Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snow and Very Cold likely (this time)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 10:34 am 
kiliki wrote:
I can't remember ever having a storm quite like this, in Seattle at least.
Cliff Mass says worst ice storm in Seattle since 1996.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 11:01 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
Well I’ve spent the night in my car with all my dogs. A huge tree fell on my house and took out part of the roof. And the winds are still raging. No power either.
So sorry to hear this! Glad to hear you and your pups are ok. Have you contacted your insurance? Construction contractors on-call to "temp" structures to minimize damage. Weather permitting that is.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 11:02 am 
I am guessing it was the 1996 ice storm I am remembering in which the ice was immediately followed by a long cold snap. So we had layers of clear ice over everything for a long time. It was beautiful in the sunshine but every once in awhile you could hear a loud crack from a branch that broke. I think that was the year we lost power for almost a week. I hope this crisis is as short as predicted and the damage is limited.

runup
gb

gb
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 11:11 am 
It is common to have ice storms through the passes and pass approaches because east flow comes through as warm air overrides. Seattle, it is rare to get much FR because typically as warm air arrives aloft, it is accompanied by flow from the ocean at the surface which scours out the cold air. So just rain. My favorite memory of freezing rain was at Stevens Pass in the late 90's. The day before we backcountry skied in really great powder.The day following, I taught an avalanche course on Skyline Ridge. The surface was all convoluted. Rain had apparently began as light freezing rain which created an impermeable crust. In heavy rain that day, there were puddles to 4-5" deep still on the surface supported by the thick crust. The skiing was not too good....

Chief Joseph
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 12:27 pm 
Here is what my house looks like after a tree fell on it last night. It sounded like a power line exploded so I was shocked to discover it was a big tree that fell. I was lucky in the sense it only clipped the corner of the roof and that we were not hurt. The winds were ferocious last night. They are still raging. Also my garbage cans survived and the windows and front door.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 12:39 pm 
I just took a walk around Capitol Hill with micro spikes. About 1/4" of ice on everything. A few people are braving the roads including somebody I talked to who was about to drive down a steep side street. She said "I'm from Massachusetts" as if that would make her immune to sliding out of control. I think she decided to put on chains after thinking about it but I didn't stick around to watch. Looks like you got by without a major disaster there, RP.

hikerbiker
rossb

rossb
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 12:46 pm 
@Rich -- If you are going down Capitol Hill, an ice ace could come in handy. biggrin.gif

Bramble_Scramble, zimmertr  Chief Joseph
philfort

philfort
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 12:48 pm 
Just took a walk around capitol hill (after going back inside and getting my microspikes), and within 10 minutes saw someone confidently turn their (unchained) car down a steep side street and promptly lose control and take out a parked car. And the ambulance sirens are pretty much non-stop.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 12:58 pm 
altasnob wrote:
kiliki wrote:
I can't remember ever having a storm quite like this, in Seattle at least.
Cliff Mass says worst ice storm in Seattle since 1996.
I didn't remember an ice storm in Seattle in 1996 but a quick Google shows the freezing rain hit mostly south while the city got snow. I definitely remember the storm of 1990 as I got stuck at a boyfriend's house for 5 days and that relationship was kind of on the rocks so it sucked. I remember 1985 too as my mom refused to heed the weather warnings and insisted I get on that Metro bus to my high school in Bellevue. Hilarity did not ensue as I had worn penny loafers with no socks and no grip on the soles and had to walk a very long way home because school was cancelled as soon as I got there. This is all why I go nowhere when it snows. Maybe someone already linked it but the Times had a great article about people's memories of various storms and most were about 1990. Someone had a Metro to school/penny loafers story like mine but worse.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 1:21 pm 
RP, wow that's a large tree!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 2:29 pm 
Bah, humbug!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 3:12 pm 
Roly Poly - wow and good luck getting that covered and getting back into a warm dry house. Latest Alpental telemetry shows 6F at bottom and 31F at top. Same an hour ago, but at 1 it was 2F at mid mountain and now it's 6 - same as at the base. The warm air is slowly eroding its way down.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 3:25 pm 
I cleared our driveway a couple days ago and we have been getting in and out without problem. But I think that actually made things worse for today since now we have 1/2" of smooth ice instead of crunchy snow to allow some grip. I just watched a couple of walkers crawl over the sidewalk past our driveway (I think I better throw some de-icer out there). Roly Poly - Glad to hear no one was hurt and best of luck getting back to normal.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 3:42 pm 
I was about ready to go out and pick up the holiday ham. Took one step out the back door to see how bad it was and it's still a skating rink. I guess I'll be picking up the ham tomorrow.

joker
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 4:31 pm 
Seems I left WWa just in time (last Thursday) about 3' of powder here at PL, with a 6" ice layer on the bottom. Supposed to be near 40 here next week. Either too cold or too warm, I wish Mother Nature would figure it out. suuure.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.