Forum Index > Trail Talk > RIP Eric Johnson (aka Cartman), peakbagger
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gblock72

Gblock72
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 1:10 pm 
iron wrote:
once in a while you could even get him to smile on the summit
What? I don't believe it. :-) The only time I saw anything close to a smile (granted we only did about 10 peaks over 2 years) is when he was eating his sandwich. I never got him to smile for a photo!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 5:55 pm 
Matt wrote:
Portals 2015
Portals 2015
It is difficult to conceive of a better eulogy for a mountaineer than this Portals image.

Kascadia, Gwen, Layback, Anne Elk, geyer, Bushwacker, Roly Poly, awilsondc, Chief Joseph, Gblock72
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 08, 2022 10:22 am 
Gblock72 wrote:
The only time I saw anything close to a smile (granted we only did about 10 peaks over 2 years) is when he was eating his sandwich.
Awesome.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
iron

iron
PostMon Jan 01, 2024 9:09 pm 
randomly came across an old video from 2011 with the man nearly defeating tom_sjolseth. i think cartman would had been able to take him were it not for the laughing in the backdrop. you can see cartman did not lose his wrist at all during this match.

Brucester, Layback
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Jan 01, 2024 11:16 pm 
That's a fun video. I met Eric one time. He was a character who fit right in with the speaker at that night's event - Reinhold Messner. The audience wanted to ask Messner about his brother's death after all these years, but Messner only wanted to talk about his search for Yeti mythology and wax nostalgic about South Tyrole. Eric was involved in some of the most interesting professional projects to take place in the last 30 years. Later we had a couple phone calls regarding linking up for the Nohokomeen Glacier, but I could tell I got a black checkmark in his scheduling mind palace on account of having kids. My dad introduced Eric to me by name that night but didn't give my name. Eric didn't ask my name. He asked, "do you have a car?" and "what grade can you lead?"

Layback
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostWed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 pm 
I first met Eric back in the early 80's through friends Bryan and Michelle while they were at the U of W. Used to hang out, play pinochle. Got married and raised kids and we all went different directions. I have followed a lot of people on NWHikers like Cartman, Megallan, Slugman, ect, but did not realize that Cartman was Eric. He was always friendly, had a smile and would help anyone who needed it. He will be missed by all who he touched in his life. Rest in Peace My Friend.

Layback