Forum Index > Trail Talk > If your ride is stuck at the bitter end of barely passable logging road, who you gonna call?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Jan 01, 2023 10:48 am 
Maybe these guys https://offroadportal.org/ We had finished a hike a few years ago and were driving down the Pilchuck road when we came upon a car that had got too close to the shoulder trying to dodge potholes and slid off the road. It had not rolled but was resting at a steep angle as though it might. Just as we got there, several beefy looking trucks came up the road. We did not stay so I don't know if they were able to winch the car back onto the road or not. In general, I know that these volunteer get-you-unstuck groups have ton of knowledge. They practice and train newbies. No doubt some groups are more structured than others. If you are on anything like a main road - call a regular tow service. But if you are back in the bush, maybe one of these groups can help. And if you do use their help no doubt it would be appreciated if you cover their gas cost and a beer round.

Navy salad, mosey, some names, RichP, fourteen410
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostSun Jan 01, 2023 9:01 pm 
The local boys show up to find two shorts over lycra types next to a stuck Prius with rainbow, PETA and coexist stickers. That aughta go well.

Anne Elk, Chief Joseph
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Jan 02, 2023 9:38 am 
Ive mostly heard people recommend WORN. Washington offroad recovery network (888) 840-9676 https://www.facebook.com/WORNPNW/ Not to be confused with Warn winches, which sponsors the offroad portal.

vibramhead
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 02, 2023 9:48 am 
Years ago a neighbor of mine was a 4x4 enthusiast -- going out and getting stuck and then having buddies get you unstuck seemed to be the main activity. I when on an excursion with him once, his rig got stuck. Buddies rig got stuck trying to free his rig. While they were waiting for the next round of buddies to show up, I walked back home. This was on abandoned roads on Cougar Mountain before it became a county park. Those 4x4 guys love doing this sort of stuff. But they don't always know what they are doing.

Navy salad
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 02, 2023 7:08 pm 
I was riding my motorcycle up at Walker Valley north of Arlington when I came across a younger guy sitting in his truck drinking a beer. I asked him if he was OK and he said yes some friends were on the way to help him out. An off road bike is better imo, pretty hard to get stuck, but also no beer holder. Once in a while I would come across some people hiking and always thought, "Why would someone hike when they can ride?"....Then I found this place, and the rest is just painful history. doh.gif ...but good photos and memories.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

CS
PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 2:31 am 
I've watched a few of these videos... https://www.youtube.com/@MattsOffRoadRecovery

day_hike_mike, CS
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 6:15 am 
Ghost busters

Tom
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 1:17 pm 
Granite Falls Towing had a crane for this purpose; hikers who parked too close to the shoulder at the old Perry Creek trail head were frequent customers.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 10:23 am 
PowderPawn wrote:
I've watched a few of these videos... https://www.youtube.com/@MattsOffRoadRecovery
These are extremely addictive for reasons I can't quit sort. Need to get a shirt next time in Hurricane, hopefully not for getting my car stuck.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 6:45 pm 
CS wrote:
I always have good experiences with locals going out of their way for me like anyone else
This is consistent with 90% of my experiences IRL out in the woods. E.g. I was exploring some clear cuts one summer with an eye toward winter ski runs when some 4x4 riders observed me hiking up the clear cut. When I reached the logging road they had been riding their machines on, they offered me a beer. The 10% has mainly been snowmobiles that thought it was fun to spray me in the face with their "rooster tails" after passing me on a shared use trail, that and "rolling coal" pickups with lots of shiny chrome in "horse country" that enjoy slowing down as they pass me on my bike and then gun it once the tail pipe is right in front of me , belching a plume of black smoke for me to ride through, something that folks driving beat up working farm pickups never do.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 7:26 pm 
slabbyd wrote:
PowderPawn wrote:
These are extremely addictive for reasons I can't quit sort. Need to get a shirt next time in Hurricane, hopefully not for getting my car stuck.
I've watched several of his videos. They where kind of good. Then this... https://www.utvdriver.com/story/utv-news/matts-off-road-recovery-found-guilty-insurance-fraud/

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostThu Jan 05, 2023 12:20 pm 
I've been a member of the WORN FB group for at least a year. It's been fun watching them go from an idea to a very active, busy, and organized team with call out procedures, regions, and leads. They would be my first call if I needed help getting un-stuck!

ChinookPass
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Jan 05, 2023 11:49 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
https://www.utvdriver.com/story/utv-news/matts-off-road-recovery-found-guilty-insurance-fraud/
They were a bit skimpy on details, but I formed an impression that at least some of his customers were probably willing accomplices. Perhaps they should have been snagged as well? The WORN people seem a very together and helpful lot. Good on them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 06, 2023 9:52 am 
CS wrote:
Randito wrote:
then gun it once the tail pipe is right in front of me , belching a plume of black smoke for me to ride through
Were you wearing spandex?
This has multiple times. Including when I'm riding a recumbent packed with camping gear on a multi week trip wearing baggy shorts and a construction worker reflective vest.

CS

CS
PostMon Jan 23, 2023 11:08 am 
Randito wrote:
CS wrote:
Randito wrote:
then gun it once the tail pipe is right in front of me , belching a plume of black smoke for me to ride through
Were you wearing spandex?
This has multiple times. Including when I'm riding a recumbent packed with camping gear on a multi week trip wearing baggy shorts and a construction worker reflective vest.
That’s lame… I guess there’s still hooligans out there. Also these are an alternative to a winch, and work on normal cars. I’ve found they work well if I mess up on a forest road and no one is around. They cost way more than you’d want, but are pretty safe in that there’s no metal parts and they definitely work. https://www.bogout.com/