Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Buying firewood off Craigslist.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Dec 28, 2022 12:52 pm 
I had two 30 ft silver fir come down. Branches have been stripped. Not sure what to do with the trees. I don’t want the wood. What’s the best way to get rid of them?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 28, 2022 1:34 pm 
I would place an ad on CL or maybe better, a Social Media page. Silver Fir is not the best firewood and is difficult to split, but someone should want it. A private say Facebook group would be safer than some random person off CL.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Dec 28, 2022 2:54 pm 
If you signup on NextDoor.com then your post will just be available for other NextDoor members in your neighborhood

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 12:29 am 
Here's what you need to understand about these internet-based applications. I know the internet scene!!!!!! Look heres the deal you never know with these!! They are internet-based!!!

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 8:30 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
I had two 30 ft silver fir come down. Branches have been stripped. Not sure what to do with the trees. I don’t want the wood. What’s the best way to get rid of them?
Craigslist or offerup are the best and the ones I use to find my wood. Depends on how big the rounds are and how difficult it is to get them to the road. If the rounds are quartered and right by the road it will move fast.

none
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 5:22 pm 
I was wishing that I had some red fir to go with the other wood I have and today I found where one had snapped off the top half which was pushing some type of deciduous tree over and almost on to the road , looks to be a hardwood, not sure what it is yet, could be alder, there is a bit of it here in N Idaho, but a different variety from WWa. So the trees were on my property so that's cool, next thing is to fell the bottom half of the tree, maybe 20" or so in diameter, but free wood anyway. Life on the homestead...then just before cutting the trees I was shoveling a room and fell off, but not too far down and was lucky not injured. I need to get some help around here, getting too old for this.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 5:27 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
If you are on Facebook I recommend you join the local groups. Gold bar and sultan(with area code). Ask there. Some cut, split, and donate to the needy. Some because they are needy. Some for a living. Both pages are good for keeping up with current affairs.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 5:34 pm 
I agree Ale. I still use CL but you have to be careful, many people like to meet in a public setting, parking lot, witnesses and cameras...sad it's come to that. So Facebook and other groups would be safer since you can search someones profile/history and the private groups are usually pretty well moderated. Some one can use it, probably be a good piece for someone with a planer or just firewood.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 5:38 am 
I admittedly use craigslist, and to buy firewood. Not fir though. We have a pizza oven that we use mostly hardwood in. I usually search wenatchee Craigslist for fruit wood. There is always some from the pros, but occassionally there are small scale guys. Most sell based on a full apple bin. Last time I drove over to east wenatchee and met an old couple with a small orchard. They just happen to be the ones who run the fruit stand in gold bar.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 9:21 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
some red fir
This is the only tree I am aware of that takes the common name of "red fir:" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abies_magnifica ...but that would mean that you missed your left turn on I-90 and took I-5 to California instead! clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 24, 2023 7:55 pm 
Red Fir, lol. I am obviously still learning about trees, I picked it up from some others that refer to Doug Fir as Red Fir, because of the inside color. A friend and I were pondering what might have caused a double fatality head on collision south of Priest lake last Sept. The truck travelling south was loaded down with firewood in the bed and had just went around a curve to the drivers side when he crossed, and hit an S-10 head on. The young guy in the S-10 was on my cribbage team here last winter. My friend speculated that his truck might have been over-loaded causing the front end of the truck to be light, causing under-steer. No way of knowing that is actually what caused it but it's something to consider that never crossed my mind.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:26 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Red Fir, lol. I am obviously still learning about trees, I picked it up from some others that refer to Doug Fir as Red Fir, because of the inside color. A friend and I were pondering what might have caused a double fatality head on collision south of Priest lake last Sept. The truck travelling south was loaded down with firewood in the bed and had just went around a curve to the drivers side when he crossed, and hit an S-10 head on. The young guy in the S-10 was on my cribbage team here last winter. My friend speculated that his truck might have been over-loaded causing the front end of the truck to be light, causing under-steer. No way of knowing that is actually what caused it but it's something to consider that never crossed my mind.
I thought all fir was red fir. Except maybe silver fir, which I don't think I've seen before. I overloaded my ram 1500 with yew firewood one year. Drove it from West Seattle, past Shoreline, basically riding the frame the whole time. And I was on no sleep because it was right after my night shift. Scary looking back at it. Yew makes some damn good wood though. And the knots turn a deep purple after drying.

none