Forum Index > Gear Talk > phone recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sticky buns

sticky buns
PostSun Dec 18, 2022 11:30 pm 
What are your phone recommendations, both specific brands and models and also priority qualities for use in the mountains? Here are my current ideal qualities: Memory -- enough for all the regular apps (mapping, plant/animal/star/peak ID, etc.) for the phone's lifetime Lifetime -- At least as long as the security updates. Battery life -- running a GPS track and taking a lot of photos Camera -- see below Water resistance -- Is there a difference between 67 and 68 ratings in your experience? Size and weight -- Something that fits in my pack hip pocket. Price -- $700 or under?? I currently have a Sony RX100 I that I use a lot -- regular photos, different aperture settings, long exposures for night-time and water, macros, optical zoom (though I've never been fully happy with the latter two). I'm presuming that a new phone would replace my desire for a camera, but I'd appreciate input on that, specifically for the traits I mentioned. My current phone is a Samsung S5, so anything new will be an improvement!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 18, 2022 11:41 pm 
Pixel 7 or 7 Pro, hands down. You can get them for $400 off from Xfinity wireless assuming you have Xfinity home internet. Their wireless plans are extremely competitive and service is on the Verizon network. Highly recommended. We switched last month and only paying $30 a month for three lines on a shared 3GB plan as we are not heavy data users. Mint mobile has a better deal on the 7 Pro if you are okay with throttled T-Mobile service sans roaming. https://slickdeals.net/f/16161328-mint-mobile-128gb-google-pixel-7-pro-unlocked-smartphone-12-month-4gb-plan-589-w-port-in-free-s-h Battery life on any phone is going to be a challenge taking lots of photos. Plan on carrying a power bank.

huron

huron
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 3:41 pm 
Former RX100 user which was useful for zoom. Now I have the Pixel 7 Pro and don't like it for many reasons. Photos are over processed and look much worse than reviews show particularly in low light or in-between zoom settings where they are composited. Endless Google nagging. Have to turn everything off to get decent battery life. Harder than expected to customize UI vs Samsung. The RAW files don't help much either. I do like the ultra wide, close-up and astro features, but if buying again I would get the Samsung S22 Ultra for its longer true zoom and I now believe better photo quality. Samsung usually gets new models early in the year so you might consider waiting for January to decide.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 4:49 pm 
What nagging? As far as zoom, I agree it would be nice to have something between 1x and 5x on the 7 Pro. I thought the 4x on the 6 Pro was more sensible. But wouldn't you have the same issue on the S22 ultra between 3x and 10x? Not to mention the 3x sensor on the S22 is only 10 MP so it's not going to be that great zooming beyond 4x or 5x until you hit 10x. Photos are a tad over processed relative to my Pixel 3 but overall I'd say the processing is much better, especially if you just want a point and shoot and prefer not to tinker.
Quick snap out the window a few weeks ago
Quick snap out the window a few weeks ago
Interface is a personal choice. I don't have issues with the stock android experience offered by Google sans bloatware. I have a Samsung tablet and it does some things better like split screen but found some of their their menus annoying and turned them off. Google speech to text is far superior. Nothing but frustration when I try speech to text on my Samsung tablet.

huron

huron
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 5:19 pm 
Nagging: there's a very long list that I won't torture everyone with but the short story is that whenever I grab the phone to do something quickly (I want to take a photo right now, or have something to remember and write down), the phone presents me with a nag screen that I have to read, process and figure out how to answer without it doing something I don't want. It's usually a reminder that I have something like the assistant turned off and that my life would be so much easier if I just flipped that switch back. Then the only thing go click is "got it". Bastards. Then randomly I find they have turned things back in a few days despite my diligence. Maybe you keep it all the way Google wants you to run it, but I don't. I'm not their best customer. Gave up on the Google launcher and happily run Nova. Then I found the line of Simple apps (gallery, music player, flashlight, etc.) and have installed all those and disabled the Google equivalents where possible. Battery life is now much better and I cuss a lot less.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 5:32 pm 
How are the Pixel phones with moisture vs Samsung? That's the primary reason I switched to a Samsung phone.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 5:33 pm 
FWIW: I'm pretty happy with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ , so much so that when I lost the prior one a year ago, I ordered an "Amazon Renewed" flavor of the same phone. The additional features and camera performance of more recent models wasn't worth spending over $500 more for a new current generation phone over a used, but with new battery phone at least for me. I worked in the tech industry so I'm not against improvements in technology, I'm just aware that not all "new features" are necessary. My wife has been very happy with the camera in her iPhone 12 Pro. I occasionally regret getting that for her on her birthday as the performance of the camera is so good that hikes and bike rides we make together have slowed due to increased time taking photos.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 5:42 pm 
I don't experience any nagging, but did say no when asked if I wanted tips, etc. when setting up the phone. To take a picture just double click the power button. Give it a try, although if you've installed the different launcher that shortcut may not be enabled. Personally I love the 7 Pro, something I couldn't say about the 6 Pro which sat in my drawer for most of the year. As far as battery life, if that really matters, I'd get an iPhone. I don't think the Samsung S22 is much better in terms of battery life. My battery life is just fine but I don't have face unlock enabled. Guessing that's a huge battery drain.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 5:50 pm 
Schroder wrote:
How are the Pixel phones with moisture vs Samsung? That's the primary reason I switched to a Samsung phone.
The flagship versions of the pixels are waterproof. I dunked my 6 Pro in Upper Rampart while filtering water and it survived just fine. The budget versions of the pixels like the 6a are not waterproof.

