Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 4:55 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
As to the dog on Deer creek road, the nearest residences are at Silverton and there are a few year around residents, but I would think it unlikely that they would let their dogs run up and down the highway. So the owners were found, where did they live?
My information says they were found at home "close to Silverton". All the homes in Silverton seem to be within 1-1.5 miles of Deer Creek Road. Maybe a few more about 2 miles away.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 7:52 pm 
A private message I just received from RolyPoly "Quote message So funny reading your posts as I sit here looking at adoption applications for my two indoor foster dogs. I’ll definitely not be adopting them to rural hillbillies.😂🤣"

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 8:40 pm 
I grew up rural. We had a doggy door and ours roamed our 10 acres every day and returned every night. Never knew any dogs who roamed miles. Definitely never thought dog houses/outdoor-only dogs were appropriate. The story about grandpa tossing the cat outside is animal abuse. Just like these two animals were (are) abused. And dogs definitely do not belong in the bed of a moving truck for the same reason.

Flickr | Strava

Anne Elk, Roly Poly, fourteen410
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 8:58 pm 
There's a difference between Lassie running through summer fields of daisies and two disheveled dogs running along a state highway in the winter. A responsible dog owner does not leave their dog roaming a high traffic area in cold weather for multiple days. People were right to be concerned in this situation.

SpookyKite89, Roly Poly, kitya
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 10:08 pm 
Haha, so much for “private messages”. No, I won’t be adopting out my foster dogs to anyone who keeps outside dogs. And since I live rural on 8 acres on a somewhat busy road, BPGs attempt to start a culture war is all the more comical. This is my rural foster dog. On the couch. Not running on the highway in the middle of the night. ❤️

kiliki  Anne Elk
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 11:13 pm 
FWIW: In terms of state law -- it seems that it is assumed that dog are in general "at large" -- otherwise why would there be laws specifying liability to the owner for damage done to livestock by dogs or making it legal for a livestock owner to kill dogs if they are attacking livestock? https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=16.08&full=true Unless the dog is a "dangerous dog" -- in which case the dog needs to be secured behind a fence or mussled and chained. https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=16.08&full=true#16.08.090 In King County dogs are permitted to "be at large" -- unless they reside in a "Dog Control Zone" -- but any Incorporated area is a "dog control zone" as well as many areas with "subdivisions" https://kingcounty.gov/council/legislation/kc_code/14_Title_11.aspx

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Dec 15, 2022 12:23 am 
In unincorporated KC (where I live on a farm = rural), it is not OK for a dog to roam freely off the owner's property. A dog running "at large" anywhere in the county falls under the definition of "nuisance" (Title 11/Animal Care and Control). Neither animal control, or LED is going to do anything about a loose dog on their own initiative (in general), but you simply have to complain about a free roaming dog on your property (=trespassing/nuisance) to KC/animal control for intervention. And if you've got pics, all the better. If a dog is running loose on the road (creating a hazard), the same applies.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Dec 17, 2022 8:43 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
BPGs attempt to start a culture war is all the more comical.
Nah. Just calling you out. You sent me a private message because you know your comment was hateful and you didn't want the rest of this forum to see your true colors Who's trying to start a culture war? Take some responsibility for what you sent me in a private message Better yet, why not just apologize "Hillbilly" "Often used as an insult and racial slur against White folks who live in the country. A hillbilly is a person who lives in a remote, rural area" "Hillbilly is a term (often derogatory) for people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas in the United States" "HILLBILLY COUNTABLE NOUN" If you refer to someone as a hillbilly, you are saying in a fairly rude way that you think they are uneducated and stupid because they come from the countryside" "hillbilly" noun "often disparaging and offensive"

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 17, 2022 9:31 pm 
I am a Hillbilly and damn proud of it. When I play online poker my username is Goathillbilly, greatest of all time hillbilly, lol. Words are just words, it's always amazed me how people can be offended by one word but not another even if they mean exactly the same thing, one just sounds worse.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 1:48 pm 
Now now Little Boyz n girlz.. don't make gnomie spank you..though I do have 2 hands..oops sorry that's gay gnome ....

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 5:16 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
This is very common practice for dog owners who live in rural areas. This is what country dogs do.
It's more accurate to say that's what owners of country dogs do. They surely have shorter lives and suffer more, i.e., they're not wolves. Kinda makes me wonder why they own them. The only person I knew who kept a dog outside was one who had the dog to do a job - watch his flock of sheep and a couple alpacas. It was one of those heavy-coated Great Pyrenees dogs.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Roly Poly
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 28, 2022 5:47 pm 
So now it seems to be my turn, when I arrived here in Idaho a week or so ago I noticed canine tracks leading up to my door from the driveway. Pretty sure it wasn't a wolf and then today saw a large dog wearing an orange vest out on the road in front of my driveway. Up until 2 years ago we did not have any neighbors with about a half mile, then the previous owners grandson and family moved onto the property, built a house, etc... with dogs, with noise, argh! I asked him last year about some large dog tracks and he said his was a smaller dog. Then last fall I was driving up the road and there was a little dog on the road and no one around. Tried to get him into the truck to no avail, then he ran up the road and into my new neighbors driveway. I asked him later if that was his dog and he said no. Weird dog ramblings around here, bad enough for my inside-outside cat to have to worry about wild animals, now loose dogs, but I go outside with him here. Rant about neighbors and loose dogs over..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
solohiker

solohiker
PostWed Dec 28, 2022 10:48 pm 
Your inside-outside cat shouldn’t have any trouble with neighbor’s dogs. Cats of almost any kind have it all over domestic dogs. Even in the wild a cougar beats a fox for sure and probably even a wolf. Only place a cougar succumbs to a Dawg is on a football field.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

Roly Poly, Chief Joseph
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 7:54 am 
Here is an update about those two MLH dogs. Saving Great Animals went out to catch them, found them on a porch and we thought all was well. They went out again the day after and found them running on the MLH again. Here’s the Facebook link to the outcome. https://www.facebook.com/102972989743662/posts/pfbid02NApVwLTmJjqLbEgg2K3idSumaNthxX95R7UCkpiD8SrYk11eaY5Rn4zsxjMaAJVjl/?mibextid=cr9u03

kiliki, ALW Hiker, Kascadia, HikingBex, Chief Joseph, fourteen410
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 9:54 am 
Thanks for the update. I didn't see the dogs available on the Everett shelter page and they were rescued a few weeks ago, so maybe someone adopted them?