Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What temperature do you let the water drip from your interior faucets?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 2:52 pm 
My house is insulated and the pipes are too. I keep covers on the outside faucets. At what temperature do you let the water run from the faucets. I usually try to let the cold water stream as low as possible--maybe pencil diameter. If it's really cold, I open the cupboards beneath the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I do this when it gets around 20 degrees F. or below. Just curious as to what others do in this regard. This would be in a power on scenario. If I have lost power I would do this until it warmed up a bit. Right now the temps in my area are just above freezing so I am going to turn the water faucet off. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 3:10 pm 
I could be wrong, but if you have power - and heat - I see no reason to leave faucets running assuming you're well insulated and follow the other normal precautions you've mentioned. I'm assuming your inbound water is coming from underground, and here in the PNW that is almost certainly below the in-ground frost line.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 4:07 pm 
Thanks, JohnnyQuest.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 4:22 pm 
I agree, it gets down to 20+ below at times here at Priest lake and we have never had to leave faucets dripping, but do leave doors under the sink open during those times. On the news it said to keep your house temp no lower than 55 degrees during very cold periods. Plus from what I have gathered, a slow drip is all that is necessary to keep pipes from freezing if needed.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 7:21 pm 
If you have forced air heat and duct work in your crawlspace, heat loss from the duct work is enough to keep pipes from freezing. Although I have experienced situations where plumbing pipe that was located near crawlspace vents have froze. Overhead plumbing can be a big problem ( plumbing in attic spaces / shower rainhead fixtures ) and when this bursts, it causes the most damage. That plumbing pipe should be sandwiched between the ceiling drywall and insulation Honestly, if the house is occupied and fixtures are being used throughout the day ( includes using the bathroom in the middle of the night ) chances of pipes freezing are slim. It's unoccupied home that are most vulnerable Nevertheless, leaving faucets dripping is always a good idea. Also, start dishwasher and clothes washer just before bed ( nighttime )

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 7:40 pm 
Thanks for the tips, bpg. ~z

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSat Dec 24, 2022 4:13 pm 
Conceptually, running dishwasher and clothes washer at night makes sense. But after having a dishwasher melt down and almost cause a fire when it wore out one night I choose to avoid running appliances when nobody is awake. I am probably an outlier and others have not had this experience but it only took once for me.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Dec 24, 2022 6:41 pm 
If you leave wet clothes in a washer all night they might smell moldy the next morning and you will have to rewash them.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Dec 25, 2022 9:15 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
If you leave wet clothes in a washer all night they might smell moldy the next morning and you will have to rewash them.
FYI if you always leave the washer door open when not in use, clean the rubber gasket regularly, and occasionally run a cycle with bleach in it, that problem is less likely to happen.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood