Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road to Paradise closed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 9:26 am 
Bruce Albert wrote:
I am constantly bombarded with news that there is a severe and persistent worker shortage in the United States.
There is no worker shortage. There is a pay shortage. And, just like has been pointed out here about MORA's conflicting statements/ads, there is a lot of double-talk. Stevens management claimed there was a worker shortage last year. Not a peep about that from them this year and they are fully open. Did they suddenly find a secret stash of workers that no one else knows about? "Staffing shortage" has been an ebbing and flowing but consistently present excuse for not opening the road in winter for over a decade now. Depending on the audience, budget has been 100% blamed or said to be not relevant. Meanwhile the park Superintendent has chosen to spend millions on unnecessary projects: Blasting in a congressionally designated wilderness to create an additional helipad at Schurman, multiple Camp Muir renovations mostly for the benefit of the guide services, webcams at high camps, internet service at high camps for rangers, cell phone boosters, etc. Yeah, they claim that stuff comes out of a different bucket of money, but I've been in enough orgs to know that this is little more than a carefully crafted setup for doing what they want. They also, like the DNR, consistently fail to account for increased fixed costs when they create new structure (physical electronic, procedural, etc), which directly contributes to operating expense budget problems. Anecdotally, as someone who's been going to the park since the mid-90s, there seems to have been a significant attitude change about the Paradise road in winter. 30 years ago getting the road open, and I think it was consistently earlier then, seemed like a point of pride for the park. Now it really feels like they will use any possible excuse to leave it closed. "Doing less with more" isn't a recipe for enlisting support for a bigger budget.

If not now, when?

fourteen410, vogtski, bullfrog
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 11:02 am 
Quote:
U.S. Rep. Kim Schrier, D-Sammamish, whose district includes Paradise, received a flurry of constituent feedback on this issue and called a meeting with Dudgeon to discuss how weekday access can be restored.
Did this meeting ever happen?
Quote:
On Dec. 16, Dudgeon met with The Mountaineers, Cascade Backcountry Alliance, Washington Trails Association, American Alpine Club, Access Fund, American Mountain Guides Association, Northwest Avalanche Center and Winter Wildlands Alliance to explain the predicament.
Will meeting minutes to this meeting be published, or is anyone from NWHikers in attendance?

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 2:55 pm 
bccarlso wrote:
Will meeting minutes to this meeting be published, or is anyone from NWHikers in attendance?
Go look at page 7 of this thread where I posted Lowell Skoog's notes from that Dec 16 meeting.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 3:38 pm 
Quote:
Claims in the article that housing is available, vs previous statements above in this thread that it is not.
From the article (bold mine): For seasonal employees, staff housing is available at the park. The park posted vacancies on three occasions over the past year at USAJobs.gov, but did not receive enough applications to fill all roles. For permanent employees, the high cost of housing has been a deterrent. “We’ve been told by some people who have tentatively accepted a position that they just couldn’t see themselves living in the area and being able to afford a home,” Dudgeon said. *** As mentioned earlier in the thread seasonal housing is shared (sometimes you even have to share a bedroom). I can tell you from firsthand experience it's usually in poor repair and you might have mice running over you at night. (Not to mention you rarely have cell or internet service.) That might fly when you are young and trying to get your career launched but not if you have other career options, or a spouse/family. So it works okay for the college student doing summer interp, but not for career LE/wastewater system operator/plow driver. (Why would a plow driver work with these conditions when they can probably get a job with WSDOT or many other places and live a normal life not in a shared room in a park?). You are going to want your own place. It used to be possible for permanent park employees to rent and sometimes even buy one somewhere in the vicinity of the park but the whole short term rental business has put an end to that.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 3:51 pm 
I liked the Times article. I think there are even more obstacles that could have been discussed. The Reasoning and Personality test instituted by the Trump administration with the specific goal of making it harder to hire federal employees for example. It is AWFUL. I wonder how many people have applied for jobs at Rainier but failed it and were never referred to the park. When the superintendent says no one is applying, I wonder if people are, but are flunking the test. I also know people that thought they were doing really bad and so didn't complete it and didn't apply for the job they wanted. Or I wonder if former employees are not able to be hired because they failed. This IS happening at parks. You are never told you failed but you are blacklisted from jobs for a year. Again, you don't know this. I've posted this before, but if you haven't read it, you should. https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/03/07/trump-mandated-exams-are/

