Forum Index > Trip Reports > Niagara Falls, New York (Dec 30, 2022)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Dec 31, 2022 5:50 pm 
My last trip of 2022 was also my annual winter trip to Niagara Falls. I usually make this in February, by which time the snow and ice has had enough time to accumulate, but decided to go early this season due to the heavy snowfall in the region. Unfortunately, a spate of warm weather over the past two days had melted most of the snow away. Grrr. Oh well, Niagara Falls was still an impressive sight as always.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

meck, neek, John Mac, runup, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jan 03, 2023 9:59 pm 
It’s hard to imagine how much water flows over those falls.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jan 08, 2023 11:39 pm 
Part of my old neighborhood! Galiwalker, I didn't know it was possible to go down to the Cave of the Winds walkway in winter. I was under the impression that it was deconstructed (or partially so) in the winter to keep it from getting crushed by ice. Even if it wasn't taken down, it's surprising anyone's allowed down there in winter.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 6:48 am 
You are correct in that one wasn't allowed to go down to Cave of the Winds in winter, and that they deconstruct the majority of the boardwalk. However, there has always been a permanent walkway that leads one to the deconstructed part. The very first time I was lucky enough to make it there, they were celebrating the 125th anniversary of the State Park (Niagara Falls is America's first State Park) and allowed anyone who was there at the time to take the elevator down. That was Feb 2010. A few years ago - I don't know when exactly - they opened it up for the general public to go down to that permanent section in winter (with a ticket of course).

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Anne Elk