Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Higher resolution lidar imagery for Middle Fork Snoqualmie valley
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Dec 19, 2022 9:10 pm 
It's hard to keep up with all the mapping work being done by various agencies. But this week I discovered that there was updated and higher resolution lidar imagery for much of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie valley. It's labeled as a 2020 dataset, but I can't tell if that's when it was taken or posted. Some sections of trails show up too. This presents hours of fun for me to explore ground-altering artifacts of the logging era in the valley. See the attached annotated photos for the comparison with the previous 2003 lidar imagery.
Area covered by this dataset
Area covered by this dataset
2003 lidar
2003 lidar
2020 lidar
2020 lidar
These came from the Washington Lidar Portal, specifically the "Snoqualmie Midfork 2020". Lidar projects have limited scope so every area will get updates at different times. Looking forward, someday we as hikers will have high resolution elevation data available on our cell phone apps to easily pick out the best route through a cliffy area. See the USGS 3d Elevation Program. Some will applaud that, some will not.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Now I Fly, zhenya, mosey, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostMon Dec 26, 2022 5:42 pm 
That's an awesome website, thanks for posting it.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Dec 26, 2022 8:50 pm 
For what it's worth Caltopo uses the 3DEP data you mention for their Shaded Relief and Slope Angle Shading layers

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostThu Jan 05, 2023 12:35 pm 
I remember when we received our first LIDAR delivery at the GIS shop I was working in around 2003, it was crazy to suddenly see road cuts, old slides, and other features that just weren't visible on the older digital elevation models. This is an awesome story map that WA DNR created showing how they use LIDAR. There's a few portions of the Seattle Fault on Bainbridge island, literally in people's back yards, they didn't know existed until they saw them on LIDAR. https://wadnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=36b4887370d141fcbb35392f996c82d9

Now I Fly