Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kelcema Lake and lost dog on MLH-update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:32 am 
Really fun day snowshoeing to Kelcema lake. It took us 3.5 hours to reach the lake due to really deep snow. It was a winter wonderland with whipped cream snow features. By the time we were descending back to the car a couple of jeeps had driven up almost to the TH. So we were able to boot it down in their tire trenches reaching our car at 4:30. There were only a handful of vehicles and almost everyone was back to their vehicles. There was an Australian shepherd running back and forth between vehicles, no collar, and no owner. Several people and myself tried to catch it but it was too skittish. A USFS agent was there too so he is going to contact Snohomish Animal Control today but the dog likely spent the night out. There is a Snohomish Lost Pets Facebook page and I saw that someone posted that their Australian shepherd dog got loose from an Arlington address but it’s unlikely to be the same dog given the distance. Hope there is a good ending!

Josh Journey, Nancyann
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:36 am 
I hope the dog/owner are reunited. The photos of the missing dog reported in Arlington and the one you(?) took don't really look like the same dog though. The mask is a fairly different shape between the two photos, mainly on the underside of both eyes.

Knows literally nothing
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:50 am 
GeoTom, you are correct. The Arlington owner confirmed it’s not her dog.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 11:30 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
people and myself tried to catch it but it was too skittish
A stray dog will rarely approach a person who is standing. It is a PITA but the best way to get a stray dog to be near you is to lie on your back. In dog-language that means you do not pose a threat. I have helped return a half-dozen dogs to their homes using that technique.

Anne Elk, ALW Hiker, solohiker, fourteen410, RichP, Chief Joseph, Roly Poly, zimmertr, Randito
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 1:29 pm 
Update: Neither law enforcement, forest service or animal control has picked up this dog due to “lack of resources”.

HikingBex
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 2:22 pm 
It might be useful to post the information/picture on WTA also. If you return, don't make eye contact and don't face "head on". Do you have access to a very mellow/low reactive dog that won't bark, etc.? It sounds like a dog is already panicky/frightened and for good reason. Maybe a can of dog food would be better than hot dogs if it's the only meal it might have for a while wink.gif You're very kind to make the trip.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 3:08 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
Update: Neither law enforcement, forest service or animal control has picked up this dog due to “lack of resources”.
That is unfortunate, our tax dollars <not> at work, previously they used Covid as an excuse. rolleyes.gif Last summer we had a large, stray tomcat coming into our cat door seeking food and battling with our cats, my petite older male nearly died. I called several agencies with absolutely no luck. I finally borrowed a trap from a neighbor and was able to secure the cat. Called the Everett Shelter...."No, you can't bring him here, we are full"....posted an ad on Social Media and found the owners or at least some people that claimed to be and solved that problem. Seemed weird because the alleged owner would not meet me at IGA or allow me to bring the cat to her but sent some friends who then send her a pic and she said it was hers. Not sure how it came to be in Verlot from Granite falls, but I was just glad to get rid of my problem.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 3:15 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Seemed weird because the alleged owner would not meet me at IGA or allow me to bring the cat to her but sent some friends who then send her a pic and she said it was hers. Not sure how it came to be in Verlot from Granite falls, but I was just glad to get rid of my problem.
Sorry for the gruesomeness, but be aware: "Officials said dog fighters looking for bait animals often search the web, classifieds such as Craigslist and other social media sites for pets that people are giving away." They use dogs, cats, even rabbits.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 4:01 pm 
Here's some more gruesomeness, some people look for free pets to feed to their snakes.. huh.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Kascadia
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 7:30 pm 
Update: I drove out there and there are two dogs! They will not let anyone close. I fed them. I’m really tired. Long drive. Trying to get some acepromaziine from vet so they can be sedated and caught. Did this once before in a similar situation. But then what? I’m a foster home already for two big dogs and can’t take any more dogs. I also heard today that maybe they were left behind when someone was evicted from Silverton. It’s not good. They can get hit by a car or killed by a cougar. Not to mention the brutally cold temperatures coming. Today they had a cold rain.

ALW Hiker, GaliWalker  kitya
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 7:45 pm 
Many paws up for you driving back out there. Too bad you weren't able to bring them to warmth and safety. Are you planning on going back tomorrow?

Knows literally nothing
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:02 pm 
Those are beautiful dogs. As the owner of an Aussie mix this makes me so sad. They look like they were well cared for before getting lost/being abandoned. Are they hanging out at the Deer Creek trailhead or somewhere else along the road? Compass Point Rescue or Australian Shepherds Furever may be able to help if someone is able to successfully retrieve them. I hate to think that anyone would take a dog for nefarious purposes, but I know it happens. I often think us humans don't deserve dogs.

HikingBex
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:55 pm 
Thank you for being such a good human & caring about these dogs. It hurts my heart to see these guys scared & out in the cold by themselves - I wish I could take them in but my Aussie mix demands to be the only dog in our house. Really hoping there's a happy ending here frown.gif

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 11:29 pm 
If the dogs are abandoned, the first priority is to catch them. They will definitely not survive for long otherwise. If they are interested in food, it might be easy to catch them using a live trap. Once the dogs are trapped, I would call PAWS companion animal shelter and ask for advice. https://www.paws.org/ Yes, all animal rescues are ALWAYS overbooked and overworked, this is totally normal. But they will not turn dogs away in an emergency. PAWS will either take the dogs after you explain the situation or help refer to someone who can take them.

SpookyKite89
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 3:00 pm 
Any updates on these dogs? They've been on my mind.