huron

huron
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 5:50 pm 
I've had the Pixel 7 Pro for just a few days and took some test shots in a variety of conditions. Here's the normal forward facing camera (they say 50 megapixel but it's really 12 just like my Samsung was). Orange is over saturated.
Here is the 10x zoom (5x tele plus 2x digital). Over sharpened.
The one I like the most is super-wide. It does not do video in that mode. Again, too much sharpening and contrast.
And here's the astro mode in a not ideal test from the front balcony (too much foreground light). Not too bad for a phone. It's all auto so not much you can do to tweak.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 6:08 pm 
Those photos look fine to me. In terms of the saturation, probably less aggressive than the latest iPhone or Samsung phone. Also, if images look oversaturated on your phone, be sure to set colors to natural. That's one of the first things I do in settings.
The Pixel 7 Pro's main camera sensor is 50 megapixels binned down to 12 megapixels which should produce a better result than a smaller 12 megapixel sensor. https://www.androidpolice.com/what-is-pixel-binning/ Better to focus on sensor sizes. Note the telephoto sensor on the 7 Pro is roughly (3.52/2.55)^2 - 1 = 90% larger than the telephoto sensor(s) on the S22 Ultra. Google Pixel 7 Pro: https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-7-pro-camera-test/ Ultra-wide: 12MP 1/2.86" sensor Primary: 50 MP 1/1.31" sensor 5x zoom: 48MP 1/2.55" sensor Samsung S22 Ultra: https://www.dxomark.com/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra-exynos-camera-test/ Ultra-wide: 12MP 1/2.55″ sensor Primary: 108 MP 1/1.33″ sensor 3x zoom: 10MP 1/3.52″ sensor 10x zoom: 10MP 1/3.52″ sensor

sticky buns

sticky buns
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 9:30 pm 
Thanks, all! I'm not sure I'm closer to a decision, but I appreciate the input and tips!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 9:47 pm 
Seriously, get the 7 Pro deal from Mint Mobile before it goes away: https://slickdeals.net/f/16161328-mint-mobile-128gb-google-pixel-7-pro-unlocked-smartphone-12-month-4gb-plan-589-w-port-in-free-s-h Even if you have to buy a phone number on ebay for ~$5 to port in to get the deal (not sure you do, I think that's only to get an extra 6 months service), worst case give away the phone number and SIM with 1 year of mint service to someone else, you get an unlocked phone for $589 that you can use on your current carrier without any commitment. Trust me there is NO other phone within your budget (under $700) that will come close to the 7 Pro. Best case you get a phone without any optical zoom and inferior camera quality to the primary lens on the 7 Pro. Oh, and forgetting about the camera, the phone itself is fantastic. It's a larger screen but you will adapt quickly.

neek

neek
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 10:14 pm 
Huron wrote:
Former RX100 user which was useful for zoom. Now I have the Pixel 7 Pro and don't like it for many reasons. Photos are over processed and look much worse than reviews show particularly in low light or in-between zoom settings where they are composited. Endless Google nagging. Have to turn everything off to get decent battery life. Harder than expected to customize UI vs Samsung. The RAW files don't help much either. I do like the ultra wide, close-up and astro features, but if buying again I would get the Samsung S22 Ultra for its longer true zoom and I now believe better photo quality. Samsung usually gets new models early in the year so you might consider waiting for January to decide.
I have a 7 Pro and agree with all of this. Photos are way over processed and you can't even turn off HDR. Tom is right the voice recognition is really good. I would get a cheap phone like the 6a and stick with a real camera.

graywolf
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 10:40 pm 
Well, it's android so you have options if you want more control: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/ BOOM!

neek