fourteen410, vogtski
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 4:13 pm 
When I worked for the ONR I was recruited directly. I never applied for the position although I had applied for an internship a year before. I got a call at home from the head of ONR who asked if I wanted to work at NWC at China Lake and het told me it was near the Sierras. I then asked if I needed a Security Clearance and he said, we already did that. CIA uses the same method, if you apply you will be rejected.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 5:50 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I've posted this before, but if you haven't read it, you should. https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/03/07/trump-mandated-exams-are/
Sounds a bit like the old "literacy" tests used to gate keep voter registration in rebel states after reconstruction and before the voting rights act passed. Except there were two tests , one that was very easy and another that a PHD in English would be challenged to pass. How you looked determined which test you were "randomly" assigned. Perhaps this current assessment should be required in order to register as a candidate for federal office, that ought to weed out candidates who have been introducing really stupid legislation.

gb, fourteen410, kiliki
bullfrog

bullfrog
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 9:39 am 
In case you missed it, here is the closure FAQ from the park website https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/paradise-winter-access-faq.htm And here is an account of the December meeting from The Mountaineers website https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/winter-access-changes-for-mount-rainier-national-parks-paradise-area

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 10:17 am 
Thanks altasnob and bullfrog.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 6:23 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
asked if I wanted to work at NWC at China Lake
Did you get to see the petroglyphs there?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 9:24 pm 
Yes when I worked there you could get a pass to go out on the ranges. It had to be arranged in advance and 4x4 only. There was a lot of unexplored ordnance out there and strictly controlled. An amazing place. They have not had civilian tours for the past few years. Did you know there is a full underground hospital out there?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 pm 
Bearing in mind that maybe I'm a bit thick:
cascadeclimber wrote:
There is no worker shortage. There is a pay shortage. And, just like has been pointed out here about MORA's conflicting statements/ads, there is a lot of double-talk. Stevens management claimed there was a worker shortage last year. Not a peep about that from them this year and they are fully open. Did they suddenly find a secret stash of workers that no one else knows about?
Vail's raise of starting wage to $20 and above certainly did not hurt. Neither IMO did the change in management with a new manager experienced in operations and focused on results.. And at the end of the day it's all Vail anyway, with the advantages and disadvantages that brings. A lot of the Vail Koolaid is just plain weird, but it's their toy to run as they please. A bit of research to WSDOT, Stevens, and the NPS revealed to me that starting wage to plow snow is in the neighborhood of $20 everywhere. The ski industry has a hiring safety valve in the form of the J1 visa program by which they are able to hire and import foreign seasonal workers. This provides needed relief when unemployment rates are low and helps keep wages down. I don't know if the NPS has similar hiring alternatives available or not. The ski industry also for years was able to perpetrate the fiction that since they are seasonal and weather dependent, those conditions allowed them to pay less than their counterparts in other industries, plus of course getting away with a 56 hour threshold for overtime and other abuses. Having been privy to the numbers for several years allows me to state with confidence that this is just so much BS.

peter707
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 12:57 pm 
kiliki wrote:
For seasonal employees, staff housing is available at the park. The park posted vacancies on three occasions over the past year at USAJobs.gov, but did not receive enough applications to fill all roles. For permanent employees, the high cost of housing has been a deterrent. “We’ve been told by some people who have tentatively accepted a position that they just couldn’t see themselves living in the area and being able to afford a home,” Dudgeon said.
Pardon me. I had seen this distinction but I assumed that difficulty/expense of long term housing in the Ashford area would not affect the willingness of seasonal employees to accept temporary housing near Ashford, and that full time hires might be willing to live in temporary housing while seeking to find more desirable long term alternatives. I may have been wrong. This is an opportunity to be The Forest Ranger in the Great North Woods. It is unique, and it is assuredly not a 300K-plus posting in South Lake Union with the vast array of ground floor retail, newly built high rise housing, and food choices abounding, all just a short stroll from Jeff's Balls. To live and work in the mountains it may be necessary to trap mice, to fix things, to shovel the sidewalk. Some people would not find these necessities objectionable. I have had to do these things all my adult life and find them a cheap price to pay for how and where i choose to live and work. If vogtski's excellent and richly descriptive posts above do not resonate with a person as to how a winter or two at Rainier would represent a wonderful opportunity unavailable elsewhere, then I don't know what to say. All things are not for all people, I guess.

