Forum Index > Trail Talk > NWHikers comes of age
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 12:58 pm 
It's been 21 years (and 1 week) since MCaver and Tom Davenport brought our website online, just a few days after MtnGoat's original version crashed (due to the unceremonious departure of his web base). Tom has been working ever since to keep the website running, and had fun adding new features and smoothing out rough spots, making NWHikers.net one of the very best websites on the net. I have no computer skills, myself. My contribution was using email pyramids to hold the group together, while the site was down. As a result, Scrooge is the name of the first ordinary member shown on our membership list. 21 years. wink.gif But a fair number of us go back further than that. Through more than a year in MtnGoat's version of the club, into a small subdivision of the Washington Trails Association. It was a small group of hikers who were also explorers and who, most of all, enjoyed sharing their experience.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!

peter707, pjhorst, jaysway, pimaCanyon, Nancyann, Fedor, lopper, marta, Chief Joseph, Cam, Aussie, graywolf, Joey, Bramble_Scramble, Bootpathguy, grannyhiker, Anne Elk, reststep, fourteen410, RichP, Gil, JonnyQuest, dave allyn, I'm Pysht, seawallrunner, Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 1:15 pm 
It’s an anniversary worth celebrating. Congrats to all who contributed. Those 21 years have moved the clock forward for all of us. We all have mountain memories. How do we keep them from fading other than to keep hiking? See you all out there or through your trip reports!

Anne Elk
Damian

Damian
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 3:27 pm 
Been a good run. I miss the Teeth of Larch gatherings high in the hills. Great to see a good number from the original gang before WTA gave us the boot smile.gif.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 3:43 pm 
I miss the sense of humor; the bantering, the fun. But aside from whining about the old days and how it used to be; I'm thankful for the continued knowledge and sharing of history and other mysteries. Thanks Scrooge for the heads up on the anniversary.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

solohiker
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 4:54 pm 
I don’t hike as much as I used to, and most of my weeks are spent on the other side of the country, advocating for and caring for an ailing parent. I still have my residence in Vancouver but feel so far away these days. NWHikers reminds me of the places I have been to, and still aspire to, on the Best Coast and environs. I am there virtually with you, and someday I will return to be there in person with you as well. So happy that this site still exists, is still active, and continues to provide interesting and engaging content. Glad to be part of it all, in the past and hopefully in the future too.

pimaCanyon, chilge, williswall, lopper, Anne Elk, Chief Joseph
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 5:01 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I miss the sense of humor; the bantering, the fun.
We don't have that? Maybe not as much as you remember, but I find a fair amount of it in the posts of a number of "regulars". Not to mention all I've learned since discovering the site, not just about the outdoors and hiking, either. What a diverse group we are. biggrin.gif Thanks, Tom, for all you do to make the site go, from a non-techie and one of the newer members. BTW - my calendars arrived - they look great. up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

pimaCanyon, Cam, pula58, seawallrunner, grannyhiker
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 6:32 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
It's been 21 years (and 1 week)
Thanks for emailing us back then, keeping us in the loop, Scrooge. (By the way, your name is so appropriate this time of year!) I've not been hiking all that much either, but still read this site regularly.

snowmonkey, lopper
BW

BW
PostThu Dec 22, 2022 9:08 pm 
Though a registered user for quite some time, I mostly read rather than post. Still, this site has been an invaluable source of trail info. Cheers to those keeping the site running!

pimaCanyon
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 12:25 pm 
When I discovered the site in 2007 and signed up I felt like a Johnny-come-lately, missing out. Now 15 years later I've been here for 2/3rds of the time, checking it every day. I've even gone back and read many of the early posts. Tom has done a great job keeping things running and adding helpful improvements. Kudos to all the moderators too. Best of all, IMO, it's on on "our" own ad-free platform that's not jerked around by massive social media tech companies.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

pimaCanyon, chilge, Bushwacker, lopper, Aussie, Kim Brown, seawallrunner, JonnyQuest, Snowdog, Anne Elk, JimK  joker
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 24, 2022 4:29 pm 
Thanks Tom!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 24, 2022 6:30 pm 
Has it only been 21 years? Seems longer, ha! Hopefully we can keep it going for another 21. Thanks for the positive feedback. This is a special place for sure, thanks to all who continue to contribute value.

pjhorst, pimaCanyon
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Dec 24, 2022 7:25 pm 
With over approximately 15,218 members, how many non members do you calculate have viewed nwh? I know I would have hiked less without the beta and inspiration of nwhikers! Thanks Tom!

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostMon Dec 26, 2022 10:43 am 
A big thanks to Tom for creating a civil gathering space for those with a passion for hiking and exploration. Many of my own trips have been inspired by those willing to share their experience scratching at the margins of our Wilderness areas.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 4:17 pm 
Thanks of course to Tom and Mac. Has anyone heard from Mr. Caver lately? Id like to know how he's doing these days.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 4:38 pm 
I can't believe I have been on here 16 years...and now I am old. bawl.gif "You never thought you'd be alone This far down the line But I know what's been on your mind You're afraid it's all been wasted time...". Not wasted, but too much procrastination on hikes I want to do, but there's still time. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.