Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2023 NWHikers Calender Orders
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 2:25 am 
0 members have voted:

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:37 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 1:00 pm 
kite wrote:
It's very gracious of Wyatt, but I kind of think his September image is wonderful and might be more in keeping with the calendar.
Given this comes from the photographer of the frog (which is indeed a really special photo) I don't mind pointing out that I agree. Hiking in September = bright red blueberry bushes (or other red shrubs). Wyatt's illustrates that best. That said, I do ZERO work to produce this calendar every year (other than vote), so I'm totally fine with selections made for ANY reason. I'm just grateful to everyone involved that you still do it in the days where wall calendars are going the way of analog wall clocks and landline wall phones. I love the NWHiker calendar. I don't use it to mark dates anymore (who does?) since that's what a phone is for these days. I just love having a NWHiker photo to gaze at whenever I feel like it in both my office and kitchen! A Hallmark calendar wouldn't have the same appeal. I've met several NWHiker's on the trail over the years and had a few nice pms with others; kinda gives meaning to the "community calendar." Thanks to all - every photographer that sent in a submission, everyone that took the time to vote, Josh for starting up the conversation this year, Tom for organizing and anyone else that helped Tom!

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

Aussie, runup
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 1:40 pm 
September frog has the same colors in its body as Wyatt's landscape. It's like a very small, compact edition of the September landscape. I appreciate having visual breaks from the distant mountain prospects that tend to dominate the calendar. Having photos of a few denizens that share the woods and lakes with bipedal hikers is another way of thinking about landscape. That said, thanks and congratulations to everyone who submitted photos. A veritable feast!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 1:58 pm 
Lot of people have strong opinions about the frog. It could be swapped into a different month too if people really want to keep it.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 2:19 pm 
kite wrote:
Tom wrote:
Wyatt, that's very gracious of you. I think that makes sense and we've done that in the past based on the closest races. I would propose swapping January, March and/or September which were the closest races. Second place in January had the lead for most of the voting, only to be toppled at the wire. March was also neck and neck, but similarly lost at the wire. The frog in September was heavily favored by voters in the final and was within 1 vote in the last day, just didn't have enough to pull off the upset. Up to you though. Pick 2 or 3.
It's very gracious of Wyatt, but I kind of think his September image is wonderful and might be more in keeping with the calendar.
Completely agree! The frog thing is not that impressive imo, but it's a matter of taste. I am just glad that Josh had a photo voted in, great depiction of mountains and the funny looking yellow trees.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Nancyann, awilsondc
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 3:54 pm 
I could put up 2 calendar order links if anyone has stong options about original order. Only takes a few clicks for me to swap photos but ultimately it's only relevant to those actually planning to order a calendar. Personally I think the 2 people I give calendars to every year, my mother and mother in law, will be thrilled with the out of the box choices. As my wife said while we were voting, nice but been done to death...

solohiker  Josh Journey, kite, wyattmullen
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 4:15 pm 
^ as you wish. I need 3 copies please. small format if there is a large/small option. thank you. the photos are all fabulous. up.gif bk.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
wyattmullen
Wyatt

wyattmullen
Wyatt
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 7:43 pm 
Tom wrote:
I could put up 2 calendar order links if anyone has stong options about original order. Only takes a few clicks for me to swap photos but ultimately it's only relevant to those actually planning to order a calendar. Personally I think the 2 people I give calendars to every year, my mother and mother in law, will be thrilled with the out of the box choices. As my wife said while we were voting, nice but been done to death...
I really didn't expect to cause this much chaos rotf.gif You have my photos though so do with them what you like and I'll be happy to buy any calendar that comes out of it!

Cyclopath, kite, solohiker, Chief Joseph
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:17 pm 
Thanks wyattmullen for abdicating March which got me into the calendar after years of trying. If it sticks, I'll enjoy the moment. I've never been able to figure out the calendar voting. I like hikers in the photo but not in a distracting way and most of my photos had that, but based on the choices this year, most aren't drawn to that. To each his own. I create a calendar of my photos for my daughter every year so I win 12 months + the cover that way!

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

zimmertr, Chief Joseph, Nancyann  wyattmullen, awilsondc
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:55 pm 
I happen to like the changes for March and September--and the new photos are the ones I voted for. I must say that I spent a long time hesitating between the frog (which I called toad on toadstools) and Wyatt's gorgeous depiction of fall colors. I voted for the tree in March partly because I believe a NW Hikers Calendar should have at least one hiker in it, and because the tree itself is so spectacular. A lot of hikes--especially in soggy weather--necessarily focus on the nearby features and not on distant scenery. Regardless of the changes, it's going to be one of the most spectacular NW Hikers Calendars ever!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

wyattmullen, Chief Joseph  kite
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:18 pm 
grannyhiker wrote:
I voted for the tree in March partly because I believe a NW Hikers Calendar should have at least one hiker in it, and because the tree itself is so spectacular.
So did I. I thought the Old Growth photographed well with the hiker for reference. The lighting and texture were spot on. It's generally hard to get a good photo that demonstrates the size of these big guys. Plus at one point Tom published the names of the photographers and I was excited to see puzzlr up there. ~z

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 6:47 am 
zephyr wrote:
I thought the Old Growth photographed well with the hiker for reference. The lighting and texture were spot on. It's generally hard to get a good photo that demonstrates the size of these big guys.
I agree. I think having less of the person's face in the shot might have appeased those who don't like to see people in hiking/nature photos, but I thought it was pretty good all told, and voted for it.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
I agree. I think having less of the person's face in the shot might have appeased those who don't like to see people in hiking/nature photos, but I thought it was pretty good all told, and voted for it.
Thanks. I enjoyed many of the photos with hikers, snowshoers, and skiers because it made the image look more believable and relatable to me. Especially when they are in places that are enchanting, mysterious, or require a lot of effort to achieve.
Tom wrote:
I guesstimated photo ownership by looking at wiki edit history.
Aha! Well I saw it and then it disappeared at some point. Thanks for clearing up that mystery. ~z

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 10:50 am 
Zephyr, it’s still on page four.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 11:00 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Zephyr, it’s still on page four.
Aha. There it is. dizzy.gif Thanks. Good grief. That's your cover up there. Congratulations! ~z

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 11:48 pm 
I wonder if any of the winners of calendar pages used a camera phone for their shot? Not likely but possible I would say.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.