peter707
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:56 pm 
I'm a little late to the party, only now catching up on the whole thread, but I've been acutely aware of the whole dog and pony show from the minute it was announced. Repeatedly, we are told it is a staffing issue, with a shortage of applicants. You've all discussed wage and housing and testing as parts of that issue, but the one thing I have not seen mentioned is the limitation created by not allowing for full time employees. Someone copied the details from a few of the job listings over on USA.gov (and even having to apply through that nightmare will significantly cull the herd) and they all pretty much stated half time (masked as full-time but seasonal). To me one of the bigger bottom lines is the NPS isn't allowed to hire year round full time employees (because that would require paying benefits and such). While I have no proof of this, I suspect there are more than enough applicants who "could" be hired, but aren't because they've already worked a summer gig. While my experience is overall with FS staff, I believe the same applies to NPS staff - many of them would make any number of sacrifices if only given a full time position. So, where does this nonsense rule come from? Is it set by the head of the NPS, or is s it Congressional? Doesn't matter - it's bullsh## and it needs to go. Our Federal land managers have had their hands tied for far too long and we need to push to let them do the job they were hired to do. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the current Supe has a lot to answer for - the dissemination of information has been abysmal, at best, and, like others have stated, we deserve better. Early this week, the MORA FB page made this announcement... "Fireside Chat with Mount Rainier National Park Superintendent Greg Dudgeon, 2 pm, Friday, January 13th at the Longmire National Park Inn Join park superintendent Greg Dudgeon for an informal one-hour discussion of the opportunities and challenges of overseeing one of the most dynamic and popular national parks in the United States. Gather in the National Park Inn's parlor room, adjacent to the hotel front desk. Coffee and hot chocolate will be provided by park partner Rainier Guest Services. This morning, the topic mysteriously changed with this post... Join superintendent Greg Dudgeon at the Longmire National Park Inn for a fireside chat tomorrow, Friday, January 13th, at 2pm. This chat will be focused on using science to make informed management decisions, including newly published glacier research. Park geologist Scott Beason will be available to answer specific questions on the glacier research. The Q&A will also be open to discussing any questions visitors may have. These chats will be hosted periodically by the National Park Inn to give hotel and park visitors a chance to hear from the park superintendent personally. Never mind that the "chat" was scheduled on a weekday in the middle of the afternoon when any number of interested parties would not be able to attend. Never mind that it was scheduled in the remote location of Longmire, in the infinitesimally small parlour. Never mind that the advance notice was limited at best. Please explain to me the dramatic change of topic. Like, you didn't think we'd notice? WTF! We very much deserve better. I think it's important to make your voice be heard both locally and all the way to DC. Let the Supe know. Let the heads of the NPS know. And by gods, let your congress people know (and make sure they know they can not count in your vote if changes aren't made). I have little faith in the "system", even less faith in changes occurring, and pretty much think our country and it's democracy are effed, but I gotta try. I hope y'all try too. Peace out.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin

JimmyBob, ChinookPass, Anne Elk, peter707, Opus, bullfrog, fourteen410, Bramble_Scramble, vogtski
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Jan 13, 2023 10:19 am 
Gwen wrote:
Never mind that the "chat" was scheduled on a weekday in the middle of the afternoon when any number of interested parties would not be able to attend. Never mind that it was scheduled in the remote location of Longmire, in the infinitesimally small parlour. Never mind that the advance notice was limited at best.
This is the same exact thing Sup. Randy King did in 2013. One meeting, short notice, middle of a work day, middle of nowhere. It's clearly about ticking a box that a meeting was held, and has nothing to do with actually connecting with all the affected parties. "What is the minimum I can do here to show that I did something?" Solid leadership. Not.

If not now, when?