?

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 12:58 am 
uww wrote:
Do the 'waterproof' down products actually stand up to the weather we have in the PNW for jackets? I have been sticking to synthetics for fear of down wetting out. Sleeping bags I can keep dry in my pack and tent so I go down there for weight and compressibility.
Pertex fabric does a reasonable job protecting down from light moisture. Down or Synthetic is useless to miserable if soaked. If it’s cold and raining a fleece layer under a raincoat is my preference when hiking.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau

RumiDude, uww
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 10:28 am 
uww wrote:
Do the 'waterproof' down products actually stand up to the weather we have in the PNW for jackets?
No. Or a better way to put it is we get some cold, dry weather during the winter and treated down is good for those days, just like regular down.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 5:36 pm 
InFlight wrote:
uww wrote:
Do the 'waterproof' down products actually stand up to the weather we have in the PNW for jackets? I have been sticking to synthetics for fear of down wetting out. Sleeping bags I can keep dry in my pack and tent so I go down there for weight and compressibility.
Pertex fabric does a reasonable job protecting down from light moisture. Down or Synthetic is useless to miserable if soaked. If it’s cold and raining a fleece layer under a raincoat is my preference when hiking.
I have to say that a fleece is an oft overlooked bit of gear. And on the list is the Patagonia R1 fleece, which I currently use the R1 Air Full Zip Hoody as my go-to rather than a down jacket. if faced with a choice, the R1 comes with me almost every time. It excels at wicking moisture away from me while keeping me warm. Rumi

rossb

rossb
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 6:11 pm 
Nalgenes have several advantages. First, they are very tough. I've never known them to break. The wide mouth makes it much easier for adding snow (in the spring). In the winter, the opening is less likely to freeze. I also think the attachable lid was a big addition. I can open a Nalgene with mitts on easily, and not worry about losing my cap. In mid-summer and fall I tend to go with Platypus (as my clean container) but for the rest of the year I find Nalgene essential. I think they did represent an important breakthrough and are still a popular product. There are plenty of important breakthroughs that were simply stepping stones.

RumiDude
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 7:12 pm 
rossb wrote:
Nalgenes have several advantages.
And one disadvantage - for me. For some reason, the diameter of the Nalgene opening doesn't work well with the profile of my face. When I rest the bottom edge of the opening on my lower lip and tip the bottle to drink, the upper edge hits my nose and I often dribble water all over myself. Or maybe I'm just a clumsy dork.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 10:25 am 
The original Nalgene water bottles were narrow mouthed ones polyethylene purloined from chem labs in the 60’s (you only took new ones). Soon after that REI started carrying them for less than $1. Then they changed to high density polyethylene and wide mouths for $2. They next changed to clear plastic and price went up again. BPA controversy came up and non BPA ones reached $5. Now we mostly use repurposed throw away ones for a few uses. Thru hikers mostly us Smartwater bottles as they are thicker and accept the threads on a Sawyer filter. I have this history at home. I had a camelback bladder pop on an Enchantment hike/run but the patty’s are tougher.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn