Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Highpoint Trailhead Proposal
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 pm 
Cable Line lovers should let DNR know how much they love and use the trail. Make sure they know that there's vocal support for it not being closed. I think that it would not be cheap to "properly" close it if their justification has anything to do with stuff like erosion runoff, as putting a few sticks across the various entrances isn't going to stop continued water flowing down that trail, and I'm guessing that properly "decommissioning" that trail would likely be as involved as just investing in maintaining it as a usable trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:14 pm 
Thanks for sharing this plan puzzlr. It's indeed good to see investment going into access (including parking!!) for some close-in trails.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 5:46 pm 
I think it would require major engineering to "close" Cableline, e.g. an electrified razor wire fence extending most of the way up. But I think the engineering to create a trail up that route that meets environmental protection requirements for Salmon, amphibians, etc would be considerable. e.g. asteel reinforced concrete stairway to 1800 ft elevation. The DNR isn't going to anything like either of those t , baring some sort court order or massive expenditure by the legislature.

zimmertr, joker
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 9:31 pm 
Yeah, though covering up bits of exposed cable when they appear wouldn't be major, though not nothing either.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 11:27 pm 
DNR cant close cable line any more than they could close old si or old mailbox. That ship has sailed. The biggest benefit of this is to get rid of the "tent city 4" homeless camp.

Damian

Damian
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 pm 
Have you been to that camp and talked to the people there? I’m curious why moving the camp would be a benefit. It has existed there fine for a long time.

joker, zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 11:43 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
The biggest benefit of this is to get rid of the "tent city 4" homeless camp.
It doesn't do that, TC4 could easily setup in the parking lot areas east of the roundabout. TCs prefer to setup on the grounds of religious congregations, which by law/court decisions they can do for three month periods. However when such a favorable landing zone isn't available, places like High Point, Lake Sammamish state park and other bits of public land have been used and will be used in the future. Tent City 4 is currently at: Mary Queen of Peace Parish in Sammamish 1121 228th Ave SE

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Dec 03, 2022 11:50 pm 
Aside from the barky anti-trail runner doggo Tent City 4 has been very friendly in my experience. Absolutely no complaints here.

huron

huron
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 am 
Agree. TC4 had a dumpster, honey buckets, site management and were generally good neighbors to hikers. It was the constellation of people around it that became a problem. Presumably by staying in woods or road shoulder nearby they had access to TC4 resources but did not need to comply with rules.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 12:46 pm 
  • The tent city and residents have been moved to a new location.
  • Cable Line isn't part of this proposal.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 9:57 am 
Damian wrote:
Have you been to that camp and talked to the people there?
I could ask the same thing about the nearby inhabitants of issaquah/preston that have had to live with a homeless camp and its myriad problems for far too long.

huron

huron
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 10:27 am 
The reason Tent City is part of this conversation is that they have moved back and forth from Highpoint to the church several times but clearly prefer High Point and stay there for long periods. The project as described will displace them permanently. Like Thunderhead, I live nearby and experience the impact from this daily. After a move, the residents don't go away. They just shuffle around, so a displacement will only be another shuffle, probably to other DNR property along the I-90 corridor, all of which are troublesome. In regard to Cable Line, the linked document reads "This proposal focuses on removing approximately 9 miles of existing unsustainable nondesignated trail segments..." but does not say which trails those would be. Is Cable Line designated? The official comment period for this project is long past. If anyone knows what the public engagement process is at this point, please share.

thunderhead
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 11:07 am 
Huron wrote:
clearly prefer High Point and stay there for long periods.
High point is hardly a preferred location for Tent City , rather it is a location of last resort. Tent City admistrators and residents much prefer locations in the city close to transit, shopping and employment. High point is inconvenient for all those practical aspects of life. When Tent City 4 was hosted at my congregation there was much controversy, but is was very favorable for the residents, with record amounts of food being donated, so much that they were able to supply Tent City 3 with excess food donations. It is interesting and enlightening to talk to the TC4 residents. Not an easy life.

Logbear, neek
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 11:08 am 
Huron wrote:
but does not say which trails those would be. Is Cable Line designated?
I think(hope) cable line is safe. I think they are referring to 9 miles of trails in east tiger that i didnt even know existed. If you click on the "associated maps" bit, a few of the maps of east tiger section reference 9 miles of trails "to be removed". I cannot find any of those segments on caltopo and cannot remember ever being on them, so i suspect they are pretty insignificant. Im not completely sure these 9 miles are the same 9 miles previously referenced... but the math lines up.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 7:02 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
east tiger
East Tiger is an entirely different environment. There are numerous Mountain Bike trails constructed and maintained by various MTB organizations. They do a tremendous amount of work on these trails and IME are friendly and generous when encountered on the trails -- provided you use your brain and avoid hiking on "downhill only" where MTBs expect to traverse without having to deal with slow moving traffic of any sort. It has become one of my favored locations for taking my dog for a hike, as off leash dogs are permitted by the rules and the Mountain Bikers encountered are very friendly towards the dog. On West Tiger trails there seems to be enough folks that give stink eye to even well behaved dogs on leash that its not a great place go with my furball. Perhaps that just a numbers games there are typically 10x as many people on West Tiger than on East Tiger.