Forum Index > Trail Talk > What happened at Cabin Creek yesterday?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 1:42 pm 
Does anybody know? About an hour before sunset. There were a few ambulances leaving too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 3:40 pm 
My neighbors best friend lives five miles up that road. Ill ask him today.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 11:50 am 
It sounds like a skier feel and broke a leg. frown.gif How terrible it would be to become immobilized on the snow! Skiing is hard work that keeps you warm, without it the cold sets in quickly. I hope the skier is ok!

pula58

pula58
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 5:43 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
How terrible it would be to become immobilized on the snow! Skiing is hard work that keeps you warm, without it the cold sets in quickly. I hope the skier is ok!
Agreed! That's why my wife and I always each bring some sort of closed cell foam pad, and lots of very warm clothes, even on a day hike, even on a day XC ski trip, snowshoe, for anything and everything.

seawallrunner, HikingBex, Cyclopath, Chief Joseph, Now I Fly
rossb

rossb
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 6:26 pm 
Now I wonder where they were. I was there as well, skiing Amabalis. When I came down, one of the trucks had a snow cat on it, but it wasn't unloaded. Like in your pictures, they were parked closer to the parking lot, not the entrance to where most people ski. Maybe they got hurt on the South Loop. [Edit: I see by your last picture that the snow cat was unloaded on the northern part of the ski area. So they must have got hurt on the main runs.] That really sucks. The conditions were really icy and hard down below; I couldn't stick my poles into the snow until I got up towards the "Y" of Amabalis. I feel sorry for whoever got hurt.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 04, 2023 8:53 pm 
rossb wrote:
That really sucks. The conditions were really icy and hard down below; I couldn't stick my poles into the snow until I got up towards the "Y" of Amabalis. I feel sorry for whoever got hurt.
Very fast and slippery too. I was gliding further after each hill than I can remember in many years of skiing there. I heard a rumour since posting this that somebody fell hard on the last, long hill before Viking rejoins The Berg. The person who said this thought they were ok and kept skiing. The timing sounds possible but not super likely. If I'm understanding correctly - it was uphill of the junction - this doesn't seem like an especially likely place for a bad accident.

John_B

John_B
PostThu Jan 05, 2023 8:30 am 
In the last couple years in the Methow there have been multiple broken hips that occurred on flat or nearly flat trails. Falling on an icy day is all too easy and hurts!