Forum Index > Gear Talk > What's old is new: Tarptent Preamble
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 5:59 pm 
Just saw this on the Tarptent website. From Tarptent: I have used many tents and tarp shelters in my lifetime but have always been extremely impressed with Tarptents and their design. I remember when Henry offered his design plans on the interwebs and then started making them because people asked. So what is old has become new again with this Preamble. It is only 18 oz. So If you wanna go "old-school" maybe try this out. Rumi <~~~~~old-school but too old for school

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Dec 11, 2022 10:34 pm 
I was going to post this part in my original post but forgot. So here are the original plans that Henry Shires shared with the hiking community. I remember seeing this and thinking of making one myself. Click on the links on the left hand side and go down a great rabbit hole on hiking and stuff from 1999. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 5:28 pm 
Simple works for me and 18 oz seems nice.

rossb

rossb
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 5:56 pm 
Tarptent (Henry Shires) makes very high quality tents at a great price. There is a wide range of options too. The Preamble is a nice, simple tent at a good weight, especially for two people. I'm not sure if I would ever go with a floorless tent. I would be afraid of mosquitoes somehow sneaking in. It would probably work well in the fall though.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Dec 29, 2022 11:09 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
here are the original plans that Henry Shires shared with the hiking community
I was chatting with a coworker about hiking, lightweight tents and such, and mentioned the Henry Shires tent. He said that he knew Mr. Shires quite well, and in fact Mr. Shires had borrowed their sewing machine for his first tent!

RumiDude
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Jan 08, 2023 1:27 pm 
Nice!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 08, 2023 2:37 pm 
rossb wrote:
I'm not sure if I would ever go with a floorless tent. I would be afraid of mosquitoes somehow sneaking in.
Ya, not a fan of floorless tents, might as well just use a tarp. I used my floorless tent least trip to the winds, I use a dollar store clear table cloth for a ground cover and even though I carefully tucked it in, the mozzies still found their way in. Then there is the issue of camping where there are snakes...plus one other drawback, camping in a severe windstorm you floorless tent will turn into a kite, with each gust of wind I had to hold onto the poles (tightly) to keep it from blowing away.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 7:25 pm 
I bought one of the original Henry Shires Tarp Tents when it came out about 20 years ago. Forget the name. Rainbow??? A single with a floor and the bug netting. The opening and fly are on the side. A small mesh vent on the other side. Freestanding with the light collapsible poles that you connect and thread through a sleeve that runs along the top. No need to use a trekking pole. It is excellent. I still use it as my primary 3-season. And it was only a little over $100. Very light and packs down very small. It's encouraging to see an attempt to return to the simple excellence of the originals.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 7:50 pm 
I agree, the Rainbow is a good tent, I like the double rainbow best, never owned one, just borrowed or hiked with people that have them. I really should get one but don 't really like buying (most) things new, maybe someone might have one they want to part with?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.