Forum Index > Gear Talk > I have too much stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fn1889m

fn1889m
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 10:45 am 
A few years ago I organized my gear into plastic bins and felt semi triumphant. But lately they have become too full. I find I buy cheap stuff without realizing how much cr_p I already have. Whenever I hit Costco (or Goodwill or an Eddie Bauer outlet store) I grab a pair of gloves, pile hat, nylon or poly hiking pants or top, wool socks, etc. By the time I put it into the “collection” it’s obvious that I am so well stocked up on Costco Head brand jogging gloves that I can outfit a small army. Nylon/polyester hiking pants are the worst. Or maybe it’s those damn Nylon Columbia shirts that end up at Goodwill but look like a bargain at $7.95. Or those $39 EB down puffies . Or that $45 Ice axe I saw at the pawn shop that I really did not need. Even the Garmin Inreach that people carry up to Cascade Pass on days the parking lot is too full to swing a cat. And ground covers. Water bottles. Tarps. Old packs. Stoves that failed. And it’s not just hiking stuff, though a lot of it is. I probably have enough Costco underwear to last the rest of my life. I am exaggerating. But has anyone had experience getting rid of half their hiking stuff, for its own sake? Rented a Uhaul for a giant goodwill drop off donation? What did you trash and what did you keep? Did you really miss anything? I have read about people who reduced their possessions to a minimum and tossed anything they have not used in the last 12 months. So only keeping one sleeping bag, one tarp and ground cloth, one pack, just the gear you would carry or wear? Or is it possible that Costco will stop selling those damn gloves?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 12:49 pm 
I'm the lucky guy that received the DCF tent given away in November by "Route Loser." I got home and set it up the next morning. I was very pleased with the 2 pounds lighter that acquisition had made my kit. BUT as I looked at my plastic bins of gear it hit me...... How much crap is enough? So since this epiphany, my gear shelves have been gone thru from top to bottom and I have proudly given away/redistributed: two packs, two tents, a kitchen kit, a first aid kit, two pairs of shoes and multiple odd bits like your glove-hat story. Good luck and spread the extra gear like Christmas spirit! Seeing the smile on the S&R guy's face who got my old best tent was my best Christmas gift!

illegitimi non carborundum!

Route Loser, Cyclopath
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 3:08 pm 
I used to lead groups of teens on five day backpacking trips in the Cascades. I had extra pads, sleeping bags, headlights, cups, bowls, spoons, tents, packs, bags, etc. When I quit doing that about a decade ago, I had a backpaxcker yard sale and got over $1000. IU still had plenty of stuff. I gave away to people I knew needed it. I still have lots of extra stuff that I don't use. I am hoping to rehome some of the good stuff. I have several stoves and various pots. I have two MSR Dragonfly, an XGK, and a WhisperLite. I have a small bin with lots of tent stakes of all sorts. I really don't have enough to justify a yard sale, but I would like to find good homes for the stuff. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Cyclopath
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 3:19 pm 
After clearing out my parents house with 5 decades of accumulation, I choose to downsize from my big house to a townhouse so I would have less space accumulate junk. Getting rid of all the stuff in order to fit in a house half the size and from a large yard to none was a good exercise in choosing only the stuff I actually use. A few years later, I moved to NYC and rented my townhouse, this required storing my effects in storage unit, which required an even deeper purge. Anyway, one way to motivate the elimination of the non-essential is to move to a smaller space.

rossb, seawallrunner, RumiDude
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 7:08 pm 
I understand the too much stuff syndrome. I'm in the midst of culling decades worth of books. Over 200 mountaineering books alone. Many signed 1st editions. Heartbreaking endeavor.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

RumiDude, Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 30, 2022 7:45 pm 
I gave a down jacket and vest away this season, I'm waiting to see a friend to give two grid fleeces. It feels good to get this stuff to people who will use it. I have too much.

Gil

Gil
PostSat Dec 31, 2022 8:20 am 
Over the past year, I've made several trips to Alaska to clean out my mother's house. It was startling how much there was, in all sorts of nooks and crannies, and she wasn't even especially a pack rat. Each time I got home, I went through my stuff and threw or gave stuff away. My goal is one box, or one bag of clothes, or SOMETHING, every week. I don't want my kids to have to do it for me. And as I go, I realize how little I really need. Heck, I'm even paring down my outdoor gear!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

seawallrunner, RumiDude
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 6:20 pm 
Maybe donate some to the Boy Scouts?

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostThu Jan 05, 2023 11:18 pm 
Throw out moldy stuff and anything that isn't in good enough shape to be donated. Find the easiest way to give away the rest or sell it. I hate seeing usable gear go into the trash because there is always someone who can use it.

Chief Joseph
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jan 07, 2023 5:05 pm 
I need to post some boots here...new asolo ones and several leather women's boots .. .I stopped at 5 nice rei. And other tents..7 pads...4 nice bags ..a great new 6 person dome tent ..seam taped ..for like 13$ retail 220$... I really need to stop... We're trying to get out on rafting trips that are easy so that's been my excuse for the last year... And yes got a free 13ft.raft i used on Yakima canyon.. Paid 550$ for a 16 ft. Older 1 with frame and 2 sets oars..cooler..gear net..ammo cans ect... But I did make a great fire pan, grill for cost of welding...copied 1 that.retails for 300$ That and the toilet tank for 130$...we're the last 2 pieces of rafting required gear . I don't even want to mention the 5 cots... Who the hell could pass that raft deal up?? Oh and Who wants to go rafting class 3 for 4 days???

trestle

trestle
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 am 
RumiDude wrote:
I am hoping to rehome some of the good stuff. I have several stoves and various pots. I have two MSR Dragonfly, an XGK, and a WhisperLite. I have a small bin with lots of tent stakes of all sorts.
I'm in Sequim and could provide a good rehome. I have two teens and a nephew in his early 20s and between them and their friends, we are always looking for any extra gear. Thanks.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostThu May 11, 2023 1:15 pm 
Waterman wrote:
I understand the too much stuff syndrome. I'm in the midst of culling decades worth of books. Over 200 mountaineering books alone. Many signed 1st editions. Heartbreaking endeavor.
Do you have a list of what you intend to get rid of? I and probably others on here might want to buy some of them.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 11, 2023 2:07 pm 
Best way to get your stuff sold/seen is to not post here, but in the trading post section, folks.
Waterman wrote:
I'm in the midst of culling decades worth of books. Over 200 mountaineering books alone. Many signed 1st editions. Heartbreaking endeavor.
Just spotted this post. Gawd, I hope you sold them to a collector or one of our indie bookstores,rather than dumping them at Goodwill or Half Price Books (the loss leader in what you could get). I've got some to unload myself, they will likely go to someplace like Henderson's in Bellingham.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
huron

huron
PostThu May 11, 2023 11:00 pm 
The front porch Craigslist store works well. The Craigslist free section doesn't bring the sort of "customer" that I want, so I post in the sporting good section at a very attractive price and just leave the item out on the porch with instructions to put payment under the mat. Sometimes I will put free things out too along with the item and they are generally taken with it. This works really well for things less than about $60. Only one $10 item left the porch without a payment after dozens of transactions so far. Keeps the garage tidy, camping kit up to date and requires very little time.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun May 14, 2023 10:02 am 
Still have major titles 1st editions dating from 1920 to 2000. If you want a hard to find book on climbing I may have it. Priced at 1/3 of Biblio prices or other site you might point to.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost