Forum Index > Trail Talk > Moose spotted in MRNP.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Dec 09, 2022 4:23 pm 
We were all sitting around in the evening quaffing beers at Many Glaciers Campground in Glacier NP, when a terrified moose calf came careening through camp. I was like wha? Then I looked over and fellow NWHikers member Androgenoustreefrog and his wife were sprinting for the nearby woods. Close behind the calf came the cow moose. At that point the rest of us realized, um, maybe we should get out of there. The ATF and his wife lived in Yellowknife and were much more familiar with moose... hairy.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 09, 2022 4:54 pm 
If you have ever seen a Bull Moose up close and personal you should be afraid they are huge. Even more so if you have seen one run, as they say in Maine they are wicked fast.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 09, 2022 5:21 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
If you have ever seen a Bull Moose up close and personal you should be afraid they are huge. Even more so if you have seen one run, as they say in Maine they are wicked fast.
I saw one across a river deep in rural Colorado. I swear it was 20' tall. Blew my then-Midwestern mind.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 09, 2022 9:38 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
]If you have ever seen a Bull Moose up close and personal you should be afraid they are huge. Even more so if you have seen one run, as they say in Maine they are wicked fast.
My daughter and I were hiking to the ancient cedar grove-granite falls trail north of Priest lake about 20 years ago, came around a corner and all I saw was legs about 15' from us. I thought to myself "Why is there someone on a horse on this trail?'. Then looked up and it was a huge bull moose....I let out a blood curdling yell and that boy was out and I mean fast. I don't need a firearm, I have the pipes!
Sculpin wrote:
]We were all sitting around in the evening quaffing beers at Many Glaciers Campground in Glacier NP, when a terrified moose calf came careening through camp....
I thought that your story would continue with, a 200 pound cougar right behind it...or maybe it was behind the mama?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

SpookyKite89
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 pm 
A Møøse once bit my sister...

piscator
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 10:27 pm 
"Previously, the farthest southwest a moose was seen in Washington state was near Stevens Pass in 2009, according to the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). I suppose more folks should report sightings. I agree with a previous comment. Moose in Mt Rainier probably there longer than most people assume. Lake CleElum is due south of Stevens Pass. Moose sighted crossing the CleElum River. Moose sighted swimming Lake CleElum I have a moose on Trailcam just east of CleElum.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

zimmertr
NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 11:18 pm 
Saw a moose cross the road 400 feet ahead of us in Mazama a few years ago. Also that same year saw moose tracks near Remmel Lake. Now that I'm in Montana I see a few moose a month. I heard moose in alaska and northern canada make the lower 48 state moose look like deer in size.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Dec 11, 2022 11:31 am 
backpacker92out wrote:
I heard moose in alaska and northern canada make the lower 48 state moose look like deer in size.
The Alaskan / Yukon Moose is much more impressive ( body mass / antlers ) than our Shiras Moose

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Dec 11, 2022 1:57 pm 
My moose's story was in Montana..bitterroot mtns.. Big momma and her calf were hanging out at the far end of lake for a day or 2 She put her calf Ina draw and was feeding around the lake on milkweeds..by herself I told leaddoggie to follow me, we crept down the trail and we're about 7tft.from a huge 20ft.high Boulder...I whisper she should be just the other side of the rock.. We climbed up the Rock and peered over to see her head 6ft.away and her huge ears pointing at us ..wow... Bill said we should stay on the rock...I was like yeah watch this.. Got down..whistled at her and she came strolling around the rock...perfect body language..very curious... I squatted down and she walked right up to me... Billie said your crazy and she looked at him...I was sushh! Watch and learn... Frickin 7ft.at the shoulder...she took another step and bent down to sniff me....I said it's bad luck to kill a gnome... Satisfied she turned and took a few steps away... Super nice girl... I should mention the day before I crawled around the shoreline but she had her calf...I was wearing black mosquito net jacket.. Got within a city block In a grassy area..she noticed and was having none of it..so I stretched out, laid down...she thought I was a bear...so I whistled at her a bit and low crawled away...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 11, 2022 2:32 pm 
Cool story there Rocky the Gnome Squirrel. dizzy.gif Wildlife should be viewed from a distance, it's not a petting zoo out there, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 10:17 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
+1, similar experience on Isle Royale.
Same experience on Isle Royale as well.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 5:25 pm 
I opened my bedroom curtain one morning this spring in Idaho and a moose was looking in. I think it was admiring its reflection in the window.

Pyrites  Walkin' Fool, SpookyKite89
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Dec 17, 2022 9:34 pm 
I can't help thinking that Indian Heaven would be perfect moose habitat.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 18, 2022 4:36 pm 
There’s no real predator for her. Moose will certainly live in deeper snow than elk. If she gets lonely will she head back north in late spring. In meantime I’d not be surprised to see her at Packwood, Kapowsin, Eatonville or Ohop valley. The question is does anyone see her as locker worthy.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Dec 20, 2022 8:06 pm 
I once saw an adolescent moose swim across the Palouse river at approximately 1.5 miles upriver from the confluence with the Snake River - close to Lyons Ferry Park. It was 4th of July weekend and many others saw it too, we had 3 ski-boats of friends watching. A member of our group is a local wheat farmer whose place backs up to Palouse Falls. He said locals have seen moose in the Snake River breaks from time to time.