Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gil

Gil
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 11:48 pm 
I was lucky to find my favorite hiking shoe of all time (though I didn't know it then) at a Goodwill store about six years ago. It was a North Face Hedgehog, a low top, Gore-Tex trail shoe. I have bought all of my hiking shoes and boots at Goodwill over the past 10 or so years, sometimes with good results, sometimes without. I have not been a fan of North Face products, mainly because of their incessant advertising and ubiquity. But these shoes were an immediate hit. I finally wore down the first pair in a desert hike with my daughter over rough terrain, then went looking for a replacement, deciding that I would buy them new if I had to. Lo, North Face had changed the design slightly, and now they didn't fit me as well! So I went on ebay and FB market to see if I could find another pair like the ones from Goodwill. And I found not one but two pairs and bought them. One of those pairs is now getting a bit worn, so I bought ANOTHER pair off ebay and tucked them away for when the first three pairs eventually get tossed. Which is a long way of saying: I think everyone has different feet and different needs, and buying shoes based on online advice may or may not serve you well. If you're lucky to find a shoe that really does the trick for you, buy a couple of pairs!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

TeeJay, Anne Elk, Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 9:21 am 
Folks here probably already know this, but around year 5-7, a sole can delaminate from a boot due to hydrolysis. This is not a manufacturing defect; it just is. Prevention techniques are: - Clean your boots and dry them after use. - Do not store near a heat source, but in a dry well-ventilated place. - Use them, at least occasionally. Don't let them just sit around. I'm a big fan of all-leather boots. I've now used two pairs of Asolo TPS 520 GV Evo (after having previously used numerous other boots, including the popular Asolo Fugitive GTX). The first one had its sole separating from the boot around year-6, which is when I researched the hydrolysis problem - I wasn't sure if this was a manufacturing defect - but the second one is still going strong around year-7, although the tread is quite worn down. I like the all-leather, no-plastic parts, construction because previous boots I've tried failed at the junction of the plastic and the leather. Even though these previous boots were Gore-Tex, waterproofing failed after approximately 6 months. Both my Asolo TPS 520s have yet to leak. My next boot is the Zamberlan Vioz GTX, which is another all-leather construction. I wanted to try out a new brand for a bit of variety, but would have been just as happy getting the Asolo TPS 520 again.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 10:40 am 
GaliWalker - you might just have made the case for old tech - ie, the Norwegian welt: sewn boot. Sealed, of course, with member Ski's favorite treatment, Obernauf's. cool.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

GaliWalker
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 11:43 am 
I just didn’t think then these will go out of style, and these will be discontinued. When you get rave reviews, why would the company stop making what consumers love. So, I learned my lesson right here. I do have a St. Elias pair. But these are great in the winter. I need thicker socks since the shoe tongue rubs on front. These feel heavy. So, I don’t like to wear them when it gets over 80 degrees in the summer. The Vazquez Breeze 2 were light and somehow water proof as well giving me ankle support. I even wore them when not hitting the trails. So my fault I wore them to death. The tread isn’t good. I was slipping on the Colchuck Trail. Actually, I took a fall that took a few days to heal.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 1:42 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
When you get rave reviews, why would the company stop making what consumers love.
It's all about profit margins. The Vornado company made one of the best tabletop fans. Some years later I went to purchase a second one - they'd outsourced overseas, and the materials, etc. were obviously inferior.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Mountainpines
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 4:25 pm 
Recommendations are somewhat useless when it comes to boots. You need to go in store and try on as many boots as you can, walk around, etc. and pick the one that feels best to you. I used to hike in Valsque Sundowners but they eventually discontinued them. After some trial and error I found some lightweight Scarpa boots, can't recall the exact model but that brand fit my feet well. After reducing my pack weight I realized I could hike in tennis shoes for 90% of terrain and they were way more comfortable than boots so started hiking in them, bringing the lightweight Scarpa boots for the other 10%. Years later I developed some foot issues, pretty sure wasn't due to hiking in tennis shoes, just genetics / super high arches which led to neuropathy when standing for very long and now pretty much relegated to plush footwear. Apart from hiking, crocs are my go to daily footwear. My feet complain about anything else. To continue hiking Hoka One One were a life saver. I found some ultra plush Stinson Mid that feel like walking on clouds. They started to wear out and when looking to pick up another pair I found Hoka discontinued them. I was crushed! A few months later I found one retailer exclusively selling them and grabbed a couple pair. Probably should have bought more as they seem to be discontinued again.

Mountainpines, zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 5:02 pm 
Tom wrote:
To continue hiking Hoka One One were a life saver. I found some ultra plush Stinson Mid that feel like walking on clouds. They started to wear out and when looking to pick up another pair I found Hoka discontinued them. I was crushed! A few months later I found one retailer exclusively selling them and grabbed a couple pair. Probably should have bought more as they seem to be discontinued again.
When you have foot issues and need a particular shoe, it can be really good to buy a lot of them in times like this. The NB 840v4 that support my feet the way I need have been replaced by a v5, and they're clearing out the v4 at half price. I'm waiting for a delivery of as many as I can store. smile.gif I know Hoka discounts their shoes too when they discontinue them, for the same reason. You have to get lucky timing to benefit, so when you do, stock up. smile.gif Good luck to the both of us!

Mountainpines
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 5:04 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
buy a lot of them
This advice is why I have 4 brand new pairs of Altra Superior 4.5s in my closet that will probably never be used now that I've found something better lol Hoka One One is awesome though. I hear really good things about the Mafate too. Can't find anywhere to try them on though and I understand they're not as wide as the Speedgoat which might be a problem for me.

Flickr | Strava

Mountainpines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 5:37 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
buy a lot of them
This advice is why I have 4 brand new pairs of Altra Superior 4.5s in my closet that will probably never be used now that I've found something better lol
There's definitely that risk. But when you have a for injury and need something very specific from your footwear, it's a different story. There are literally only two different shoes I can walk around in without wanting to cut my feet off. I don't know much about Tom's situation but high arches don't sound like a temporary thing.

Mountainpines
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 11, 2023 6:03 pm 
Ha, I actually stocked up on those Scarpa boots before the foot issues manifested, but the good news is someone else benefitted from a few pairs of brand new Scarpas, and some really nice all leather LL Bean boots I never was able to use before moving on. Zero regrets overbuying, hiking gear, while expensive, is actually pretty cheap in the big picture. Being able to hike with happy feet is priceless.

Mountainpines, Now I Fly, Cyclopath
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 am 
With boots these days it's The Bigger The Better. Get into something big. Extra thick, heavy material for weight stabilization. The major idea they're promoting is Heavy and Sturdy!! As someone who knows the gear, I advise to get into something big.

Mountainpines
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:38 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
With boots these days it's The Bigger The Better. Get into something big. Extra thick, heavy material for weight stabilization. The major idea they're promoting is Heavy and Sturdy!! As someone who knows the gear, I advise to get into something big.
Good advice from someone with a BigBunion! biggrin.gif

zimmertr
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:54 am 
My Asolo Drifter boots were the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I decided they needed replacing so I bought the same boot, same size, same country of manufacture believing I'd get the same boot again. Boy was I wrong. The new ones are tearing my feet apart.

Mountainpines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 11:08 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
I can't tell if this is about shoes or SUVs.

mike

mike
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 8:47 pm 
I wear Keen Newports 95% of the time but wet isn't an issue around here most days. For summer hiking I like Asolo Cactus ultra light, very soft, thin sole. I exchanged for black superfeet insoles. Microspikes don't work. For that I have Keen Durand I ?? made in Portland. The II's aren't the same. Not sure what I'll get when these wear out.

Mountainpines