Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a limit to how many dogs you can walk off leash in unincorporated Snohomish County?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
uww

uww
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:21 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again here, dog owners are largely oblivious to the negative effects their animals have on others out in the backcountry.
As someone who appreciates fauna, I would add most people are oblivious the the negative effects dogs have on wildlife in the backcountry.

Kascadia, graywolf, cascadeclimber, RumiDude
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:36 pm 
Ahhh, the yearly I HATE DOGS ranting thread. There aren't too many dogs, there are too many people. Now, how many pages will this go? I'm thinking 8. Anyone else have a guess?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Roly Poly, SpookyKite89
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:43 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm on team cat. smile.gif
This is not a fish license, It's a dog license with the word dog crossed out and fish written in Crayon. They were out of the proper form.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:51 pm 
Treeswarper, I started this thread to (1) try to find out if there is a limit on the number of off leash dogs allowed to run loose in unincorporated Snohomish County and (2) to let people know this dogwalker with ten off leash dogs uses the road to Explorer Falls and an adjacent trail several days a week. I did not intend for it to be a thread about hating dogs.

graywolf, HikingBex
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:53 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Ahhh, the yearly I HATE DOGS ranting thread. There aren't too many dogs, there are too many people.
I suspect most posting here understand the distinction between a dog's responsibilities and the dog owner's (or walker's) responsibilities. It's not about "HATE DOGS". But yeah, tis the season.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm 
Don't feed the troll, folks.

ree
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 1:39 pm 
Randito wrote:
This is not a fish license, It's a dog license with the word dog crossed out and fish written in Crayon. They were out of the proper form.
You mean the man in the dog detector van from the Ministry of Housinge? embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 2:12 pm 
Paul F. Tompkins has a hilarious bit about clueless dog owners

Sculpin
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 4:46 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
I did not intend for it to be a thread about hating dogs.
Using a trigger word like "dog," what did you expect? clown.gif

Roly Poly
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:08 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Ahhh, the yearly I HATE DOGS ranting thread.
And the annual boldly leaping to the wrong conclusion post in the thread. I don't hate dogs. I actually like them. I strongly dislike inconsiderate dog owners. I don't enjoy stepping around turd bags or watching them degrade over weeks, finally letting loose of rancid sh## onto the trail. I don't enjoy having a forced interaction with someone's dog on a trail (it's 'friendliness' is not relevant to this). I don't enjoy being threatened for preparing to defend myself from a charging dog. I don't enjoy having dogs get into my legs when I am hiking. If I visit the home of someone who owns a dogs I expect an interaction with that dog. On a trail or other public place, that interaction should be at my choice, not the choice of the dog owner who is using a 40 foot 'leash' or no leash at all. And seriously, pick up the bags of sh## and carry them. If you don't like doing that, don't bring your dog.
treeswarper wrote:
There aren't too many dogs, there are too many people.
As trails (and other public spaces) become more crowded it becomes more important to be situationally aware and aware of the effects of our behavior on others. Unfortunately, what I've seen over the last thirty years is less and less of both. This isn't at all limited to dogs. I see people sitting or standing blocking trails taking a break, large increases in garbage and graffiti, parking stupidity, the rise in nonsense about 'right way' on trails, blaring music, etc. "I'm in a wild place. How will my behavior affect the experience of others seeking to enjoy this wild place?"

If not now, when?

Mountainpines, MtnManic, ree, Cyclopath, Alpine Pedestrian, graywolf
huron

huron
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:58 am 
Here's the more troubling trend with the surplus of post-pandemic pups. Marymoor Park in Redmond requires a permit for walking services. I think they are required to wear a vest with a registration number. The rule doesn't seem to be enforced or make a difference tho. I rarely see the vests anymore. Dogs are now just dropped off at the park unsupervised, presumably by owners. This will probably escalate as more people are required to get back to an office.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 10:07 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Ahhh, the yearly I HATE DOGS ranting thread
Like as if Nancyann hates dogs. embarassedlaugh.gif Tell us you didn't read the post without saying you didn't read the post. doh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 10:35 am 
I read the post. These posts will invariably turn into a dogs must be banned "discussion" and the same comments as every other year. Want to ban or regulate something? Go after those retractable leashes. Cujo is on one end and the human on the other isn't paying attention so Cujo has X amount of feet to do what he wants. Moron on the other end is busy texting. I've run into that when venturing out into the overpopulated wasteland of the west side. While we're at it, let's ban phones and earbuds. Trolling? No, just pointing out this will turn into the usual dog hating thread. I guess I have broken into the echo chamber. If it makes you happy, I do not plan to ever get another dog. The world is less dog friendly as time goes on. And no, I don't want to stop my walk so you can pet my cute puppy, who is 9 years old. That's the other side of this. Six pages to go....

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Roly Poly
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 10:37 am 
No one said anything about banning dogs but you! embarassedlaugh.gif

Cyclopath, uww, cascadeclimber
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 10:39 am 
An interesting topic. I recently came across a commercial dog walking service at Bridle Trails State Park. There we four handlers and over twenty dogs. The dogs were all well behaved. As the lead dogs needed to poop it planted the idea in many of the other dogs. The responsible handlers efficiently cleaned up after there the pack, completely blocking the main trail. The process takes a while as you could image. I reminded the hound how lucky he was, and we took a side trail around the shitshow. The End