Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Buying firewood off Craigslist.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 12:03 am 
It's CHAINS REQUARED when going to get large amounts of wood!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 6:23 am 
I am without a truck AFM so I have been using my Toyo Celica hatchback, back seats down and I can get about 1/3 cord in there. It's not a total POS so I put a tarp down under the wood.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 8:05 am 
I watched Jordan's video. That's quite a technique. For many years I also swung a splitting maul to make small wood out of big wood. But as the years ticked by there came a time when I decided that if we were going to continue burning wood then the splitting task needed to be less work. And so here is how I do my splitting now:

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 8:45 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am without a truck AFM so I have been using my Toyo Celica hatchback, back seats down and I can get about 1/3 cord in there. It's not a total POS so I put a tarp down under the wood.
I used to haul wood with a chevy avalanche. The divider between the bed and cab folds down and could fold the seat down to make it a full 8ft bed. You could really load that thing up. Of course the downside was the spiders that would crawl out of wherever and into your peripheral vision on your shoulder.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 8:46 am 
Joey wrote:
I watched Jordan's video. That's quite a technique. For many years I also swung a splitting maul to make small wood out of big wood. But as the years ticked by there came a time when I decided that if we were going to continue burning wood then the splitting task needed to be less work. And so here is how I do my splitting now:
Yep. That will be me soon enough.

none
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 5:20 pm 
Old growth tamarack rounds, HUGE, but split easily and burns slow and hot, a lot like coal with very little creosote build up. I paid $250 for the cord, delivered. I would say that the round with the cooler is nearly 48" in diameter.
Cooler pictured is a Playmate 6 packer

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 8:07 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Old growth tamarack rounds, HUGE, but split easily and burns slow and hot, a lot like coal with very little creosote build up. I paid $250 for the cord, delivered. I would say that the round with the cooler is nearly 48" in diameter.
Cooler pictured is a Playmate 6 packer
That's a good price even if it is in rounds. They look seasoned. Sure would like to swing my axe on those.

none
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 9:10 pm 
Seasoned for many years. I was splitting some today easily with just a regular ax. They are from a grove south of Priest Lake that I have not seen but know the general area. They were burnt in a fire many years ago, dead standing and no bark at all. I have never seen a Tamarack even half that size. The guy I buy it from say's that it is petrified wood, not sure but I know it's the best firewood I have ever had by far. I am kicking myself for not buying more. I have a few dead standing trees on my property that I will likely be harvesting this winter.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 9:14 pm 
The cat likes it as well.
Funny how he stretches out to get warm and balls up to keep warm.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 10:34 pm 
Perfect time for it. I finally have a reason to burn my premium wood.

none
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 21, 2022 11:32 pm 
Yes, just a bit below zero here so have the stove burning hot. Next week when it's near 40 I am going to do gas and electric to save on firewood. Plus the humidity here is very low, around 30 now and gets lower and of course a wood stove makes it drier.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 8:20 am 
I've been watching some of this guy's channel on YouTube. Never thought watching people cut firewood would be so entertaining but we are in the throes of winter. https://www.youtube.com/@mountainlifewithdavidkelsie/videos

Chief Joseph
Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 11:23 am 
I've bought Apple wood from the people that advertise "seasoned fruit wood" on Craigslist Seattle several times. Their phone number is 1 (509) 901-9742. I've been fairly satisfied. I have several 1/4 cord racks, and have always ended up with a little more wood than I ordered. On the other hand, on one occasion the wood wasn't as seasoned as I would have liked. However, that's why I have several racks and burn the wood first-in first-out. Overall, I'd give them a B and recommend them--just be sure to be clear about the size of the pieces you want (they usually ask) and emphasize that you want well seasoned firewood. ETA - My brother-in-law and I split the cost of a "prosumer" Husky chainsaw many years ago, but I don't recall the model number. He uses it more than me (and also does most of the maintenance) but it's still going stront, and neither of us has any regrets.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 6:42 pm 
Dante wrote:
I've bought Apple wood from the people that advertise "seasoned fruit wood" on Craigslist Seattle several times. Their phone number is 1 (509) 901-9742. I've been fairly satisfied. I have several 1/4 cord racks, and have always ended up with a little more wood than I ordered. On the other hand, on one occasion the wood wasn't as seasoned as I would have liked. However, that's why I have several racks and burn the wood first-in first-out. Overall, I'd give them a B and recommend them--just be sure to be clear about the size of the pieces you want (they usually ask) and emphasize that you want well seasoned firewood. ETA - My brother-in-law and I split the cost of a "prosumer" Husky chainsaw many years ago, but I don't recall the model number. He uses it more than me (and also does most of the maintenance) but it's still going stront, and neither of us has any regrets.
I almost bought wood from them but I guess I asked too many questions because they stopped responding to me. Saw some hollow rounds in the picture and asked about bug damage, they stopped replying. It's not a bad price for apple. Much bug damaged wood?

none
Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 10:21 pm 
I get a little crappy wood in each delivery--probably not more than 10 pieces per cord. It's typically ugly, but burnable. Since the wood is from orchards it's pretty knotty and sometimes splintered when split. Not a lot of bug damaged or rotten wood though.