Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Off Grid Toughness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Dec 16, 2022 9:52 am 
Sculpin....you are naive I hate to say. I DO judge people for their skill sets. And have zero issue saying that out loud. One group wants to be self sufficient if they can, and never quits learning - they will help others like them with learning. The other group just uses up everyone's energy. It's that simple. I taught around 200 people how to grow food last year in a committed rural group/intentional community I am in. Of that 200 or so people, maybe 10 were really into it. So I shifted my energy to them (as did the other agriculture leaders) and we focused on those who wanted to truly learn. I am not running a commune, nor do I believe in hippy good time vibes. I'll teach you how to plant seeds and grow them, how to raise chickens, how to can and preserve food - but if you expect me to do 99% of the work, we are done. When it comes to survival, it is the way.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Dec 16, 2022 10:47 am 
sarbar wrote:
how to plant seeds and grow them, how to raise chickens, how to can and preserve food - but if you expect me to do 99% of the work, we are done
There are a lot of inferences required in your story, just want to make sure I am connecting the dots the way you intended. So just to be clear, you got 200 people from a "committed intentional community" to somehow participate in a training class about growing food, but to your dismay 190 of those people expected you to "do 99% of the work" in raising their food. And that proves the general uselessness of 95% of the people out there. Did I summarize your story properly?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Dec 16, 2022 11:00 am 
The majority of people are used to everything being done for them, and hard work hurts. Yeah, that sums it up. Even people who think they have skills are still lazy. It's human nature. It's also human nature to seek out people who will do the work. Why work hard if you can throw money at it? That is a city attitude. You pay for a plumber, electrician, lawn care, day care, high grocery store prices. When I lived in town I'd see people paying for people to replace light bulbs. Kind of like hiking. Do you want to hike with people who expect you to provide the gear, then complain 3 miles in they are done? And then lay in camp expecting you to cook, clean and set up the tent? (Yeah, I have met those people far too often as well). I've been told far too often I am mean, cruel, etc because I speak up and say the truth. If you fancy living a rural life, you best get skills - and get living. Figure out who near you is like you, and build alliances (or a friendship, whatever) with them. The rest are not worth your time. Or maybe that's prepper talk. But at the end of the day, my name isn't comrade, and the work you didn't do, that's a you problem. No one is obligated to rescue others from bad planning. I'll continue to teach people skills, but I also won't feel like I owe anyone anything.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 16, 2022 1:32 pm 
It would appear that winter NWhikers has arrived

Flickr | Strava

Carbonj, graywolf
graywolf

graywolf